Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can you spell your name with the letters on a (1) US (circulating) coin?

Saw ChrisRX sigline and it got me thinking, could I spell JEFF with letters on a US coin. 1 US coin must have all the letters. I can't think of a modern, circulated coin with the letter J on it. (Exclude designer initials and State Quarters)

E E Pluribus Unum
F Of
F Of

Am I missing an obvious J?

Can you spell yours? either handle or real?

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can spell Pollock on this one fairly easy.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    How about the Jefferson Nickel.

Ron

<< <i>Saw ChrisRX sigline and it got me thinking, could I spell JEFF with letters on a US coin. 1 US coin must have all the letters. I can't think of a modern, circulated coin with the letter J on it. (Exclude designer initials and State Quarters)

E E Pluribus Unum
    F Of
    F Of

Can you spell yours? either handle or real? >>

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw ChrisRX sigline and it got me thinking, could I spell JEFF with letters on a US coin. 1 US coin must have all the letters. I can't think of a modern, circulated coin with the letter J on it. (Exclude designer initials and State Quarters)

E E Pluribus Unum
    F Of
    F Of

You didn't exclude the Presidential Dollars. Thomas Jefferson gives you the whole Jeff.

George is spelled out pretty well for me on the 1st Presidential Dollar.

I don't know if they qualify as circulating coinage, although I have seen them in circulation.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    So I can't use the 1987 constitution silver dollar? --Jerry
  • ERIC - anywhere America is image
    Consecutive too!

Eric
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about the Jefferson Nickel.

Ron

E E Pluribus Unum
    F Of
    F Of

>>

Where is there a "J" on it?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

E E Pluribus Unum
    F Of
    F Of

Ocean in view nickel. "Joy"

You've got two different "F"'s on it as well.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I can get both Ron and melvin289 off a 1982 Jefferson Nickel.

Ron
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    LEE is fairly easy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I was just visualizing the Jefferson Nickel and without thinking put his name on the obverse. I am most embarrased.

Ron

<< <i>

<< <i>How about the Jefferson Nickel.

Ron

E E Pluribus Unum
    F Of
    F Of

>>

Where is there a "J" on it? >>

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I wouldn't have said it but I can spell both Matteo and nibanny in all coins! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    theodore-ted-teddy...yeah no problem...copper-silver or in gold
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    "In God We Trust" Can spell my name
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a coin that has 2 Gs on it?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Whoops, I'm an idiot!

...it's still too early image (apparently)
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Lance, that's neat and must have taken some time!
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Hey,edwin,your "W" is doubled!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>Hey,edwin,your "W" is doubled!image >>

It's an upside down "M" from the reverse of a prexibuk. The apparent doubling is the light shining down on the shelf-like tops of the letter.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage Clever!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope... no K...... Cheers, RickO
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a proof.

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Sure, anything with LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Can do both Bill and William

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P's and H's are hard to come by, but I'm sure there's some statehood quarter that has 'em all.

By the way, who owns that MOOSE of an S-5?
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can do my entire name on the Hot Springs ATB - surely there must be one circulating somewhere?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I opened the thread I was thinking...that's lame...but yes...I can. Cool. image

<< <i>Hey Lance, that's neat and must have taken some time! >>

if i'm the lance to whom you refer, it took prob 8-9 minutes.

it was nearing 3am so i was struggling with which coins to choose
    i thought i saw a post that mentioned the S-5, i don't know who owns it off-hand, but i have it logged in my database as an ms65bn

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first and last name both have a K in them. So I think I am out of luck.

Of course, when I was younger [high school and college] some of my peeps would call me "Dog" (as in "Yo, Dog"; or "You are a Dog"). With that nickname, I would qualify since all you have to do is reverse the letters in "God" to come up with "Dog".
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Lance, that's neat and must have taken some time! >>

if i'm the lance to whom you refer, it took prob 8-9 minutes.

it was nearing 3am so i was struggling with which coins to choose
    i thought i saw a post that mentioned the S-5, i don't know who owns it off-hand, but i have it logged in my database as an ms65bn
    . >>

I appreciate your saving me the time! I like the artwork.
    Lance.
  • I can get my name (Kenny) out of the lettering on a Kentucky quarter.
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure, anything with LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Can do both Bill and William >>

But can you do Will ? image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup.
    DENNIS
    My last name works as well without reusing any letters.
    Can even add my dog MILO and still have letters left.
    What do I win?
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    This one is easy for me"

"Bert"

It's freaking everywhere!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Given that my name is entirely contained in 'UNITED STATES OF AMERICA', yeah, pretty easily...
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not for me image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can spell DAVE with a peace dollar, standing liberty quarter, or Connecticut commem half dollar

Almost any US coin can spell Baley

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Na, I think my only shot was if the "V" in Trust on a Peace dollar would have counted. But its not circulating anyway.

Vince
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>P's and H's are hard to come by, but I'm sure there's some statehood quarter that has 'em all.

By the way, who owns that MOOSE of an S-5? >>

You can get a P and an H on the reverse of a bicentennial half.
  • WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    Since William Henry Harrison and I share the same first name, his Presidential dollar will suffice (that was easy). I can also spell my middle name (the same as the last name of the defeated Democratic Party presidential candidate in the 1876 election) from the inscriptions on the same coin. The edge inscription also enables me to spell my last name as well.

William T. Gibbs
    Coin World
    News Editor
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance, well done!

<< <i>Lance, well done! >>

thanks image

anyone else wanna do theirs!??

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That is absolutely hilarious!!

You guys have really gone off the deep endimage
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you guys were nuts, but you've got me doing it.

Lincoln Cent will spell out 'doubleeagle59' but it has to be dated 1959.

I'm not going to spend 1/2 an hour photoshopping a picture to prove itimage
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a coin that has 2 Gs on it? >>

Sure, the 1955 doubled die cent! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>I thought you guys were nuts, but you've got me doing it.

Lincoln Cent will spell out 'doubleeagle59' but it has to be dated 1959.

I'm not going to spend 1/2 an hour photoshopping a picture to prove itimage >>

it literally took me a couple minutes to do what i did in paint, photo gallery & snip image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty easy for my first name: Rob.

You can get the "R" and the "B" out of "LIBERTY".

Use the "O" from "OF" in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and there you go.

Actually, my full first name is Robertson.

We've got ROB already.

ERTSON can all come out of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA again.

Last name Shinnick. That's trickier, due to the H and the K.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, from a 1976 Kennedy Half, no problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file