Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jose Canseco Private Signing - Closed - Updated on Friday 3-15-12

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend, outside of these boards of course image

Well I was wondering who would be interested in getting some cards signed by Jose Canseco.

I actually had the pleasure of speaking to him over the phone yesterday after sending an email a few days ago to him asking if it would be possible if we send him cards in the mail, would he sign. Ive gotta admit that he was a bit hesitant at first but after we were speaking for about 20 min, I think he realized I was a genuine fan and so he gave me the green light to pursue. He knows this is strictly for us. Only catch is that we need to make it worth his wild and come up with a certain amount or more worth of signing which I can understand.

I think this is pretty neat on Jose Cansecos part to agree with this.

You would not have to pay anything upfront. I will do that because its going to make it easier on everyone. I would pay him directly though paypal just to get the money out of the way with him. All you would have to do is mail your cards(s) to get signed to me and I will package all of them together in 1 box and it will go straight to his doorstep. Payment to get the card back of course would be expected once I get them back. I think that's fair. He just wont have everyone mailing him stuff. I had to make this as easy for him as possible.

Its $20 a card. $1 for shipping. Total of $21. With that dollar, itll be enough to send the card to him and also have the card come back to you.

I think it would be a great time to get that 86 Donruss signed along with maybe any other rookies and even get the slabbed.. I will be sending him 2 out myself (and will be paying for mine as well). There is nothing to gain for me except that I got to speak with him (which he was really nice and that made my day). I'm looking for 20 people to sign up for this "care package".

Once the 20 is full, Ill do one more little round to whoever wants to get in but again - the 20 needs to fill up. After that, start mailing your cards to me. Im expecting the turn around to be about 2 weeks from the time I get the cards. Hopefully this will be a positive turnout and thread. For those who feel the need to be negative and bash, thats fine, your participation isn't mandatory.

I will upfront guarantee that these cards will go to Jose Canseco since I have direct contact with him. For some reason if you are not satisfied with your auto or if it doesn't pass any authentication , I will personally refund you your money - you now have that in writing.

Lets do this!!

1 - Foo3112 (Ready To Go)
2 - Foo3112 (Ready To Go)
3 - Muggyman (Received)
4 - miconelegacy
5 - miconelegacy
6 - miconelegacy
7 - miconelegacy
8 - Sean1125 (Received)
9 - 1980scollector
10 - Toro (Received)
11 - Toro (Received)
12 - Toro (Received)
13 - Toro (Received)
14 - Toro (Received)
15 - 5714Ks (Received)
16 - ROCKDJRW (Received)
17 - Nightcrawler (Ready To Go)
18 - chromerookies (Received)
19 - chromerookies (Received)
20 - chromerookies (Received)
21 - chromerookies (Received)
22 - chromerookies (Received)
23 - lilmule (Received Friday)
24 - lilmule (Received Friday)
25 - JustinsShoebox (Received)
26 - MBMiller25 (Received)
27 - matthewbschultz83 (Received)
28 - MacrosB (Received)
29 - scmavl (Received)
30 - scmavl (Received)
31 - scmavl (Received)

Comments

• Options
    Sounds cool, thanks Foo man!

1 - Foo3112
    2 - Foo3112
    3 - Muggyman (1 cello pack)
    4 -
    5 -
    6 -
    7 -
    8 -
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 -
    14 -
    15 -
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
  • Options
    Sorry Marc for not calling you back last night. I got busy with my kids, and after reading through all the drama this week here on the boards, I just crashed out. I was exhausted. Marc and I have been talking about this for the last week together. It's all legit and I will back him up if there are authenticity issues. Please let's keep this one healthy.

I bet we can get more than 20. How long do we have Marc? I'm going to crack out some of his very expensive $10 PSA 10's and take the chance and get them signed.

1 - Foo3112
    2 - Foo3112
    4 - miconelegacy
    5 - miconelegacy
    6 - miconelegacy
    7 - miconelegacy
    8 -
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 -
    14 -
    15 -
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    I'd be interested depending on how many we can get.
  • Options
    Thanks again Mike. I figured you got caught up.

