Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are we as forum members a group of "Movers and Shakers"?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1.) Have you noticed terminology such as words and phrases that are conceived "here" being used mainstream within descriptions in the marketplace image

2.) Have you seen items appear at auction quite rapidly after being mention "here" that no example of XYZ has been on the market for years image

I have and I am seeing this occur quite often lately...

What are your thoughts image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Losers and fakers?
  • Options

<< <i>Losers and fakers? >>

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to be moving, and have not yet started shaking. image

But yes, I think this forum makes a contribution to the hobby.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    At least one person was a shaker and baker I think...image
  • Options

<< <i>At least one person was a shaker and baker I think...image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    This forum has slightly more influence than most would first think but control the industry it does not nor does the industry revolve around this forum.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Colorful, attractive commems can't be trusted. They have been known to lie, cheat, steal and philander. They cause rapid inflation, they cause potholes and they hate puppies and kittens. Plus the color is actually an airborne version of pvc which will infect all your other coins. They should be liquidated into the market immediately.

(and now we wait image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    The upper section/ advanced portion of the hobby be it on the collector side or dealer is smaller than many people think and most people there know or are known to financial core of the hobby. Out of the true nebulous of the hobby, a significant number (but not close to all) take part in this forum and to a lesser extent the NGC one so many to the coins and terms you hear about are only a few degrees if any from the originating source. I am no longer surprised when I receive a PM from the under bidder of a cool coin I buy here.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    More like "chatroom weenies" to quote a beloved dealer.
  • Options
    This forum is scoffed/laughed at by much of the numismatic industry. That being said, there are instances where the collective buying power of some forum members have had an impact on certain series.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Yes. For instance : The barber noticed my hairlines and said, "you've got a lustrous and larger fore-head since the last time I saw you, dip-stick ".

2) No, I wasn't paying attention and got blindsided. image

• Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Some of the "Movers and Shakers" in the industry belong to the forum, undoubtedly.

Does belonging to the forum mean that (an individual) has a significant role in the industry? Hardly.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

We've actually had more movers and shakers than
    we currently do.

Some took a ride on the banmobile.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

<< <i>More like "chatroom weenies" to quote a beloved dealer. >>

image thats the one
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubtful... but nice thought

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

.......who apparently monitors this forum.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are and have been some serious players here. There are other serious players who read the forum, and I have met them at shows and through others.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    as to the question of "Movers and Shakers" I am one but not the and other rarely at the same time.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life is all about bell curves.

some here move and shake more than others, and not everyone even defines the terms the same way

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since very few people have original ideas I think it is very possible some posts or thoughts expressed here have "picked up on". At least I think our hosts use this forum to help market their services...ie; the clear thin prong holders, details grading on Genuine slabs.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was "chatroom chimps", but we apes don't have the greatest memories...

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Losers and fakers? >>

Don't forget posers and pretenders.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I think this forum is actually pretty influential, with powerful industry players taking note when important topics are discussed here.

Of course, these powerful industry players (or their minions) need to wade through a lot of hoo-ha to find the important stuff.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently moved and do have a tendency to shake a lot so, yeah, Movers and Shakers.

Actually, as new information comes out, I do believe that this forum motivates the market. Lots of times we've gotten in on the ground floor of some tremendous opportunities both in new US Mint releases and in varieties.

I do believe that the 2008 Rev 07 was first reported here which in turn generated a ton of orders and quite a few VERY HAPPY members.

The Type B Washington's got a huge kick in the butt from this forum.

And who can forget Russ's Accented Hair posts not to mention the Birthmark 1967 Kennedy's.

Lot's of moving and lots of shaking!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    The members and readers of this forum do have influence. Keep in mind for every poster, there tend to be ten other readers. I actively read several other forums, but never post, and have never registered on some.

Forum members they tend to be bigger fish with fatter wallets as compared to the national average. This means they might hold 5% or even 10% of the active buying power in some areas, even though the number of active members might be something like 0.2% of active collectors. Those that doubt that forum folks tend to be bigger fish, go visit most local coin clubs, where a $100 value coin is considered by most members to be an expensive coin.

In some instances of hot new issues, the forum members and readers might buy up 25% or more of the available mintage--that is moving and shaking. In some backwater areas, a few more collectors can and have created demand. Gold dollars, toned classic commems, so-called dollars, all probably move a bit when various forum members took interest and posted to popular threads. The specialty slabs such as doilies and blacks are other examples where interest creates more interest, and more demand.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    In the early days of this message board help shape PCGS. Getting better service and new services from PCGS. The Registry being a good example. You have a lot of great dealers and collectors on this message board. The "connection" is the greatest benefit.......... I have talked to collector/dealer from every part of the county. The learning curve for new collectors is greatly improved with the "collection of community knowledge". The broad has even influenced e-bay and it's policies.

Movers and Shakers?........ How about "Strength and Knowledge in Numbers". image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This forum is scoffed/laughed at by much of the numismatic industry. >>

To be the laughing stock of the coin world... that's pretty bad. image
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for the rest of you, but when move parts of me shake.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it's a secret and they maybe watching too...image
    do you think they read our pm's???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    movers and shakers?...have you ever watched a large group of white people dance?
  • Options

<< <i>movers and shakers?...have you ever watched a large group of white people dance? >>

White Guys Break Dance at Wedding image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>movers and shakers?...have you ever watched a large group of white people dance? >>

I have.image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    don't underestimate the group
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mover and shaker
    n. pl. movers and shakers
    One who wields power and influence in a sphere of activity: "the importance of hanging out with the movers and shakers of the art world" (Richard Colvin).

Um.............

No.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This forum is scoffed/laughed at by much of the numismatic industry. >>

To be the laughing stock of the coin world... that's pretty bad. image >>

Possibly beating MrEureka to the punch, to be the laughingstock of the numismatic industry might, by some, be considered a compliment.image

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think so. A lot of news gets reported here first.

As Ted Koppel said of Rush Limbaugh, "You ignore him at your own peril."
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please let us know who laughs at us
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>please let us know who laughs at us >>

This insight came to me while shaving.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Put it back in your pants.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of them have moved mountains which led me here. They are not me, but we share much in common.
  • Options
    I definitely enjoy a good shake,move, and bake! Bring em all on! Ignore me at your own peril.image
  • Options

Yes! Ever since I started watching American Bandstand. At the time, I was a paper boy collecting all kinds of coins one at a time. If I found a good one,you might just see this white kid dancing down the street.image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this forum is actually pretty influential, with powerful industry players taking note when important topics are discussed here. >>

We are a convenient, permanently assembled, opinionated, and occasionally dysfunctional, focus group.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>I think this forum is actually pretty influential, with powerful industry players taking note when important topics are discussed here. >>

We are a convenient, permanently assembled, opinionated, and occasionally dysfunctional, focus group. >>

classic response
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This forum has slightly more influence than most would first think but control the industry it does not nor does the industry revolve around this forum. >>

I whole eartedly agree.

Mini-Markets have been born from these forums but they eventually fade.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

We are a convenient, permanently assembled, opinionated, and occasionally dysfunctional, focus group. >>

This sounds just about right.

But "dysfunctional" is not too unusual. image

We can even approach consensus through dysfuntion.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file