Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

iPad as a POP display at a coin show to Highlight my Error Coins ... Lots of Photos

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
In order to draw more interest in my error coins at the upcoming San Diego Show, I have decide to run an Error Coin Slideshow on my New iPad with Retina Display.

I decided to shoot all new images instead of drawing from old images to maintain a consistency. First round I did 100 images and it came out fantastic.

What is really cool is that I will be able to zoom in on say a clip and show customers that it is real because of metal flow.

I think I want to do 100 more as it came out so good.

A few images.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photobucket has a slide show program too, for those that are thinking about doing likewise and aren't into the Ipad thing.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    Is there a reason why the Kennedy is not graded?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a reason why the Kennedy is not graded? >>

Because I have Hundreds of Raw coins that should be graded. That's like 5 K in grading fees. I could get a great error or errors for 5 K.
  • Options

<< <i>

Because I have Hundreds of Raw coins that should be graded. That's like 5 K in grading fees. I could get a great error or errors for 5 K. >>

Point taken. It is just that I've watched this coin on eBay a few times and almost talked dad into jumping on it but "security of plastic" or "lack of" held him back.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because I have Hundreds of Raw coins that should be graded. That's like 5 K in grading fees. I could get a great error or errors for 5 K. >>

Point taken. It is just that I've watched this coin on eBay a few times and almost talked dad into jumping on it but "security of plastic" or "lack of" held him back. >>

Oh, it's real. This is exactly the coin I was talking about in the OP. I can enlarge the areas near the clips and see the metal flow.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a good idea. Anything out of the ordinary should gain the attention of passers-by
  • Options

<< <i>I think that's a good idea. Anything out of the ordinary should gain the attention of passers-by >>

Bingo

New technology plus many one of a kind errors ...... image
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    It's a great idea. People will stop to observe and possibly ask questions about how some of these errors came to be. Even if some of the coins included in the sideshow happen to sell that day, you could still use them as examples of others of the same type from your inventory. Wonderful idea. Good luck.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options

<< <i>It's a great idea. People will stop to observe and possibly ask questions about how some of these errors came to be. Even if some of the coins included in the sideshow happen to sell that day, you could still use them as examples of others of the same type from your inventory. Wonderful idea. Good luck. >>

Yes, anything to help draw up interest.

Here are some more cool errors that will be in my case ...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

Yes, anything to help draw up interest.

Here are some more cool errors that will be in my case ...
    >>

This entire thread is SPAM. Its one thing to elicit feedback on show advertising it is another to use the board to try and plant seeds of interest by posting over a Dozen coins from your active inventory while broadcasting that they are innovatory. Just another punk move of yours
  • Options
    I see My Stalker showed up like he does in all of my threads to trash me as he always does and breaks the rules of the PCGS Forum.

What a sad and pathetic life he must have. Does PCGS have rules about Internet Stalkers?

Yeah right, I went out and bought a new Ipad, spent days Photographing and Organizing my coins, Created a really cool Slideshow all just to spam this board, LOL get a life dude.

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    If established dealers cant post their innovatory on the forum and invite people to check it out, wannabes shouldn't either. One day when you can afford it buy a banner.
  • Options
    I like to add to this forum by showing really cool photographs that are interesting and on topic.

You like to put down people and find negative things to say in most of the threads you respond to. That is no way to go through life, but it is your choice.

I think the OP is a brilliant idea and why not add cool photos to a bunch of bland text.

If the other forum members don't want me to post my cool error coins then so be it.
  • Options

<< <i>If established dealers cant post their innovatory on the forum and invite people to check it out, wannabes shouldn't either. One day when you can afford it buy a banner. >>

WOW! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Talk about being a "wannabee", sounds like someone wants to be a "hall monitor". image

If you are going to label something as “spam” can you show or point out where the OP has posted a picture of a coin and stated go here to buy it? image

I guess every board has trolls image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent demonstration of the iPad
    and beautiful photos also
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the post! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I was at Burger King the other day and noticed how thier menu board is now
    really a giant video screen with video rolling . I thought it cant be all that expensive
    and would be cool to use in other formats. Maybe you could looking into some
    type of larger flat panel his-res display, because the Ipad, for all it;s merits, is
    kind of small, and wont really get noticed at a big coin show.
  • Options
    I am new to the iPad (not macs) and am blown away the the touch screen technology, ease of use, and super high resolution.

As I mentioned earlier, at the touch of two fingers my clients or I could enlarge a photo instantly and it would look similar to this with no effort ...( see photo below)

I can point out the metal flow in the window close to the clip and how different they are from the windows on the right. The letter "E" also has nice metal flow.

Just as quickly I can go back to the slide show or any other coin in the file.

What a fantastic tool ......

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What caused this error? I am assuming it was caused during the minting process.

The reason I ask is that I have a 1915-S Lincoln cent that has one scratch that resembles what is going on with the nickel. Granted the nickel is almost destroyed by the process, but I was wondering if the cent's injury could be mint made?

• Options
    The nickel was struck on a split planchet. Your coins looks PMD to me altho I an not 100% sure.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nickel might be struck on a split
    before striking planchet, but I'd like
    to see a scan of the reverse of the piece.

The stuff on the right side of the reverse
    of your Cent is damage.........

By the way, I decided to put some good
    scans of certain errors that I recently
    bought that won't fit into holders on my
    I-Pad too - just for the 'show and tell'
    aspect of it....

My collector and dealer buddies in Chicago
    (Central States), Denver (ANA), and Long
    Beach thought they looked great too!

We had the same idea at about the same time.

Anyone who wants to see my Ipad Error Scans
    can come by my table in Philadelphia the first
    week of August..........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Fred, yes the nickel is struck on a split planchet, the other side is a very soft strike on the smooth side of the split planchet.

This seems like a wonderful tool for error coin dealers especially.

I have the San Diego Show Coinarama next weekend so I am jamming to get more images done. I have another 100 so I should have over 200 images for viewing or as a slideshow.

This should be very interesting as many of the old timers walk right by my "defective coins" now and I wonder how many of them will watch the whole slideshow and ask question thus creating interest.

Here are a few more images ....

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Nice setup. I'm looking forward to this show. I'll stop by your table and check it outimage
  • Options

<< <i>Nice setup. I'm looking forward to this show. I'll stop by your table and check it outimage >>

Thank you, do come by and say hi and play with the iPad.
  • Options
    I just finished the new iPad slideshow and it is 10 minutes 6 seconds long with 201 photos of major error coins with superior eye appeal . It came out extremely nice.

It will be interesting to see how many people watch the whole 10 minute show.

I wonder how many will want to stop the show to zoom in on a single coin and ask more questions.

If you are in San Diego this weekend come by and see me at Coinarama table #57
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very clever idea ... very clever. You should garner a lot of interest ... and people clogging the aisle in front of your table!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    My iPad POP display worked fantastic at the coin show.

What a wonderful tool to help educate people about error coins and how true errors can't be faked.

I also showed many the difference between a true Double Die and Machine Doubling.

I can not even imagine doing another coin show (or art show ) without the wonderful iPad.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757
    When I stopped by your table I was impressed with the result.

Great job, I think the effort was worth it.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file