To answer your question of "How long do we have" - Id say until we get the 20, but if this goes well past that number sooner than expected (which I think you may be correct) and more people show interest, than I will keep this open probably till the end of the week if its still strong. Im sure some of you may want to get the best card possible on eBay or your favorite card by him signed and I know that it takes time when you order online so what I will do is at least pay Jose $400 minimum up front but before I do that, I just want to make sure we got the 20 cards so I get my funds back too. In the meantime, get your cards ready and I can always send him the cards sometime by mid next week.

I understand not everyone comes on this board everyday so I want to give EVERYONE a chance and let not 1 single person not get an opportunity regardless of the quarls we may have had in the past.

Once we get the 20 people, Im going to post my address where you can start sending your cards. Please label your package with your name/contact number/return address and label your card maybe with a little sticker. That way the cards dont get mixed when they get signed.

Jose said he can even take a picture on his phone and send it to me as proof with the package. I can ask him to take a picture with him holding a paper of my screen name for this board so you guys can see that its really him signing to put any minds at ease.

Lets keep this going. Might not get another chance at this one.
    Marc
  • Options
    I'll take 2 at the moment then. Let me know if you get extras
  • Options
    Honestly, I think you can get 50. I'll just do 5 spots for now. I'm headed to ebay to buy a few rookies.

Edited to add: I don't want to seem greedy so if you want to limit me to less, just let me know.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Be very careful. Jose is known for having Ozzie do things for him, including signings. Hopefully he will be the one signing...there was a big nutty thing that happened with him on SCN last year. I hope it works out well. Personally, I will never get anything from Jose unless someone is there in person to verify its him. Him and Ozzie look so much alike that the best way to differentiate between the two is by their tattoos. Ask Jose for someone to take a couple pics of him signing items if you dont have anyone to be personally there to do it with him. At least then, you can see the items that have been sent and verify it was him and not Ozzie.

Heck, it may have even been Ozzie you were on the phone with LOL
  • Options
    Good point Yankeeno7. Ive heard of the switcheroo's also but Jose did send me a picture of him holding some bats because were were talking about some prices (unfortunately its too much for me). Canseco does have a birth mark on his left hand and it can be clearly seen in the text picture he sent me. Its him for sure. I could also tell between Ozzie and him. Thanks for your concern and I would love for you to get in on this if youre interested and not pass this up.

As far as a limit of what to get signed - not at all. If we get 50, awesome, 100 even better. He knows its for you guys. Jose would not have an issue signing 1000 cards. Trust me image

Ill probably be expanding the list here once we get closer.

Edited for updated list:

1 - Foo3112
    2 - Foo3112
    4 - miconelegacy
    5 - miconelegacy
    6 - miconelegacy
    7 - miconelegacy
    8 - Sean1125
    9 - Sean1125
    10 - Toro
    11 - Toro
    12 - Toro
    13 - Toro
    14 - Toro
    15 -
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -

Toro, just saw your message below - He lives in Vegas now.

• Options
    Alright, I just spent about $60 on Canseco cards. I'm doing a 86 Topps Tiffany, a handful of 86 Donruss and some 88 Tiffany's(MVP). Thanks for putting it together! I'd like to meet the guy some day, what state is he in? When you think about it, it's amazing what effect he had on American sports and beyond. I recall HGH being banned in the military after the baseball fiasco.

