Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

kinda OT? But if you're in the Raleigh area and dig archeology...

...here's a link to an article about excavations in Constantinople, and a lecture that will be given at the Raleigh NC Museum of History.

Thursday, March 1, 7:30 p.m. -- Dr. Kocabas, Director of Istanbul University’s Department of Marine Archeology and the Yenikapi Shipwrecks Project, will present a lecture and Q/A about the findings in an ancient harbor in Istanbul. Free admission.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing the article. It would be pretty amazing to participate in such an important excavation. I wanted to be an archeologist as a kid (probably influenced by Indiana Jones movies) and always appreciate a good article and seminar on archeology.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The lecture includes discussion of gold coins, I'd say it's right on topic. If there was a way to make a good living digging in the dirt, I'd certainly be doing it. image

Doing this is a close second though. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i> If there was a way to make a good living digging in the dirt, I'd certainly be doing it. image >>

Well, come to think of it, my job is digging in the dirt (landscaping), except without the premium paycheck that comes with archeology.image So far I've found more money above ground than below.

But I'd love to spend a weekend kicking around a dig site though, sounds like fun.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Believe me, there is no premium paycheck in true archaeology, unless you're a tenured professor at a wealthy college. Take it from someone who worked in the field off and on for 5 years.

Now looting and treasure hunting are a different matter, but they come with the risks of jail time or losing your entire find to the govt. of Spain. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    also OT, but do we have many academics among us? if so, what field(s)??
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting. You goin', FB?

I'm going on an archaeological dig here on Thursday.

Yep, that's right. A real dig, not just as some weird solo guy with a pair of muddy overalls and a metal detector.

Daughter Victoria's fourth grade class has a field trip. Some parents were invited to come to the archaeological dig the kids will participate in.

Bet you'll never guess which parent signed up with the most quickness.

Alas, I won't be getting to go to the lab day- I guess they had limited spaces in the conservation lab. So I won't see that part of the artifact processing. But I'll be there watchin' them come outta the ground. And will likely take pictures and post them on the MD Forum.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds interesting. You goin', FB?
    >>

I was considering it, until an appointment came up.image