Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are "stickers" to coins what "never hinged" was to stamps?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the 1930's, in spite of the depression, stamp collecting was a booming hobby. Nassau street in New York had several hundred active stamp dealers. Franklin D. Roosevelt was an avid stamp collector, a fact he promoted to the public.

By the 1950's, excessive supply of some issues was starting to cause problems. Along came the "never hinged" craze to eliminate the excessive supply by convincing collectors that mint stamps that had been hinged (and that is what most of them owned) were not worth collecting.

Are "stickers" now acting much the same way in relation to coin collecting? If your coin isn't "stickered" it isn't worth collecting?

Comment ...
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does "hinged" mean, with regard to stamps?
  • Options

<< <i>What does "hinged" mean, with regard to stamps? >>

It means it has been put into an album by wetting a glassine hinge, attaching one flap to the back side of the stamp and then attaching the other flap to the album page. Most stamp hinges were removable but, if the stamp was mint and had gum, would leave a mark in the gum.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I think that is why they slab stamps too.

Slabs and stickers are a way to say your coin has not been fooled with.

Hinged stamps can be regummed similar to coins being wizzed or tooled.

Coin grading and stamp grading are so much different that there is no point in making a comparison, imo.

I dont think your concept/questions is very logical at all?
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem like an apt analogy to me.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Never hinged has nothing to do with a green bean.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I understand the OP's question to be whether stickers are meant to render a large portion of the excess supply of coins (relative to demand) unsuitable to collectors, thereby reducing supply to match demand in a way that supports current prices. If so, I certainly agree.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never hinged has nothing to do with a green bean. >>

A better analogy would be that if the green bean meant that the coin was never dipped. We all know that isn't true.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only if the sticker is attached to the coin
    or to the slab in a way that would degrade it
    upon its removal
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>I understand the OP's question to be whether stickers are meant to render a large portion of the excess supply of coins (relative to demand) unsuitable to collectors, thereby reducing supply to match demand in a way that supports current prices. If so, I certainly agree. >>

You are correct!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand the OP's question to be whether stickers are meant to render a large portion of the excess supply of coins (relative to demand) unsuitable to collectors, thereby reducing supply to match demand in a way that supports current prices. If so, I certainly agree. >>

Stickers seem to have different goal and effect for me. The hinged issue seems to imply the stamps themselves were less desirable and/or damaged while stickers are primarily a judgement on grade (though there are other implications as well). It also came about during a period of gradeflation in which case standards appeared to be changing, partially due to the behavior of some dealers.

I view the hinged issue as similar to the cleaned issue where at some point, past collector behavior (hinging stamps, cleaning coins, etc.) became less desirable.
  • Options

The push for "never hinged" apparently began in Europe in the 1950's and spread to the US somewhat later. In my discussions with an old time stamp dealer many years ago, probably around 1985, he explained that the "never hinged" push came from very savvy dealers who could see that the stamp hobby was starting to decline. These dealers knew that supply would soon exceed demand unless they could figure out a way to essentially devalue the relatively common stamps they had sold in the past. Most collectors in this era used stamp hinges on their mint stamps. The dealers started pushing "never hinged" as the only way to collect mint stamps. When collectors came to them to sell collections of hinged mint stamps ...

The dealers' evaluation of stamp collecting's future was accurate. It has continued to decline to this day. The decline has been accelerated by things like self-stick stamps and far, far too many new issues.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Seems like the mint is making "far too many issues" as well... i used to like ASE's until they came out with reverse proofs different mints all maner of sets, giant 5oz coins etc. Would not surprise me to see them make a glow in the dark reverse proof silver eagle the size of a dinner plate next year and then sell it for 300% over spot...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i believe there will always be "entrepenuers" who try to help collectors with their decisions on what to own. Don said it in a much more professorial way!!image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAC definitely stickers coins that have been dipped and retoned, as long as they are still "solid for the grade." So, I don't think the analogy works.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Formerly hinged on a stamp is like "solder removed" on a coin.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting to make the comparison between "never hinged" and stickers. We should look at this one step deeper and look at what the stickers are intended to mean.

In doing so, I think the more apt comparison is that "never hinged" can be compared to "not doctored" or "not gradeflated."

So, the end result may be that if your coin isn't stickered, it may be doctored or gradeflated and either not be worth collecting or be worthwhile but at a different price.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's interesting to make the comparison between "never hinged" and stickers. We should look at this one step deeper and look at what the stickers are intended to mean.

I doing so, I think the more apt comparison is that "never hinged" can be compared to "not doctored" or "not gradeflated."

So, the end result may be that if your coin isn't stickered, it may be doctored of gradeflated and either not be worth collecting or be worthwhile but at a different price. >>

Zoins, you are on a roll today and making some very good comments.

I think the important part to recognize is that ALL coins are worth collecting to some segment of the community. I will buy non stickered coins IF the reason they don't sticker is something that I can recognize and IF the coin's price is commensurate to the quality. I avoid those coins at most any price, however, that have been messed with by the coin docs.
  • Options
    Fokelore has it that the demand (and premium) for never hinged stamps originated in Italy during the late 1950's. There was a national tax on collectibles, and a stamp that had been hinged was evidence that it was a collectible whereas a stamp with gum that had been undisturbed was considered postage thus nontaxable.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file