Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

R.I.P Craig "Sky" Hertwig

All-American and All-SEC lineman at UGA in '73-'74. He played for the Lions and Bills in the NFL. I Played a lot of golf and cards with him. If you've been to downtown Athens chances are you've stepped foot in one of his buildings or been to one of his bars. One of the best guys you'd ever meet. Rest in peace big Sky, you will be missed.

Comments

• corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    A little background for those that have never heard of him.

AJC Article

Online Athens Flag Story

<< <i>Sorry for the loss of your friend. >>

thank you. I was supposed to play in a member-guest golf tourney with him this weekend. He had been suffering from gout the past few months, but nothing major. Nobody even knew he was sick. He stopped answering texts on Tuesday and apparently was admitted to the hospital. Very sad day for people that knew him.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great person. Sorry for your loss image
    Some remarks from Vince Dooley today to the Atlanta Journal:

Here’s some remarks from Vince Dooley, Hertwig’s coach at Georgia and a longtime friend:

“Certainly we’re all saddened by the sudden loss of Craig, who was a great football player, a great fan and a great supporter of all the athletic programs at Georgia. Our deepest sympathy goes to his family and friends.

“Obviously, Craig was nicknamed ‘Sky’ because of his height. During his playing days, he was really tall for a lineman. I actually had gone to see another player on another high school team when I saw this big ol’ guy jumping around. He was kind of under the radar but that eventually led to us signing Craig.

“Because of his size, he was not ready to play as a freshman and we redshirted him,” Dooley said. “One of the things I remember most about Craig is how big a fan he was during that season he redshirted. He loved to get in the stands with the students and cheer for the team. I don’t know if I ever had a player who was as big of a fan as Craig. He matured and became a great player ­ an All-American ­ played professionally and came back to Athens. He always continued his support of Georgia football and all Georgia sports in that social way. He was so well known all over Athens and will be missed.”