Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1769 Maria Theresia (1740-1780) Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Maria Theresa Taler is probably one of the most famous and well known coins of the world. Talers with Maria Theresia's portrait were struck since 1741. Initially, the coins had a changing appearance. Starting with 1765 (after her husband died), the Taler was struck with Maria Theresia's portrait showing a widow's veil (as in this 1769 Taler). It was very important currency for trade with the Levant (parts of Turkey, Lebanon, Syria). After the death of Empress Maria Theresa in 1780, Joseph II permitted the Austrian mint to continue striking the coin with the 1780 dies in order to meet demand from the Middle East. The appearance started to be similar only after Maria Theresia died in 1780. Since then, the taler has been restruck with date 1780. Initially, there were easy to identify variations in the coin's appearance. Reference - Maria Theresia Taler Reference Site

The pre-1780 pieces were heavily circulated and therefore not easily found in high grade. This 1769 I.C -- S.K. which I believe should have been designated PL. Lots of luster and very sharp details. I havent seen many original pieces this nice. Multiple images aiming to capture the beauty of this one.

Comments