Home U.S. Coin Forum

Spectacular "Neon Rainbow" Lincoln Cent

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought this raw Lincoln Cent from eBay seller iShopCoinShows4You for $75 about 6 weeks ago. This was the sellers description: "Finest Rainbow Neon Toned Lincoln I've ever seen, I almost fell over when I found this at our local coin show."

I was hoping that PCGS would grade it, but whenever copper shows this much vibrant rainbow color, getting a grade is bit of a crapshoot.

I got the results back from PCGS on Friday night -- they blessed the toning and put an MS65 BN grade on this (making this coin a huge coup)!! This now resides in a PCGS Secure Plus holder.

The PCGS TrueView photograph shot by Phil Arnold turned out to be a showstopper. The obverse shows an interesting and attractive woody toning pattern with some subtle but attractive coloration, but clearly the star of the show is the vibrant neon rainbow color on the reverse, which is nothing short of breathtaking. Getting this level and intensity of rainbow color on a mint state Lincoln (or any copper coin for that matter) is an extreme rarity.

One last note, this coin was submitted to PCGS in a batch of 7 raw coins ... and 4 came back "Genuine - Questionable Color" ... so I got the impression whatever grader I got was extrememly tough and picky; and wasn't just "rubber stamping" everything as gradeable. This was 1 of the 3 coins that graded in my 7 coin submission.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file