Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper Guys - Am I Missing Something Here?

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
From Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-Orig-LARGE-CENT-U-S-COINS-All-Years-Minted-1794-1829-OLD-RAW-COLLECTION-/261055076035?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3cc81856c3

I saw this when it was first listed. To me, the 1799 was clearly an alteration, and with a very quick check confirmed the 1804 was also, IMO.

I would 'assume' that anyone bidding that kind of money in a 'no returns' auction would do just a little diligence and check it out for themselves. Those coins aside, is there ANYTHING else in this pile worth anywhere near the current bid price?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm...yeah.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the bidders are hoping to find a rare variety or two in the group.

Almost certainly wishful thinking without much chance...but you won't know unless you bid! image
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    The seller is legit and has a very good reputation. I am sure if they are altered, he'd make it right.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why anyone would want a large collection of dreck I don't know.

For that money you could buy several really nice coins.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the bidders are hoping to find a rare variety or two in the group. >>

That's why I was asking - is there R6+ coin intermingled in with the dreck and alterations?
    Of course, I'm guessing if there were, no one would be pointing that out in a public forum image

<< <i>The seller is legit and has a very good reputation. I am sure if they are altered, he'd make it right. >>

That is good to know. Frankly, from the photos they look like they were altered a very long time ago, and the original collector
    may or may not have known them to be alterations, and in all likelihood neither does this seller. But when I see 'No Returns' posted,
    this says 'buyer beware' to me.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad i dont do that much on fleebay these days. it keeps me out of trouble image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file