Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What book is recommended for Mintage and other details of Mexico 8 Reales

I'm trying to locate a somewhat up to date (last 5 years) book to use for reference on the Reales 1/2, 1,2,4 and 8's

Does any one know of a good one?

Thanks
NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one I can think of that would have mintage figures would be Pradeau's Numismatic History of Mexico. It's not a recent book, though, but I don't think the mintage figures from 200+ years ago changed all that much since the late '70s.

Cayon's Las Monedas Espanolas also catalogs minors, but it doesn't list mintage figures and the prices are also very outdated (but a good proxy to see the relative scarcity).

When it comes to pricing - I normally go with the current market value if I can find a reference point, like past auction sales in US and Europe.

Which series are you thinking about getting into?
  • Options

<< <i>The only one I can think of that would have mintage figures would be Pradeau's Numismatic History of Mexico. It's not a recent book, though, but I don't think the mintage figures from 200+ years ago changed all that much since the late '70s.

Cayon's Las Monedas Espanolas also catalogs minors, but it doesn't list mintage figures and the prices are also very outdated (but a good proxy to see the relative scarcity).

When it comes to pricing - I normally go with the current market value if I can find a reference point, like past auction sales in US and Europe.

Which series are you thinking about getting into? >>

TwoKopeiki,
    Thanks for the info on the book. What I mean't by past five years is the inclusion of potential overdates etc that might be included in a latter addition that might be missing from a from a much older printing. As far as which, mostly the Republic 8 Reales, but also the Colonial and Minors.
    I have reviewed your wonderful collection of colonials and really enjoyed it. I bet that took some time to put together.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Republic 8 Reales the best reference out there is "Resplandores" by Dunigan and Parker and probably Cayon for colonial Minors. I haven't meddled in minors, so can't really help you there.