Home U.S. Coin Forum

If a 1955 1C doubled die is a different variety than the 1955 1C

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
then wouldn't an 1823/2 10c double struck 50% off center be a new variety too?

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    You're confusing error and variety. A variety is a die variety and replicated each tiem the die strikes a coin. An error is unique.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're confusing error and variety. A variety is a die variety and replicated each tiem the die strikes a coin. An error is unique.

-Paul >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could apply the term "unique" to your coin as it may be the only one struck off-center, double-struck etc. for the year and/or die marriage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul and the others are correct, of course, but Realone must also realize that there is the matter of numismatic canon at play here

www.brunkauctions.com

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    This question comes up if we leave out a few words.
    When talking about varieties instead of "die varieties".
    When talking about errors instead of something more specific like "off center errors".

Ed
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My definitions:

A variety is caused by something that happens to the dies that strike the coins. All coins struck by the dies show the variety.

A mint error is caused by something that happens to the coin itself, during the manufacturing process. Though many may occur that look similar, they are each unique.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry realone, but you are completely off here. There is no comparison between the 1955 DDO and a off center bust dime.

Off center is a strike error and has nothing to do with the dies.

Sorry!image
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My definitions:

A variety is caused by something that happens to the dies that strike the coins. All coins struck by the dies show the variety.

A mint error is caused by something that happens to the coin itself, during the manufacturing process. Though many may occur that look similar, they are each unique. >>

there ya go

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ,,,sorry, nevermind. i had my one snarky post for the night already.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the crowd here.

realone, of course you are to be believed, but your story of the noted numismatist's assertion carries no weight as long as his/her identity is a secret. Too bad it can't be revealed.
    Lance.
  • If a variety is based on the die that struck it state, which is indisuptable if you isolate that as the qualifier, and an of center strike is clearly not because of the die state defeined there but instead a mis-alignment of either the planchet or whatever causes the off center strike, then how can anyone feel that way?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file