Home Sports Talk
Options

Will the Knicks regret not signing Jeremy Lin?

I think so.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Who knows if he would have fit in with Melo. Either way, I say he has a few nice years with Houston and I wish him the best. Being in New York, I was happy to see the excitement he brought to the Knicks. Too bad he is gone.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Jeremy Lin will miss NY. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I think it was the smartest move the Knicks have made in years, by letting him go.

Lin had a few weeks of over his head basketball. he's not that good. lucky if he'll ever be a second tier point guard.

yes, he has a great following, but that will fade.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was the smartest move the Knicks have made in years, by letting him go.

Lin had a few weeks of over his head basketball. he's not that good. lucky if he'll ever be a second tier point guard.

yes, he has a great following, but that will fade. >>

This.
    Lin's 15 minutes are over.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I think it's obvious Melo didn't want him around and regardless of what he thought it was a awkward roster with both of them... imo Lin should have been the playmaker, not Melo, who could have still gotten his points and minutes without having tocarry the ball. Because of it I think Lin is way better off in Houston. Knick fans won't be happy and talk about a couple basket case organizations... Rockets let him go for nothing then pay him big to get him back, Knicks commit to keeping him at any cost then go sign two guys to take his place... one getting a DUI the first week he was there lol. I hope Lin does well in Houston. I don't think with the PT and role he cannot be a Steve Nash style contributor and make the team better.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Terrible ball handler and downright ugly defender. After his 10 games of fame a few of the top players said they will get him next time around...and they lit him up.

Very smart move by the Knicks. Probably an even dumber move by the Rockets. I've followed the Knicks for years and believe me Knicks management aren't exactly brain surgeons.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im curious who took the country by storm more Lin or Tebow? I find it absolutely hilarious that these guys got all that ridiculas attention only to be traded away at seasons end.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Good move. He'll be a total bust in Houston.
  • Options
    decent point guard. but, to shine, he'll need d'antoni.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    No. Too many turnovers to be a great one.
  • Options
    In two years some one will bump this thread by telling him happy birthday
  • Options
    Kobe Bryant's DOB 8/23/78, Jeremy Lin's DOB 8/23/88.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At all levels of competition, the sport of basketball is one where a player can be "included" into the club or can be "excluded" from the club [the "club" being defined as a group of players who have respect for the other members of the club] based upon a single criteria.

This criteria for admission or exclusion into the club is simply whether or not a person can "play" the game in a manner that makes the person worthy to be one of the 5 players on the floor. To be worthy, one must have at least one skill [i.e rebounding, or defense, or ball handling/passing, or three point shooting, or driving to the basket] that is over the top and must not be an overall detriment or liability to the team while on the floor. The more top notch skills you have the better.

American basketball at the D-1 and Pro level is dominated by black American players. Non American players and non black players are viewed with suspicion and doubt about their skill level and whether they can "play" the game. Players from beyond the US borders, and American players who are not black will have to demonstrate that they can "play" and that they have the requisite level of skill in one or more areas before they will gain entry into the club.

Jeremy Lin does not fit the mold since he is an American born of asian heritage, since he went to and graduated from Harvard and since his first year in the league with Golden State showed that his skill level was not up to NBA standards.

However, he apparently experienced a huge increase in his skill level between his rookie NBA season and last year. The Warriors apparently wanted to keep him on the roster but let him go for financial reasons. He got picked up by Houston and was soon released. He got picked up by the Knicks and was close to being released when the opportunity came for him to get some significant minutes. He made good use of those minutes and played far beyond anyone's expectations.

Whether or not he is able to repeat the performance he put on for the Knicks earlier this year during the upcoming season with Houston is yet to be seen. However, if he continues to improve his skill level, he could end up becoming a quality NBA player who can be a play making point guard who is a threat on the offensive end due to his ability to score and pass the ball to other teammates.

Lin may never be a lock down defender, but he could end up having a long career in the NBA and follo in the footsteps of Steve Nash and John Stockton. If he does, the Knicks will regret letting him go and struggle with Mello being a ball hog. Add to the mix his marketing/PR appeal due to his asian heritage and Harvard education and you would have a big drawing card for the league and any team he plays for.

Or he may stagnate, sit on the bench and wash out of the league in the next year or three.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I liked Lin and wish him luck--but feel that Felton will definitely be an upgrade at point.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Another way of looking at this:

The Knicks (and the basketball community) already know what type of a player Felton is. Once he becomes established, Lin could be a lot better ... the same ... or a lot worse. I guess The Knicks were not in a gambling state of mind. I would have liked to see him stay.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    They'll both be fine. I think most of America knew that having Melo back on the court would be an issue for the Knicks and Jeremy Lin.