Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The best "I swear it's real" story ...OT

Cops: Man tried to use $1M bill at NC Walmart

LEXINGTON, N.C. - Do you have change for a million-dollar bill?

Police say a North Carolina man insisted his million-dollar note was real when he was buying $476 worth of items at a Walmart.

Investigators told the Winston-Salem Journal that 53-year-old Michael Fuller tried to buy a vacuum cleaner, a microwave oven and other items. Store employees called police after his insistence that the bill was legitimate, and Fuller was arrested.

The largest bill in circulation is $100. The government stopped making bills of up to $10,000 in 1969.

Fuller was charged with attempting to obtain property by false pretense and uttering a forged instrument. He is in jail on a $17,500 bond, and it isn't clear if he has an attorney. He is scheduled to be in court Tuesday.

http://news.ca.msn.com/odd/cops-man-tried-to-use-dollar1m-bill-at-nc-walmart

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>He is in jail on a $17,500 bond...... >>

i hope they have change.
  • Options
    winner
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    People amaze me!!! LOL

The largest denomination of currency ever printed by the United States was the $100,000.00 note, not the $10,000.00 bill as stated in the article. HOWEVER, the notes were used only for official transactions between Federal Reserve Banks and were not circulated among the general public.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    So you're saying a $100,000 bill is worth well more than $100,000?
  • Options

<< <i>So you're saying a $100,000 bill is worth well more than $100,000? >>

HUH? I have NO IDEA if there is any collector value in those bills. If there is, the collectors I know sure in hell can't afford 'em! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So you're saying a $100,000 bill is worth well more than $100,000? >>

HUH? I have NO IDEA if there is any collector value in those bills. If there is, the collectors I know sure in hell can't afford 'em! LOL >>

Yes. $500, $1000 etc bills are worth well more than face value, and just like cards comics/stamps and everything else condition increases the value.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think the 10k note was only used bank to bank. I could be wrong

They also made a 100k (Wilson) note as well, but only for bank to bank.

The 500.00 IIRC has McKinley and the 1000.00 has Cleveland.

Off hand I can't remember who is on the 10k

5K (Madison) also circulated as well.

An average circulated 500.00 note will run you probably a grand, perhaps a lil less.

Around 1970 or so I had a subscription to coin age and they showed all of them.

Good for you.
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He is in jail on a $17,500 bond...... >>

i hope they have change. >>

image There should be a category for best one-liner of the year.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one for ya:

Years ago, my wife worked at the service counter at K-Mart in the small Colorado mining town in which we lived. This woman comes and wants to do a refund on a piece of jewelry. She's got the receipt and hands that, and the jewelry box, to my wife. The Mrs. opens it up to reveal.......an empty jewelry box.

"Ma'am, this box is empty. Where's the jewelry?"

"Right, I don't like it. So I'm returning it."

"Yes, but the jewelry ISN'T IN THE BOX."

"I know. I don't like it, so I'm returning it."

"Ma'am, to get a refund, you actually need to bring us back the jewelry."

"But I don't like it. That's what I want the refund."

And so on until the manager told the lady to go pound sand.

100% true story.

Tabe
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Off hand I can't remember who is on the 10k >>

I believe the $10,000 bill is Salmon Chase.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    at least he had enough on hand to pay the bail bondsman
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Well, he had a paper expert test the back of the bill. It was paper from real currency. And since he and his friend found it in a wall while remodeling a house, then it must be real.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW the story is inaccurate as the government hasn't made/printed any large denomination note over $100 since about 1934, not 1969 as stated. The feds decided to remove them from circulation in 1969.

Paul

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul I think they were last printed around 1946 but they used the 1934a series.

Also, in 1969 they stopped issuing them. (the 1934a) series notes.

I'm speaking of the 500.00 and 1000.00 notes.

Edited to add: I'm going by memory here.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500 and $1000 bills were last printed in 1934. You can buy them on apmex.com
  • Options
    I have been a currency collector off and on for about 30 years.

In any event, from the US Treasury Website:

What denominations of currency notes is the Treasury Department no longer printing?

On July 14, 1969, David M. Kennedy, the 60th Secretary of the Treasury, and officials at the Federal Reserve Board announced that they would immediately stop distributing currency in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Production of these denominations stopped during World War II. Their main purpose was for bank transfer payments. With the arrival of more secure transfer technologies, however, they were no longer needed for that purpose. While these notes are legal tender and may still be found in circulation today, the Federal Reserve Banks remove them from circulation and destroy them as they are received.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just below it mentions the Million dollar note that is the gist of this thread. It was 'manufactured by a Canadian firm and sold to collectors for 1.00.

Text

It is not uncommon for a denomination to be printed in a different year than the series it is issued for.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the education Steve. Being a PM stacker, I have thought about branching out into currency, but have yet to take the plunge.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    There was a news story earlier in the year were someone tried to use one of these at a WalMart also I believe and ended up also getting arrested. Just goes to show only the brightest shop at WalMart. These shoppers should get their pictures up on the front page of the peopleofwalmart website or be enshrined into a Hall of Fame on that site. image
  • Options
    Bob

If you do the same applies to currency as it does with cards.

Condition, condition, condition. Centering is important. Also, some people collect only star notes
    some collect serial numbers etc. I sold off most of my nicer notes back in the late 80's.

My wife was a teller at the time and brought home some crisp brown seals.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Lady liberty is on the million dollar note,,, u.s. ,, yep,, i have one,, j
    Im gonna use it in case my other retirement fund falls through,, hey 3 meals and a cot for a while better than a park bench,, lololololololol,
    i actually got this from an ebay seller, i was buying out dated diabetes test strips because quite frankly i can afford the in-date strips, i open the package and hit pay dirt when i found this in the package,, lololol
    imageimageimageimageimage