Home U.S. Coin Forum

Struck through scrap error - how do you think it happened?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I have had this for a while and it is one of my more favorite errors - how do you think it happened?

Is scrap typically this small? Was the scrap already on the planchet before it was struck or was this scrap loose in the press at the time of minting?

The obverse is slightly MAD as well - not sure what that means, if anything other than that particular die was not oriented correctly at the time of minting.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.. looks like the reflecting pool is a little off center.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sure are interesting. But, who knows how they get there? I've seen Morgans with
    wood imbedded and steel wire imbedded. How does that get off the floor and onto the
    press?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A small piece of the mint machinery (possibily the feeder fingers) broke off and landed on the planchet and was subsequently struck into the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could very well be a chunk of clad... Pre 1965 Lincoln errors are known with a retained silver strike-in.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THere are various ways that this could have happened. When the strip was being rolled something may have been rolled into it and stayed through the blanking, upsetting and annealing operations.

Or something could have gotten in to the press and landed on the lower die before the blank came in atop it. A very precise weight would give you an indication as to whether the foreign object was added before or after the blanking, but because of the weight tolerance you could never be sure.

As to the wood chips seen in Morgan dollars, those result from planchets being washed, rinsed and dried in barrels of sawdust. The wood chips are usually seen in New Orleans dollars, and I suspect that the high humidity that N.O. is famous for helps some of the sawdust stick to the planchets.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could very well be a chunk of clad... Pre 1965 Lincoln errors are known with a retained silver strike-in. >>

i concur with BS. That's the first example of struck-in fragment I've seen for that year.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always amazed how, for such a simple product, the multitude of things that go wrong with coins. Nothing is as simple as it appears.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file