Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Latest Puchase

Just won this Proof Cam British Crown on eBay.

The pops in Cam are 11 in 64, 9 in 65, 2 in 66, and 1 in 67. There is 1 D Cam in 64 and the only D Cam graded.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, glad you are happy with it.
    I think this deep cameo business brings to mind an interest of mine, and that is just what exactly is the difference between a deep cameo proof and a "VIP Record Proof"? I suspect most will not be able to tell the difference, and a side-to-side comparison of a definite Record proof vs. a standard deep cameo would be interesting to see other peoples' opinions. When I put the two I know together, I can not really see significant difference. Let us then not confuse the sets, like that from Norweb "struck to a special standard" - what the heck are they, as I have a couple individual coins from that set, think I know these coins, but can not tell the difference.

Even though I have this coin in all its iterations I just don't like it for some reason.

I say: "Go Churchill (1965 Crown)", especially the satin proof version.

Oh, BTW, sorry for pirating the thread & just thought we needed a bit of fire in these threads...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    , and that is just what exactly is the difference between a deep cameo proof and a "VIP Record Proof"?

PCGS does not have a VIP Record Proof designation, but it does have a deep cameo proof designation?image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Graham Dyer would be the person to ask, but not sure if he is available. Rob P, do you know?

I suspect that DCAM can be early off die strikes, but the die itself might be subject to more preparation and or extra strikes or strike pressure for VIP Record Proofs???

The term "VIP and/or Record Proof" is not in general usage by any grading service but is propagated by ESC and others....Yes, they have a DCAM designation, the favorite of mine is an 1839 half crown DCAM63 - that coin is awesome!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I did not purchase this coin because it had a Cam designation, I basically bought it because it was available. There are 3 coins in the MS Elizabeth II set, the 1953 Coronation, the 1960 New York Expo, and the 1965 Winston Churchill Commem. I like all 3 coins and although I have no need for the proof 1953, I bought it anyway. Would love to have a Satin Finish Winnie. Maybe one of these days.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I did not purchase this coin because it had a Cam designation, I basically bought it because it was available. There are 3 coins in the MS Elizabeth II set, the 1953 Coronation, the 1960 New York Expo, and the 1965 Winston Churchill Commem. I like all 3 coins and although I have no need for the proof 1953, I bought it anyway. Would love to have a Satin Finish Winnie. Maybe one of these days.

Ron >>

Nice addition to the collection, Ron!

I would be careful about the satin finish Churchill - might have to bear wrestle Ajaan for it image