Home Precious Metals

Tiffany "Rubedo" alloy

I saw the new Tiffany Rubedo alloy yesterday while looking at gifts. It's been pretty heavily advertised the past few months. It's very coppery looking. Based on appearance alone, I would have guessed it's 60 or 65% copper, about 30% silver, and rest gold. However, according to the New York Times, someone ran a test, and Rubdeo is about 31 percent gold and nearly 55 percent copper, along with silver and a smidgen of zinc.

Seems a little weird to have such high gold content when, presumably, the reason for creating this alloy was high gold prices. I think most buyers, myself included, would guess there's very little gold in there (under 10%).

"Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder if will turn greeno. (or tiffany blue if you like)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting and pretty looking however pricey and don't think it will replace 14-24k gold
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't call it gold since it's less than 10K. Since it's less than 10K, the Federal Trade Commission won't let you call it gold. Hence, they had to come up with a new name for this alloy. Hard to believe it will ever be popular unless Tiffany pays for a lot of advertising to hype it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiffany collectors will spend money on this. That blue box and hallmark stamp and designs will sell every bit of it I bet.