BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
BAM !!!

Thanks for the notice....image

Comments

• Options
    WHAT?!? Wow nice heads up!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...then...I'm assuming they're going to stop selling the 2011 Proof Buffalos in the next few days?!? Or not...?

What are the sales numbers for 2011...as I actually landed a bonus at work yesterday...and it's burning a hole in my pocket.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So...then...I'm assuming they're going to stop selling the 2011 Proof Buffalos in the next few days?!? Or not...?

What are the sales numbers for 2011...as I actually landed a bonus at work yesterday...and it's burning a hole in my pocket. >>

Great. Another two grand that I have to spend...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously...anyone have 2011 sale numbers to date?

I might buy the 2011 rather than the 2012.
  • Options
    Not sure on the exact number off hand but im pretty sure its the secon lowest yet after the 2008
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25,230 as of today.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for a few this time. I'm thinking the high price might keep initial demand down and perhaps we'll have a low mintage year.

Wife is going to be major pissed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in for a few this time. I'm thinking the high price might keep initial demand down and perhaps we'll have a low mintage year.

Wife is going to be major pissed. >>

I think your right, my plan is to snag one or two 70's on the aftermarket. Usually thats when to get them right off the bat before its known that the mintage is low.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in for a few this time. I'm thinking the high price might keep initial demand down and perhaps we'll have a low mintage year.

Could be a low mintage year. Still a lot of competing products, high prices, and probably a little bit of boredom in the designs. That looks like a nice mixture for a potential low mintage. Maybe the 2008 1oz will get taken out.

Also, the mint may not want to go bezerk minting a large amount, since the 2011 sales were modest.
  • Options

<< <i>

I think your right, my plan is to snag one or two 70's on the aftermarket. Usually thats when to get them right off the bat before its known that the mintage is low. >>

My plan exactly. It's worked like a charm! Minimal cost over issue, let someone else grade them. Happy to pay a few $ to avoid the hassle, dealing with 69s, etc.
  • Options
    The unofficial word on the schedule is that there is no unofficial word on the schedule's status.

Not a peep from the Mint on any of the delays and holes in the schedule.

They are beginning to estimate dates for some items. I heard that the Kennedy coins could be released in MAY. (MAY! but no reason for the delay.)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At $1960.....I'll have to sadly pass.

Mint:

The American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coin is the first 24-karat gold proof coin ever struck by the United States Mint and is the collector version of the official United States Mint American Buffalo Gold Bullion Coin. Containing one ounce of .9999 fine 24-karat gold, these lustrous coins are among the world’s purest gold coins. The coin is presented in an elegant hardwood box with a matte finish and a faux leather inset. It is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.

Mint Link

• Options
    pricing is in the 1650 to 1699.99 range

• Options

<< <i>pricing is in the 1650 to 1699.99 range >>

Please explain!
  • Options

<< <i>

Please explain! >>

2012 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coin (PJ9)
    Price: $1,960.00

From the pricing grid:

Average Price of Gold.....................................American Buffalo Gold Proof
    $1,650.00 to $1,699.99 .........1 oz................$1,960.00

I'm hoping for a gold decline this week. I'm going to wait. If it doesn't happen, I'll buy tuesday.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please explain! >>

2012 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coin (PJ9)
    Price: $1,960.00

From the pricing grid:

Average Price of Gold.....................................American Buffalo Gold Proof
    $1,650.00 to $1,699.99 .........1 oz................$1,960.00

I'm hoping for a gold decline this week. I'm going to wait. If it doesn't happen, I'll buy tuesday. >>

Currently, well above spot + proof/packaging coolness factor! image
  • Options
    If anybody interested Goldmart takes orders for PCGS PR70 FS at $2199

2012 W PCGS PR70 FS
  • Options

<< <i>If anybody interested Goldmart takes orders for PCGS PR70 FS at $2199

2012 W PCGS PR70 FS >>

seems like a good price.

mint release to the public is $1960 ea.

I examined several today and quickly found 6, rejecting only 3. I know PCGS doesn't want to bless me with 6 70's but I know I just submitted 6 70's. this year's batch are beautiful and the only issues were 2 with weak areas along the rims and one with a small shiny spot on the buffalo.

I predict a plentiful supply of 70's in 2012.

• Options

<< <i>

2012 W PCGS PR70 FS >>

seems like a good price.

I examined several today and quickly found 6, rejecting only 3. I know PCGS doesn't want to bless me with 6 70's but I know I just submitted 6 70's. this year's batch are beautiful and the only issues were 2 with weak areas along the rims and one with a small shiny spot on the buffalo.

I predict a plentiful supply of 70's in 2012. >>

Thats good to hear!
  • Options

<< <i>

2012 W PCGS PR70 FS >>

seems like a good price.

I see that you note that "this year's batch are beautiful." This points to one of the things that I love about this series: how different that they can look from year to year.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

2012 W PCGS PR70 FS >>

If they are offering a good price .. then there must be alot upcoming in the pipeline
  • Options

<< <i>I examined several today and quickly found 6, rejecting only 3. I know PCGS doesn't want to bless me with 6 70's but I know I just submitted 6 70's. this year's batch are beautiful and the only issues were 2 with weak areas along the rims and one with a small shiny spot on the buffalo.

