Home U.S. Coin Forum

New 66th-Edition Red Book Features More Pages, Updated Pricing, More Photos, Expanded Coverage

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

The new 2013 (66th) edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins (known to collectors as the “Red Book”) is 16 pages longer than the 2012 edition. At 448 pages, it includes many new features, plus more than 300 additional or updated color photographs. The new edition debuts in four different formats March 22 at the Whitman Baltimore Coin & Collectibles Expo and will be available nationwide April 10. Members of the American Numismatic Association can borrow a copy free of charge from the Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library. See www.money.org for more information.

The 2013 edition has 1,974 full-color images. It prices 7,045 entries in up to 9 grades each, with more than 32,000 total valuations. More pages have been added to the sections on pre-federal coinage, silver and related dollars, commemoratives, and Proof and Mint sets.

“Readers will scarcely recognize the 2013 Red Book when they see its extensive upgrades and additions,” said longtime senior editor Kenneth Bressett. “It is not ‘your father’s old pricing catalog.’ Changes have been made throughout to keep it up to date with the outpouring of new and innovative issues from the United States Mint. That alone is no small consideration for it includes an assortment of more than $23,000 worth of new Mint products. And, of course, the same amount of attention is given to the older coins that extend back to 1616.”

Collectors will benefit from auction records provided for significant recent sales. “More than 160 auction results are included within the chart listings,” said Valuations Editor Jeff Garrett. “These combine with the retail valuations to paint an accurate picture of the high-end rare-coin market. In addition, the appendix on the Top 250 Auction Prices for U.S. Coins has been fully updated. Since the last edition, three more coins have broken the $1 million mark, for a total of 45.”

Research Editor Q. David Bowers, commenting on the book’s continuing popularity, noted that “Even in the Internet age, the Red Book remains solidly the collector’s best and first choice for instant information.”

Due to popular demand and strong interest in the bullion markets, a special appendix on the Mint’s American Arts gold bullion medals (1980–1984) has been added.

Also new is an illustrated essay on “Coin Collecting Yesterday and Today,” describing the coin market and hobby going back to the mid-1940s, when the Red Book debuted.

Commentary on today’s rare-coin market has been expanded in the introduction, with sections on third-party grading and authentication.

Mintage figures for all circulating coins and commemoratives have been updated as currently as possible with official data from the U.S. Mint.

“Two exciting new features have been added to the pre-federal, or colonial, coin section,” said Kenneth Bressett. “One is an expanded and carefully organized coverage of the copper coins of New Jersey, and the other is a more extensive listing of the enigmatic pieces commonly known as Machin’s Mills coins.”

Appendix B, “Collectible Red and Blue Books,” has also been expanded with more details. Coverage of recent collectible Red Books includes the 2012 American Numismatic Association special edition, currently valued at $100 in New condition.

In perhaps a good measure of the health of the hobby, the listings in the Red Book’s numismatic bibliography include more than 20 standard references published in the past five years.

About the Guide Book of United States Coins

A Guide Book of United States Coins is the world’s most popular annual retail price guide for U.S. coins, tokens, and other numismatic items. More than 22 million copies have been purchased since 1946, making it one of the best-selling nonfiction titles in the history of U.S. publishing.

For the 66th edition, more than 140 professional coin dealers, scholars, and other numismatic experts contributed their knowledge under the direction of Senior Editor Kenneth Bressett, Valuations Editor Jeff Garrett, and Research Editor Q. David Bowers.

# # #

448 pages
Full color
By R.S. Yeoman; senior editor Kenneth Bressett; research editor Q. David Bowers;
valuations editor Jeff Garrett
Formats include:
- spiralbound
- hardcover
- spiralbound hardcover
- Large Print Edition
- leather-bound Limited Edition (1,000 copies)

Comments

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...looks like a winner! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    I just can't decide whether to get the spiral bound or the hard bound book, anyone have any preferences

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just can't decide whether to get the spiral bound or the hard bound book, anyone have any preferences

Jim >>

If you want to keep it as a collectible, the hardbound. If you will use it regularly, or nearly every day like I do, the spiral-bound.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly recommend the Kindle version if you want the data available 24/7
    LCoopie = Les
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to know the reason the Red Book is currently using the number 1,725 to represent the mintage of 1911 Matte Proof Lincoln cents when Kevin Flynn, author of "Lincoln Cent Matte Proofs" states US Mint records show the correct mintage is 2,411. Steveimage
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Steve, the quantity of 1,725 is based on research compiled in Daily Coinage January 1, 1911 to June 30, 1915, National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, Maryland; Record Group 104, Entry 273.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both are good books but i do prefer the spiral bound book. its easier to use. jmo
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Due to popular demand and strong interest in the bullion markets, a special appendix on the Mint’s American Arts gold bullion medals (1980–1984) has been added. >>

Er, make that re-added. They had a section on these medallions a few year's back and then ditched it the following year.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve, the quantity of 1,725 is based on research compiled in Daily Coinage January 1, 1911 to June 30, 1915, National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, Maryland; Record Group 104, Entry 273. >>

Please be more specific, Dennis.

