Home Precious Metals

Fantastic fake Austrian & Hungarian 100 Koronas turning up in Central CA.

Some very, very well made fake 100 Koronas were sold to a dealer on the central CA coast. The coins are not obvious, and must be weighed carefully by a scale. They are slightly heavier than the normal coins. I suggest weighing every coin that comes in your shop from now on. Secret Service has been contacted.

TRUTH

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what are they made of?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any link to the news article?? Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats just carptastic. you have any news or links that go with it?
  • truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    No article, I talked to the dealer who bought the coins. They were so well made, that he sold them to another larger bullion dealer without thinking twice, who then discovered the weight discrepancy. No pictures or other factoids since I was not privy to the details of the coins, only generalities. This is big news around here since the loss is well into the 5 figures.

TRUTH
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, was this just a rumor that turned out to be bogus?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Why would the Secret Service care about non-US counterfeit coins?
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would the Secret Service care about non-US counterfeit coins? >>

maybe they are the preferred medium of exchange at Colombian brothels?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good one, Barndog.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭

<< <i>So, was this just a rumor that turned out to be bogus? >>

Legitimate story. I talked to the dealer at length a couple of days ago. The story is the coins were sold to the dealer by a "friend of a friend". The coins were housed in "older" looking 2X2's giving the appearance that the coins were stored away for a while. All told, 15 coins sold to the dealer at a loss of $24,000. The fake coins had matching characteristics of true 100 Koronas, such as a die crack. Those fakes may have also made it to shops in CA Central Valley, such as Bakersfield or Visalia.

TRUTH
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what are they made of? >>

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank's Coins?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would the Secret Service care about non-US counterfeit coins? >>

Counterfeit money supression is one of the missions of the Secret Service and if American citizens are being scammed they should get involved.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The counterfeiting of foreign gold coins is nothing new. British sovereigns have been extensively counterfeited as have been U.S. gold coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.