Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Questions for those of you that collect less "popular" players

Do you find that PSA adds your requests in a timely manner?

Do you find it aggravating that there are so many basic cards "missing" from that players Master Set?

Ever wonder if by adding a large number of missing cards, you're pissing off other member(s) of that players registry? (not that it matters, just wondering lol)
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    1) Yes, I find that they add them promptly.

2) Nope. Add them as I/we go.

3) I just retired a Master Set that I was #1 on because someone entered a very rare team card in which if you get out the microscope you can sort of make out the player. Since this is a $500 card in reasonable condition, I decided that I would rather spend my $500 on something that I actually WANTED rather than try to re-complete a set of a non-HOFer. I guess by putting this card in, the other collector wanted to price out the rest of us. He did. Congrats and enjoy the set.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • interesting about someone entering a $500+ card. i guess now i see a good reason for "retiring" a set.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Sam, I agree. There's idiots out there, that are adding team cards to individual players sets.
    Thereby expanding sets and almost forcing me to have to pick up team cards I don't want just to try to get
    back to 100% complete. So far I haven't deleted my sets, but I'm close to ending a few of them because of
    this. It's a real turn off man.

I also hate the fact that any card, stamp, team card, coin, etc.... can be added to any players master sets.

I think PSA's gone to the extreme end by adding everything and anything to these sets when maybe only
    person is making this add on request. They (psa) should send out emails with voting on any changes to these sets.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that all additions HAD to be voted on by all participants.
    How can one person dictate a whole set???
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Yes, I find that they add them promptly.

2) Nope. Add them as I/we go.

3) I just retired a Master Set that I was #1 on because someone entered a very rare team card in which if you get out the microscope you can sort of make out the player. Since this is a $500 card in reasonable condition, I decided that I would rather spend my $500 on something that I actually WANTED rather than try to re-complete a set of a non-HOFer. I guess by putting this card in, the other collector wanted to price out the rest of us. He did. Congrats and enjoy the set. >>

that is why I always stick with Basic sets. Newer players basic Topps. If I ever did a basic set of Brees though it would be in Topps Chrome.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • id stick with the "Basic Sets" as well IF they included "Basic Cards". Like Basic Traded Cards and more importantly, O-Pee-Chee Baseball Cards.

i know, i know, the format used was voted upon. i wasnt around back then, but im pretty sure people refused to include O-Pee-Chee Baseball because
    obtaining "PSA 10s" is next to impossible, and it would ruin their GPA
  • JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    1. Not super fast

2. No

3. Don't care, lol. I only add cards that make sense though. I'm very much against all the Mickey Mouse cards that get added.

Bernie Kosar collector

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I am only doing basic sets from now on. I am only one card away from one, so I'll finish that one up. And there are a couple that I am doing for fun (like Ron Francis hockey, which is cheap, but he is my favorite hockey player). But, for the rest of them, I am sticking to basic.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that all additions HAD to be voted on by all participants.
    How can one person dictate a whole set??? >>

That goes for key card sets. Master Player sets include all cards that meet the basic criteria (feature the player, are from his playing days, aren't numbered to less than 5, are PSA gradeable).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Is this why the master set composition for some players is so...arbitrary? The Darryl Sittler master set includes a 1973 team postcard (I think the Maple Leafs actually printed up several of these when Sittler was with the team) but not the 1974 Topps 219 Maple Leafs Team Leaders--Sittler's pictured (and named) twice, or a 1983 O-Pee-Chee sticker that I have.

(Oh--and Sittler's a HOF'er).

• << <i>Is this why the master set composition for some players is so...arbitrary? The Darryl Sittler master set includes a 1973 team postcard (I think the Maple Leafs actually printed up several of these when Sittler was with the team) but not the 1974 Topps 219 Maple Leafs Team Leaders--Sittler's pictured (and named) twice, or a 1983 O-Pee-Chee sticker that I have.

(Oh--and Sittler's a HOF'er). >>

If you have a PSA graded card that you want to add, just do "Report a cert that should match this set".
    PSA usually miss some but they're easy to add.

BTW I'm working on the Sittler set too.
  • Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this why the master set composition for some players is so...arbitrary? The Darryl Sittler master set includes a 1973 team postcard (I think the Maple Leafs actually printed up several of these when Sittler was with the team) but not the 1974 Topps 219 Maple Leafs Team Leaders--Sittler's pictured (and named) twice, or a 1983 O-Pee-Chee sticker that I have.

(Oh--and Sittler's a HOF'er). >>

If you have a PSA graded card that you want to add, just do "Report a cert that should match this set".
    PSA usually miss some but they're easy to add.

BTW I'm working on the Sittler set too. >>

Oh--hey, I thought I recognized your name.

I don't know if I'm particularly interested in the Maple Leaf postcards, probably because they are far too confusing more than anything else--I see them listed on Ebay and the sellers often don't seem to know which postcard from what year they are selling. How would I submit a postcard I bought on Ebay for grading if I'm not entirely sure which postcard it is? I do try and pick up 70's food issues for the few players I collect, but even when they are somewhat rare, they're still somewhat boring. (Let's face it--even a Gem Mint 10 MSA disc will still never be a very attractive card...er, disc.) Is there any way PSA can come up with some sort of mid-level set (between "basic" and "master") that sticks to actual trading card issues or some similar rule? I don't know...limit it to products that came somehow wrapped up in a pack with others in the same series?
  • There are some "Basic & Collector Issues Player Sets" for some players like Dryden or Gretzky. You could request one for Sittler.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of these sets. I think a basic and master is good enough.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I only do a basic player set for now. I used to be a part of the Griffey Master set, and in the course of a year the set grew by about 500. I pulled out, cut my losses and moved on. Those master sets can be impossible and more than a little frustrating.