Great job on the newest edition!
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember from whom I received the email (wizard coins?) but they were offering any new US Coins book at half price for pre-ordering on their site...

Unfortunately, I pitched the email, does anyone know who it was?

I prefer the spiral hardcover... definitely easier to work with than the hard cover, but not as collectible.
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't remember from whom I received the email (wizard coins?) but they were offering any new US Coins book at half price for pre-ordering on their site...

I prefer the spiral hardcover... definitely easier to work with than the hard cover, but not as collectible. >>

I pitched the email too since the shipping price pretty much kills the deal unless you're ordering a case of books or ordering a ton of supplies anyways.

My coin club does order a case each year though so I'll get my new book from them.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't remember from whom I received the email (wizard coins?) but they were offering any new US Coins book at half price for pre-ordering on their site...

I prefer the spiral hardcover... definitely easier to work with than the hard cover, but not as collectible. >>

...i believe it was through the ANA. image in accordance with wizard supply.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
    Please include the 1925 Norse Medals (thick and thin varieties) in future editions. I went to look up the mintages last week and was surprised they were nowhere to be found in the Red Book. Sure, I know they aren't officially "coins." But, they are widely collected as part of the classic commemorative series and I would think they deserve at least some mention in the book somewhere.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please include the 1925 Norse Medals (thick and thin varieties) in future editions. I went to look up the mintages last week and was surprised they were nowhere to be found in the Red Book. Sure, I know they aren't officially "coins." But, they are widely collected as part of the classic commemorative series and I would think they deserve at least some mention in the book somewhere. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on the hardbound as soon as I was introduced to the spiral bound. No comparison, in my opinion. You think that
    the hardbound takes up less room, but by the time you use something to hold it open to the page while you access your coins,
    it is as large as the spiral bound.
    Yes, if I were buying it just to collect, then hardbound is the way to go, but for daily useage(which is what most seem to use
    them for) the spiral is for me.
    BTW, Dentuck, love my new 2013 and thanks to all involved. Its great to buy numismatic literature at such a reasonable price and
    get to use it daily.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was still 2012. I must have slept right through the end of the world back on 12-21-12 and was lucky enough to survive! Now that we are in 2013 I should pick up a new redbook and see what the current after destruction trends areimage

I still don't understand why you guys are a year offimage

<< <i>I thought it was still 2012. I must have slept right through the end of the world back on 12-21-12 and was lucky enough to survive! Now that we are in 2013 I should pick up a new redbook and see what the current after destruction trends areimage

I still don't understand why you guys are a year offimage >>

Yeah, I don't really get that either, just makes things confusing.

Wanted to also add that I cashed in some of my Teletrade gold points for a 2013 Redbook recently and they sent me a spiral bound edition. was disappointed it wasn't the hardcover at first, but I'm growing to like it. Just not sure it's going to hold up as well as the hardbound after a year's worth of use and abuse... we'll see... image

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    A bit of Red Book history will answer your question about the 2013-versus-2012 conundrum.

The first edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins was published in November 1946 --- so late in the year that it was decided to give it a 1947 cover date. Since that time, out of both tradition and necessity, the book has had a cover date one year ahead of the chronological year.

You'll find similar "advance dating" with the Kelley Blue Book for cars, and other annual / semiannual guidebooks.

If you're interested in the coin-collecting hobby's history, personalities, behind-the-scenes tales, etc., you might be interested in Frank Colletti's Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States Coins, a history book and price guide for collecting Red Books. It has lots of first-person Red Book stories from old-time collectors, dealers, and researchers, as well as numismatists active in the hobby today. And it answers a lot of those questions like "How do you know 2013 prices in 2012?!"

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A bit of Red Book history will answer your question about the 2013-versus-2012 conundrum.

The first edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins was published in November 1946 --- so late in the year that it was decided to give it a 1947 cover date. Since that time, out of both tradition and necessity, the book has had a cover date one year ahead of the chronological year.

You'll find similar "advance dating" with the Kelley Blue Book for cars, and other annual / semiannual guidebooks.

If you're interested in the coin-collecting hobby's history, personalities, behind-the-scenes tales, etc., you might be interested in Frank Colletti's Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States Coins, a history book and price guide for collecting Red Books. It has lots of first-person Red Book stories from old-time collectors, dealers, and researchers, as well as numismatists active in the hobby today. And it answers a lot of those questions like "How do you know 2013 prices in 2012?!" >>

The only additional info is that for many decades it was generally released around July 1, so giving it a cover date of the following year wasn't as ridiculous as it is now, since the book comes out in April.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file