Edited to add: Just found a clip on YouTube, looks like he lives in Vegas...(just saw your statement on the bottom, thanks!)
    Jose Canseco in Vegas
  • Options
    I would like to add two cards.
    Thank you for putting this together.
  • Options
    Updated List. Thanks

1 - Foo3112
    2 - Foo3112
    4 - miconelegacy
    5 - miconelegacy
    6 - miconelegacy
    7 - miconelegacy
    8 - Sean1125
    9 - 1980scollector
    10 - Toro
    11 - Toro
    12 - Toro
    13 - Toro
    14 - Toro
    15 - 5714Ks
    16 - 5714Ks
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
  • Options
    We can get anything signed right? Or this is only for cards?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Only catch is that we need to make it worth his wild...... >>

i found this grammatical slip-up to be quite humorous. image

not participating, but sounds like a neat idea and i'm sure Jose is happy to know he has another fan club. image
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I would like one slot as well.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Hi Sean,

Only cards. If that would be an issue, please let me know asap. I think Im going to pay him the $400 tomorrow to seal the deal with our 20 cards. Ill still be taking names (after the 20) and just might have to make another payment later on the week for the rest who want in.

If this one becomes successful and hes happy with it and see's how easy it was for him, I think he would go for another run from the conversation I got yesterday. I was really surprised at how down to earth he was. I didnt feel like he was trying to rush me off the phone or anything.

Thanks guys. Cant wait to get my 86 Donsruss signed along with my 91 Donruss Elite - or maybe the 86 Topps Traded. What are you guys going to send?

1 - Foo3112
    2 - Foo3112
    4 - miconelegacy
    5 - miconelegacy
    6 - miconelegacy
    7 - miconelegacy
    8 - Sean1125
    9 - 1980scollector
    10 - Toro
    11 - Toro
    12 - Toro
    13 - Toro
    14 - Toro
    15 - 5714Ks
    16 - 5714Ks
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
  • Options
    Just sign me up for one card then - was hoping to get something else signed.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty sad that Jose Canseco has come this far down in life. That guy was like a rock star in the late 80's!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Foo might just be Jose himself, working the boards.
  • Options
    Yeah, Im really Ozzie image
  • Options
    <<"Only cards...">>

How about, on top of a card still sealed in a cello pack, ok?
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I've shared this before, but years ago when I was stationed in California, my friend and I went to an A's game. This was in early 1990, and the A's were HUGE! After the game we waited at a fence by the player parking lot for autographs. One by one, the A's came out and ignored us. Not a single player came by. There were about 35 of us on one fence, and maybe 15-20 at the other. Jose was the last guy out. He came to the fence with his wife Esther and he signed something for every single one of us. While he was signing, he told his wife to go to the other fence and let them know he was going to be coming over there to sign for them when he was done. This was in 1990. Who was a bigger star in baseball in 1990 than Canseco? So, whatever anyone wants to say of him, my memory of him is of a positively nice guy that made a lot of fans go home happy.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I've shared this before, but years ago when I was stationed in California, my friend and I went to an A's game. This was in early 1990, and the A's were HUGE! After the game we waited at a fence by the player parking lot for autographs. One by one, the A's came out and ignored us. Not a single player came by. There were about 35 of us on one fence, and maybe 15-20 at the other. Jose was the last guy out. He came to the fence with his wife Esther and he signed something for every single one of us. While he was signing, he told his wife to go to the other fence and let them know he was going to be coming over there to sign for them when he was done. This was in 1990. Who was a bigger star in baseball in 1990 than Canseco? So, whatever anyone wants to say of him, my memory of him is of a positively nice guy that made a lot of fans go home happy. >>

I had an equally awesome experience with Bonds.
  • Options
    Your good with a sealed pack Muggs.
  • Options

<< <i>I've shared this before, but years ago when I was stationed in California, my friend and I went to an A's game. This was in early 1990, and the A's were HUGE! After the game we waited at a fence by the player parking lot for autographs. One by one, the A's came out and ignored us. Not a single player came by. There were about 35 of us on one fence, and maybe 15-20 at the other. Jose was the last guy out. He came to the fence with his wife Esther and he signed something for every single one of us. While he was signing, he told his wife to go to the other fence and let them know he was going to be coming over there to sign for them when he was done. This was in 1990. Who was a bigger star in baseball in 1990 than Canseco? So, whatever anyone wants to say of him, my memory of him is of a positively nice guy that made a lot of fans go home happy. >>

That's awesome because he was a rock star in 1990 for sure. Especially in No Cal.
  • Options
    Whether the juice was loose or not, Canseco, Bonds, etc where azing athletes. You just can't take a pill and a needle and get in great shape. These two the juice was definitely loose.

