Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Requesting Autogragh "My Way" from player

Hey guys,

As many of you know I am part of the Error/Variation/Promo/Rare card collectors that often spend more time looking for lesser know items and often overpay. I am working on a few projects that are huge for me and have some questions that I don't know who to ask.

So, here is my scenario:

If you want a player to sign a card, picture, and/or index card a certain way -- will they do this...for example, ask bo jackson to sign Bo "knows" Jackson or Roger "The Rocket" Clemens etc....

My player is : Mike Witt

I had one Mike Witt 1990 upper deck black box and sold it when I needed money badly to Keith Olbermann -- (He has at least 3 now) -- and I am lucky enough to obtain another {1 or 2 image}

So, here are my questions for this project:

1. Would you guys let Mike Witt sign this card (due to the rarity)

2. Would Mike Witt sign this way, Mike "Black Box" Witt

3. Should he sign the card itself, a picture, or an index card

4. Would you have him sign the front or back of card (since black box is on back -- for display purposes)

5. How would you go about doing this since I hear Witt is a tough get (agent, show, ttm, etc).....

Hopefully, there are some people that can help when their past experiences as this project has taken a very long time to get going and I want this to be the cornerstone for my collection (at this time)

Thanks anyone that can truly help and took the time to read all of the above....please reply or PM me as I will check back often for responses...

-richtree
Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• Options
    Well all you can do is ask and all they can say is no. And my rule of thumb is never send anything you can't afford to lose. It's up to you if you want to send the card.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    obviously, I wouldn't do the card TTM -- but an index card would work TTM...

ps -- is there anywhere that is good for seeing who is signing at shows....
    Buying:
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    check signingshotline.com. If you pay an inscription fee, I'm not sure why that one would be a big issue for Witt. I know Bo Jackson won't sign "Bo Knows" funny enough. I think Clemens will sign "Rocket"
  • Options
    thanks, Vito...I ll have to keep checking ....This is going to be tough, but at least he seems to be in my area when he does sign...

if anyone has a TTM address please PM me ...
    Buying:
  • Options
    Keep in mind a signed copy is probably less desirable to most so factor that into it. If it was me, I'd probably get the corrected one signed to put next to it or a photo.
  • Options

<< <i>Keep in mind a signed copy is probably less desirable to most so factor that into it. If it was me, I'd probably get the corrected one signed to put next to it or a photo. >>

thanks for feedback....I may just go with a TTM index card to start....
    Buying:
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I looked on StarTiger.com and the last address listed was from 2004. There have been no successful listings since then. HOWEVER, I looked him up on WhitePages.Com and the same address was listed, so I am guessing he is still at the addy below.

37 Poppy Hills Road
    Laguna Beach, CA 92651

GOOD LUCK! Let us know what happens.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Just a bit of advice if you're sending to a player TTM at an address that you KNOW is good but they usually don't return things TTM, add $20 in cash and write "donation enclosed" on it. Odds of it coming back are a bit better in my experience.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd personally wait for a Private Signing somewhere (the guy did toss a no-hitter in 1984).

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    thanks for replys again guys...
    Buying:
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Make contacts with some serious Angels collectors to get advance notice of when he may be signing at team-affiliated events. I would also contact Hall of Fame Sports to find out if they have him scheduled for a signing (or are working on getting him). Be forewarned that their prices are quite expensive.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Witt is not much of a signer. Tough to get him. I dont know why but he's just one of those guys. I was fortunate enough to get a couple done by an SCN member about a year ago for 15 bucks each but no inscriptions. To give you an idea how tough Witt can be, there was recently an SCN member that paid 90 bucks for a signed card for his set. Personally, I think that is way over the top but he is tough. Keep your eye out for any signings! If inscriptions are allowed, it will be advertised for sure. Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>Witt is not much of a signer. Tough to get him. I dont know why but he's just one of those guys. I was fortunate enough to get a couple done by an SCN member about a year ago for 15 bucks each but no inscriptions. To give you an idea how tough Witt can be, there was recently an SCN member that paid 90 bucks for a signed card for his set. Personally, I think that is way over the top but he is tough. Keep your eye out for any signings! If inscriptions are allowed, it will be advertised for sure. Good luck! >>

great answer....thanks...if anyone hears of anything (shows,etc) please give me a holler..

thanks again

rich
    Buying:
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    he did a signing with MAB in November but before that it looks like 2009 was is last one. He does sign though apparently from this so keep your eyes open.

Personally I wouldnt have a player sign a rare card as if you ever want to sell it you limit your market...but thats up to each collector.