I still predict it.

However, 100% 69s on my submission and I am very angry.

I can choose from a large number of inventory coins at the mint and I take the loupe with me. I get the best of the best.

Last year I had some stellar 1/10 and 1/2 eagles. I pulled many 70's. I knew they were winners.

These Buffalos were better than those by a quantum leap. Fully struck, great rims, centered, everything except the lint and dust (not a speck).

I know I've said I can't tell a 69 from a 70 before, but when stellar coins come along it is an incredibly easy call.

incredibly easy.

100% failure? I'm not the one who failed here. I'm very angry right now. I feel like a victim of the "not too many 70's" police.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I examined several today and quickly found 6, rejecting only 3. I know PCGS doesn't want to bless me with 6 70's but I know I just submitted 6 70's. this year's batch are beautiful and the only issues were 2 with weak areas along the rims and one with a small shiny spot on the buffalo.

I still predict it.

However, 100% 69s on my submission and I am very angry.

I can choose from a large number of inventory coins at the mint and I take the loupe with me. I get the best of the best.

Last year I had some stellar 1/10 and 1/2 eagles. I pulled many 70's. I knew they were winners.

These Buffalos were better than those by a quantum leap. Fully struck, great rims, centered, everything except the lint and dust (not a speck).

I know I've said I can't tell a 69 from a 70 before, but when stellar coins come along it is an incredibly easy call.

incredibly easy.

100% failure? I'm not the one who failed here. I'm very angry right now. I feel like a victim of the "not too many 70's" police. >>

Wow, I wasen't expecting to hear this. Soory to hear that.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this. I can totally understand how you feel.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I guess this supports the suggestion to go for the 70s in the secondary market and let someone else go thru this heartache.
    Pay a premium but move on without the hassle.
    I believe you when you say they were 70s.
    Makes you realize it could be an unfair roll of the dice sometimes between a 69 and a 70.
    Maybe for an extra little fee or something the TPGs could include a critique to better educate us submitters.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    The mint repriced gold products today including the buffalos, which are now $50 lower in price. Every little bit helps. image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I guess this supports the suggestion to go for the 70s in the secondary market and let someone else go thru this heartache."

That is exactly what I did. And, I have certainly submitted my share of bulk lots of Buffalo gold, etc. to PCGS over the years. I bought some 70's from a board member for stock. Now, the PCGS "pop" is "through the roof" in 70 at 590 coins already (the "70 police" must have been on vacation this month)!! I couldn't be happier that I avoided spending a ton of money on this issue ... look how cheaply one can buy a PR70DC FS coin right now ... just a couple hundred dollars above the cost of the coin from the mint plus the grading fee (and I still am not terribly interested in buying many now for myself with a PCGS 70 pop that high). And, no need to mess with the 1/2-2/3 of the coins that fail to grade 70 which still have a cost basis of over $1,900/coin and generally fail to sell for that net of fees.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    To concur with WC:

Submitted 3 - one came back 70, two 69

Current PR70 pop - 590

Net result - 2 oz bullion and one very common PR70

Barely break even, will have to sell at loss to offset some winners image

• Options
    anyone who bought at $2200 (or was it $2300?) made out.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I look at more like $600 over spot for the 70s. Just too much for me.

MsMorrisine, I too have submitted what I thought would make 70s. Sometimes I hit sometimes I don't. It is a gamble and lately have been losing on the 70 Lottery so gave up for now.
  • Options
    Did you try any of this year's buff's ?

• Options
    My last submission were the 5 oz P Pucks, all 68 and 69s. The last time I got a good batch of 70s were 3 Buchanan 70 FS Gold Proofs and 4 Buchanan MS 70s FS out of about 10 submitted after close scrutiny and that was in 2010. Bought about 15 of the Buchs just to get them. I don't collect the Buffalo 1 oz Proofs except the 08s.
  • Options
    Well, it sounds like those who got these early not only made out, but didn't get hurt the pain of seeing 69 after scutinizing coins. (although the 9 I looked at for 6 should have been enough! They are great this year.)

Now, what I'd like to see is the "2012 proof buffalo" picture showcase.

sure sure. I know they will all "look alike" but I think seeing how this year's 70s are quite 70 worthy would be enlightening. especially for the non-70 believers.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many PCGS PR-70 FS Buffs so far?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    590 in 2012 already in First Strike!!

Compare that to 300 for 2011 in First Strike even 1 year later.

Wondercoin

P.S. I can use a few 2011 also if anyone would like send me a PM on them.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    I stored my 2012 proof Buffalo in my safe deposit box today, and while doing so looked over my Buffalo set and my brothers set. Both collections (of seven coins) had two coins each with a pencil dot size "red spot" on the reverse. The 2012 buffalos were clean. I will be looking closer at the reverse on future proof Buffalo purchases.
  • Options
    My 2008 W $25 Buffalo Proof had the red spot also. It was 2 that I owned. It graded PCGS PF69. Luckily the other one graded PCGS PF 70. Some collectors can really be fickle about that red spot. Had a somewhat hard time selling the red dot version.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file