Clemens probably too. I bet you it's as high as 40 plus percent in most sports. Do I think Neil Armstrong did too? I don't care. Someone taking roids doesn't sway me one way or another as far as liking them.

The time isn't complete with HGH and hormone replacement therapy, roids whatever anyone wants to call it. If you abuse it to much for to long you'll probably die. Just like alcohol, smoking, etc. What hasn't been proven yet is at maintenance doses will this help you to live longer and healthier...

But then again Arnold, Stallone, Hogan, etc still look pretty good considering. Canseco obviously does too at 47. The real test will be how long all these heavy users live. Wrestlers are probably the highest users, D would know better.

But, if these athletes and stars, Zach Efron whatever his name is. Look at his pics b4 and after movies. Movie stars are gobbling up HGH like candy. The real test will be how long everyone lives. If life expectancy is increased, or lifestyles are maintained into later years in life, well then everyone will be taking it like vitamins.

Time will tell.

I have never thought badly about any of them. Steroids don't just make people look bigger or swollen. Many athletes are lean and cut because of them too. Society just looks at the block heads and points them out. There's a ton more that we would never think are using but are.

Good to hear the Canseco stories. The Bash brothers played a big role in me falling in love with this sport.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    He was my hero as a kid. How were you able to get in touch with him?
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, Im really Ozzie image >>

Well if you're gonna pick another alt, might as well go with Ozzie.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I believe that almost everything mentioned in Canseco's first book on baseball and steroids has been proven to be correct....IIRC.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    An Alt accusing someone else of being an alt.

You can't make this chit up.

Marc, looks like it's going to happen for you!

Good luck!

(Don't mind me I'm a pessimist.)

Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, I honestly thought the same exact thing. Go Figure

And to answer lahmejoons question. He posted his email for Billy Beane on his Twitter. I figured what the heck, it only means he's reading his emails. I"ll say this though, Canseco did not reply to me a few times. It actually wasnt looking good. It defintely took a few emails to finally get his attention. I would include my number in every single one and he finally called me back. It took pursuading on my end and he's actually being cool enough to particapate. I reached out to him, he's doing US the favor - but in the end, we all get what we want and everyones happy.

So who else is in... lets get some names on that list. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

• Options

I wouldn't mind having one signed too. If anyone involved has a spare Conseco rc I could buy that would make it easy for me.
  • Options
    Ill hook you up Nightcrawler. Ive got a double of his 86 Donruss. No charge - for the card that is image

Glad you decided to come on board.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Oh no. What will happen with that one eBay seller who has the Canseco Donruss RC auto for like a million dollars. You guys will ruin the value of his hard-to-find, rare collectible!
  • Options
    ask him if he will sign mine, "i'm sorry I cheated at Baseball" on mine and I'm in,,, j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Anyone care to sell me an 86 Donruss Rookie? If not I will get him in a White Sox uniform for my Sox collection. Thanks for setting this up!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    ask him if he will sign mine, "i'm sorry I cheated at Baseball" on mine and I'm in,,, j

Sorry, I think Pete Rose already petten that.

For the rest of you who dont have cards, I assure I will give you time to get something on ebay. I wont send them out till mid next week. Ill will try to hold out as long as I can to make sure everyone gets the card(s) they want signed.

And thank you guys for participating as well.
  • Options
    He was my favorite player so this is awesome! Count me in for 5 cards!
    Thank you for setting this up,
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>He was my favorite player so this is awesome! Count me in for 5 cards!
    Dan >>

I have to ask, why 5? One I get. Two maybe as you get one for a friend. However, why 5? They are never going to be worth any money. Do you horde them? I am serious. Not trying to be a smartalec. I collect valueless autographs myself but try to limit it to one per player. I even get my valueless autographed encapsulated at PSA so I understand wasting money. Just wondering about the 5.
  • Options

<< <i>Whether the juice was loose or not, Canseco, Bonds, etc where azing athletes. You just can't take a pill and a needle and get in great shape. These two the juice was definitely loose.

