Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

newp - 1693 Bamberg sede vacante taler

I picked up a new taler from Bamberg, a city located in Bavaria in Germany. The city dates to the late 10th century, and the city's cathedral has been an integral component of its identity since that time. The city's original cathedral was consecrated exactly 1000 years ago on May 6th, 1012 by the Holy Roman Emporer Henry II. It was later partially destroyed by fire in 1081 and then rebuilt by St. Otto of Bamberg and consecrated in 1111. The current fascade of the cathedral was added in the 13th century when it added its late-Romanesque style.

The piece I picked up is a 1693 "sede vacante" taler, issued for only 1 year after the death of the Bishop of Bamberg, Marquard Sebastian von Schenk von Stauffenberg (how about that for a name?). He held the office from 1683 to 1693. The piece is classified as zepernick 63, DAV-5064.

This is a tough one to find.....I have been hunting for it for several years. Its been over 7 months since I have been able to add anything to this collection, and over a year and a half since I have been able to update the set in my link, so I am excited about this one.

imageimage

Comments