Options

"That's a clown question, bro." -Bryce Harper

mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
Youtube link

image Seemed like a legit question to me. Maybe he likes wine coolers? image

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I assume Harper probably figured the reporter was trying to get a "controversial" quote out of Harper. I liked his response.

Reading a couple articles about Harper last year, I thought he was going to be a world-class D-bag when he got to the majors, but he seems to be fairly well grounded. I especially like that he didn't show up the pitcher on that blast last night by watching it from the batters box.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kid is 19 and has handled himself very well so far in my opinion. No big deal as far as I can see about his words
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    He's Mormon...
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how often does anyone here sit through an entire postgame interview with the press? Those things are pathetic. The media today ask stupid questions. Then they slightly paraphrase a just-asked question and ask it again. And the answers they get back are typically the same lame cliches that have been used year after year. Waste of time.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's Mormon... >>

Seriously? If so, that reporter is a total dbag.

edited to add: according to google, he is, so that reporter is a total dbag.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I was impressed at the way he answered that stupid question. I'm quite shocked at how he's seemed to grow up and even improve his performance in the majors, compared to his brief minor league career. I was a naysayer, I really thought he would be too immature to play in the majors, so it's refreshing to see how he's done so far. He's been a solid starter in two of my fantasy leagues!

• Options

<< <i>He's Mormon... >>

I think this answers the d-bag question
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He's Mormon... >>

Seriously? If so, that reporter is a total dbag.

edited to add: according to google, he is, so that reporter is a total dbag. >>

Or the reporter didn't know that fact. These guys going in the clubhouse to get quotes aren't always the brightest bulbs.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the reporter didn't know he was Mormon....hell, I didn't know either until Goot brought it up.

Happens all the time in the media, where they don't know a particular detail about a person's life - just last week Kathie Lee Gifford did an entire interview with Martin Short telling him how great his wife IS and how great they ARE together, when she in fact died last year.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure the reporter didn't know he was Mormon....hell, I didn't know either until Goot brought it up. >>

That very well could have been the case. However, if it was, don't you think the reporter would have apologized by now? The reporter still hasn't even come forward with an explanation, so IMO, think it was a malicious question that backfired.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Mormon or not he is underage, right?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Mormon or not he is underage, right? >>

Not in Toronto; that was the reason for the question in the first place - some reporter asking a very young player if he was going to have a drink when he got to a city where it was legal. Kind of a throwaway question IMO; hardly worth all the pub it got.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I still think his response was funny
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>I still think his response was funny >>

Oh agreed. I like the kid a lot more every time I hear him speak. My impression of him coming out of the minors wasn't very good, but I'm coming around on him a lot.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mormon or not he is underage, right? >>

Not in Toronto; that was the reason for the question in the first place - some reporter asking a very young player if he was going to have a drink when he got to a city where it was legal. Kind of a throwaway question IMO; hardly worth all the pub it got. >>

Actually, the drinking age varies from 18 to 19 in Canada. 21 may be an exception in certain regions but definitely not the norm.

Don't get me wrong, if the reporter typically asks that of under-21 year olds or the interview was his first rodeo and didn't know better, then it is overblown and a simple misunderstanding.

However, if he was a vet reporter and looking to get a rise from the kid, he's a total dbag.

I'd gladly be wrong but all things considered, my gut is leaning to the latter.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Coming soon, Clown Question, Bro Beer:

link
    Bryce Harper is getting his own hops.

The Washington Nationals slugger, who added lore to his budding legend with a five-word response to an off-base postgame inquiry, now will have a beer to celebrate that moment in Internet mastery.

Yes, later this month, the Denver Beer Co. will trot out a Canadian lager that will pay tribute to Harper, called, simply, "Clown Question, Bro."

Denver Westword reports that Denver Beer Co. chief Charlie Berger is trotting out the "easy-drinking lager" in time for the Nationals' four-game series at Coors Field.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything to make a Buck! Im sure this will catch on just like all the morons who made "tebowing" are part of their routine LOL
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid getting in on the action...

That's a clown question, bro.