Clemens probably too. I bet you it's as high as 40 plus percent in most sports. Do I think Neil Armstrong did too? I don't care. Someone taking roids doesn't sway me one way or another as far as liking them.

.... >>

Totally agree they were amazing athletes. It's a shame they didn't just play it clean. However, few athletes did in those days.

As for "Neil Armstrong" did he use steroids to deal with the affect of weightlessness in outter space? image
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dan >>

I have to ask, why 5? One I get. Two maybe as you get one for a friend. However, why 5? They are never going to be worth any money. Do you horde them? I am serious. Not trying to be a smartalec. I collect valueless autographs myself but try to limit it to one per player. I even get my valueless autographed encapsulated at PSA so I understand wasting money. Just wondering about the 5. >>

Sometimes nostalgia overrides common sense. I totally get it. I'm on the fence about getting one, but I'm considering it because he was my childhood hero. I could see indulging in multiple because of the nostalgic value if you could afford it.
  • Options

<< <i>

Dan >>

I have to ask, why 5? One I get. Two maybe as you get one for a friend. However, why 5? They are never going to be worth any money. Do you horde them? I am serious. Not trying to be a smartalec. I collect valueless autographs myself but try to limit it to one per player. I even get my valueless autographed encapsulated at PSA so I understand wasting money. Just wondering about the 5. >>

no prob. Canseco is my favorite player and I want all his r.c's signed and I'm also toying with the idea of starting a 1989 Topps set signed.So I was gonna send in his 1989 Topps base and A.S and his 1986 Topps,Donruss + Fleer. I actually have alot more I would like signed but will stop at $100 which is good for now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dan >>

Sometimes nostalgia overrides common sense. I totally get it. I'm on the fence about getting one, but I'm considering it because he was my childhood hero. I could see indulging in multiple because of the nostalgic value if you could afford it. >>

also, why assume I'm hoarding his 86' D. signed? He has hundreds of different cards. I have 10 different cards I want signed from him but will do the other 5 at a later date. lahmejoon got it right with the nostalgic value of it as if this signing was for ,say, Kirk Gibson I would have no interest at all in it. But its for my favorite player at a good price so I'm in.
  • Options
    Was sending out PM's and accidentally posted some of them with follow up info on here. Opps image

Anyone else in for the night shift?
  • Options
    I can spot the bill upfront up to the first 30 cards so looks like we have about 5 or 6 spots left. Anyone after 30 would have to pay upfront. Get in on this while you can.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I have to ask, why 5? One I get. Two maybe as you get one for a friend. However, why 5? They are never going to be worth any money. Do you horde them? I am serious. Not trying to be a smartalec. I collect valueless autographs myself but try to limit it to one per player. I even get my valueless autographed encapsulated at PSA so I understand wasting money. Just wondering about the 5. >>

He started his career out on a tear. Rookie of the Year, MVP, first 40-40 man, World Series champions. BUT......He ended his baseball career by essentially being blacklisted. He then wrote a book that told the truth about baseball. What he did expands beyond baseball, into other sports and, literally, into the government. How many of us ever heard of the feds being involved in anything about sports?(besides gambling). Whether anyone likes it or not, he is a historical figure in baseball. Valueless? Nope!
  • Options
    Can we make specific requests like have the card signed in blue sharpie, etc.?
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    All cards will probably be signed in Blue Sharpie. I'm not really gonna push my luck and ask him to switch back and fourth. One color for all cards.

Let me know, few slots available.
  • Options
    dear Foo3112 - if any spots are available, count me in. PM me with instructions. thank you.

Pm me if you really want a spot

Marc