Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I want to check prices in 1952........

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would it be with a 1951 or a 1952 or a 1953 Redbook due to when they come out, can you Please pm me if you have one and thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ... sorry... my assemblage of Redbooks does not go back that far.. (I say assemblage, since I do not 'collect' them) Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe 2 or so years after 1952, so 1954 or 1953 Redbook?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No ... sorry... my assemblage of Redbooks does not go back that far.. (I say assemblage, since I do not 'collect' them) Cheers, RickO >>

I guess we all have assemblages of Redbooks. I probably have 20 copies in various locations.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see much difference in prices (for colonials at least) between the 1951-2 and 1952-3,
    so you should be fine with either.
    I don't have either one; the past colonial prices are from the 1976 edition.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    If I want to check prices in 1952........

...... you're gonna need to get a Flux Capacitor for your DeLorean.

That should get you pretty close. image

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll want to find the 4th, 5th or 6th editions, they were'nt cover dates until the early 60's I believe
    My oldest one is 1960, but it's cover only states that its the 13th edition

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I want to check prices in 1952........

...... you're gonna need to get a Flux Capacitor for your DeLorean.

That should get you pretty close. image >>

1.21 gigawatts
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think my oldest redbook is a 1962. ill keep eye open for ya thou image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I'm pretty sure no one will honor those prices anymore anyway... image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

My oldest Red Book is from 1956, so we're getting
    closer. I'm sure someone will have an earlier one.

Hey, were's Dentuck??

I also have a 1956 Blue Book. You talk about low
    ball pricing!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I have the 1949 and the 1953-54 and 1954-55. Might have 1952 but I'd have to dig.
    molon labe
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 6th edition of the Red Book has a copyright date of 1952. You could look at that one or the 5th edition which has a copyright date of 1951. You need to be more specific about the coins that interest you. I have a set of Red Books.

From my tax courses I've understood that old editions of the Red Book could be used to establish the tax basis for coins purchased during the earlier editions of the book when other records were not available. The Red Book strated to go "off the rails" from my recolection in the late 1960s when dealers first offered to pay "100% of Red Book prices" for certain 19th century coins. Once the market for coins became more active, the Red Book prices ceased to be of great importance.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Realone, my 6th edition copyright 1952 has both the small and large 5c 1836 half dime going for
    $3.50. The next edition copyright 1953 bumps both up to $4.00. Finally my edition copyright 1948 has them
    at $2.50.
    molon labe
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"Thanks, I would like to know what an 1836 unc capped bust half dime went for in 1852"
    -----
    Uhhh, five cents??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file