Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone have an Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen autograph exemplar?

I can't find a certified Mr. Mint auto (not sure who would have gotten one slabbed anyway) to compare these with.

I also found one unsigned one; I might have to bring it to the show this weekend and ask him for an autograph. Any ganders as to what his comeback would be? image

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Burn them. I have no respect for that man. I asked him for an autograph at the National and he refused, such a rude old man.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't find a certified Mr. Mint auto (not sure who would have gotten one slabbed anyway) to compare these with. >>

Unless people are faking Mr. Mint autographs these days, I'm pretty sure those are legit.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't find a certified Mr. Mint auto (not sure who would have gotten one slabbed anyway) to compare these with. >>

Unless people are faking Mr. Mint autographs these days, I'm pretty sure those are legit. >>

I am assuming the same thing, I just didn't know if a certified example existed.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Burn them. I have no respect for that man. I asked him for an autograph at the National and he refused, such a rude old man. >>

of course he did
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Burn them. I have no respect for that man. I asked him for an autograph at the National and he refused, such a rude old man. >>

Agreed. I usually hold my tongue (or fingers) when I don't have anything positive to say. However, for Mr. Mint, I make an exception. Sports memorabilia must be one of the few businesses where you can treat your customers like garbage and still thrive.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I have a video of his retirement...

• He certainly has his admirers.................

"One Of The Top Dealers In Sports Memorabilia."...Archie Comics

"Mr. Alan Rosen is our best recommendation for a sports expert." Christie's East Auctioneers

"Rosen Is Quite Simply One Of The Smartest Deal-Makers And Brokers In The Business."...Barry Halper

Jim
  • There are people who actually want his autograph?

<< <i>There are people who actually want his autograph? >>

I have no idea, I just found them in some stuff I bought not long ago.
  • He was just an average ding-dong dealer who stumbled across that 52 topps collection. Without that happening, he's a nobody.
  • aaah, my first HUGE deal was with Mr Rosen back in 1981 when he bought my 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Set....
    I was 12 years old and needless to say all those $100 bills impressed me at the time...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son got this one in the early 90s.

Can't remember the first time I bought something from him - it was quite a long time ago?

I can't say much for his humility at the time?
    Mike

<< <i>image

My son got this one in the early 90s.

Can't remember the first time I bought something from him - it was quite a long time ago?

I can't say much for his humility at the time? >>

Wow, the R's look much different.
  • How has he managed to get so much publicity, yet no one says anything good about him? Isn't that kind of ironic.

Remember his yellow auction inserts in SCD in the 90's? He had some great stuff. I wonder what happened to all of it. It was all pre PSA and GAI (for packs).

I wonder how many high grade 52 Mantles would exist (or any player) without his find. Didn't at least one of the PSA 10's come from that find.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought his book back in 1992 at the old Willow Grove show.......Actually not a bad read & should be part of any hobby library

God has it really been nearly 20 years?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Are Mr. Mint and Les Grossman Cousins?

• +1 Grossman sighting.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(not sure who would have gotten one slabbed anyway) >>

Michael,

That would be me, LOL. Here's mine and it passed either PSA/DNA or JSA/BGS. I don't remember which one I sent it to. I believe it was JSA/BGS when they were here in Dallas. My cards are stored offsite so it's not too easy for me to look, but it did pass. Here's the pre-slabbed scan from my hard drive.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He was just an average ding-dong dealer who stumbled across that 52 topps collection. Without that happening, he's a nobody. >>

I grew up going to church in Paris, TN and would go to a card shop there often. It stings the find was so close.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember his yellow auction inserts in SCD in the 90's? >>

I got banned in 1994 from bidding in any of his future auctions. I'll share the story with anyone in person. Let's just say his definition of "mint" and mine differ.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Remember his yellow auction inserts in SCD in the 90's? >>

I got banned in 1994 from bidding in any of his future auctions. I'll share the story with anyone in person. Let's just say his definition of "mint" and mine differ. >>

Boy - do I agree with that!

I have to say tho - I did pick up a really nice 79T rack case from him back around 1993 - so my experience isn't a total loss.
    Mike
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I just can't see myself asking him for an auto, nevermind having a card of his.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody got the full story on the '52 find or photos of it at all?

Tabe
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    oh boy--so many stories so little time.

Alan had some great stuff back in the late 80' mid 90s. I bought most of my unopened vintage from his auctions. Always amazing stuff.

But what a JERK ! I stopped doing business with him due to his pi$$ poor attitude and indifference.

The '52 find was from a gentleman in Massachusetts. Think there were about 50 mantles and pretty much 50 of all the high numbers. Amazing find. I still have the SCD where he was selling the find. Mantles I think were sold for $2,000. And yes at least 1 if not 2 PSA-10s came from this find.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    He was passing out bobble heads at the Chicago National back in 2002. The first XX, don't remember the exact number he autographed and mine was one of the special ones. Here is scan of the auto that was on the box and the bobble head...the scan isn't the greatest but you can see this cherished piece from my collection.......al.

item is available if anyone interested. highest price always considered first......
  • Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    If anyone has one, I'd pay 50 bucks for a Rosen autograph.... on one of those pictures of Benjamin Franklin that he's holding in the picture (assuming they are real).

I wonder what a 'deal used' Rosen silver ear stud would bring on the open market!
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Heh found this while looking for more info on Mr. Mints 1952 find:

link

• << <i>Heh found this while looking for more info on Mr. Mints 1952 find:

link >>

Two months too early!
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heh found this while looking for more info on Mr. Mints 1952 find:

link >>

Two months too early! >>

Haha yeah, but I'd forget about this thread by then
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone has one, I'd pay 50 bucks for a Rosen autograph.... on one of those pictures of Benjamin Franklin that he's holding in the picture (assuming they are real).

I wonder what a 'deal used' Rosen silver ear stud would bring on the open market! >>

If your serious about owning his autograph you can have the autoraphed box and his bobble head for $25 delivered.
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

I actually just saw Rosen for the first time in October. There is a local show in Rochester, NY twice a year. I went in October, and was surprised to see him at a table. I always thought he hit up major shows, and I just didnt picture this show to be a major one. It was basically just him sitting there at an empty table, with a banner, and people would come up to him with their stuff. He didnt look busy at all. The one person that I did see go up to him, he didnt handle the cards very well. They were in hard plastics, but he was just basically rumagging through them, tossing them hard on the table, etc. Even if you didnt know who he was, you would be able to figure out pretty immediately that he was someone of importance (whether the level of importance is in his own mind or not). He just has this aura about him, a certain c%c*iness. And he's an extremely loud talker. He will be at this show in Batavia next weekend as well. He's from Long Island, right? I guess it's not that far of a drive for him, but he just looked out of place at this show
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a really common complaint about Rosen - that he treats people's stuff like crap. There's a video out there of him buying stuff from some guy and he is really rough on the goods.

Tabe
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    My son and I were in Willow Grove back in 88 and my son got the biggest laugh from watching him acting like a jerk.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)