Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

A small Roman & US coin raffle- all proceeds to charity (WINNERS: ajaan, jfloomis3)

I recently promised someone I'd donate 70 bucks to a local charity like a food bank. So here's what I'll do- I'm gonna raffle off some leftover stuff from my BST swaplist. (You might recognize the descriptions as having been copied and pasted from there.)

ALL PROCEEDS WILL GO TO CHARITY.

Ladymarcovan tells me that the Emanuel Church near us has a food bank, so that's probably where the proceeds will go, unless something prevents that, in which case I'll give it to the local Humane Society (hey, we're critter people here). OR, since funds will be coming to me via PayPal (please), it might be easier if I can find an online charity that will accept PayPal donations. I'm open for suggestions, if you know of a food bank or similar charity that's set up for that.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

I'll put (15) virtual "tickets" up for sale at $5 each.

Each $5 ticket gets TWO chances to win in the random drawing (once in the first drawing and again in the second-chance drawing).

Drawings will be done when all tickets are sold.

The total collected will be $75. $70 of that will be donated and the other $5 will be used for shipping the prizes to the winners.

After all the tickets are sold, I will do a drawing, using a random number generator. Each ticket has a 1 in 15 chance of winning, and you may purchase multiple tickets if you want. The winner of the first drawing gets first choice of the two prizes below. Then a second drawing will be done and the winner of that gets the remaining prize lot. So in other words, even if your number(s) do not come up in the first drawing, you have a second chance- with the same number(s)- in the second drawing. And there's 1 in 15 odds both times (for each ticket). The prizes are shown below.

PM me to pick your numbers.

Again, it's $5 per number- each number is a virtual "ticket" in the drawing, and the same number plays again in the second drawing.

So if you buy two tickets, your chances are 2 in 15 to win in the first drawing, and 2 in 15 again in the second drawing.

WINNERS ANNOUNCED

The first number drawn was #1 (ajaan). The second was #11 (jfloomis3).

Don ("ajaan") chose the Roman coin, so Jimmy (jfloomis3) will be receiving the others. Thanks for participating.

Ticket #2- ajaan
Ticket #3- Coupdescrounge
Ticket #4- Swampboy
Ticket #5- DRUNNER
Ticket #6- Delorean
Ticket #7- jfloomis3
Ticket #8- Delorean
Ticket #9- DRUNNER
Ticket #10- Coupdescrounge
Ticket #11- jfloomis3
Ticket #12- reserved for illini420
Ticket #13- DRUNNER
Ticket #14- oreville
Ticket #15- DRUNNER

PRIZE #1: A THIRD CENTURY ROMAN COIN.

imageRoman Empire: bronze antoninianus of CARUS (282-283 AD), posthumous issue struck ca. 283 AD
CARUS, Augustus 282-283 AD. Posthumous AE antoninianus, Siscia mint, ca. 283 AD. Obverse- DIVO CARO PARTHICO, radiate head right. Reverse- CONSECRATIO AVG, flaming altar, A to right, SMSXXI in exergue. RIC-111 var., Cohen-23, Venera-4341. 21 mm, 3 g. Ex-Ancient Imports, 05/2007, Harmer Rooke 1988. I think my cost was about $55, originally.

PRIZE #2: TWO INDIAN CENTS AND A BUNCH OF WHEATIES.

Suitable for a young collector, perhaps.

imageUSA: Indian Head cent, 1889, EF+ to AU
This little Indian is pretty sharp. It's got choice EF to AU details and looks better than the picture. There are some rim nicks at 2:00 on the obverse and 11:00 on the reverse. Stick it in an album and you might not even see those, though.

imageUSA: Indian Head cent, 1909, G+ (borderline VG)
This final-year Indian is on the borderline between G6 and VG8. Some of "....RTY" in LIBERTY shows on the headband. Not counting the more valuable "S" mint cents, this is the date to have in the 20th century pieces. I guess fewer were produced in 1909 because production shifted over to the new Lincoln cents in the latter part of the year. I've recycled the previous owner's pictures above, but the color's all wrong in them. I tried reshooting it without much luck, but I did get one obverse picture which at least shows the color a little bit better.

imageUSA: 25-piece lot of all different pre-1935 Wheat cents, average circulated, P-D-S mints, plus bonus coins
Nothin' special here- just your typical low-end Wheaties- but they're all somewhat earlier dates, and all have different date and mintmark combinations. (I'm tired and don't really feel like transcribing the list of dates in this description, so just look at the scan, would you? - Thanks.) I'll add five bonus coins not seen in the picture, to bring it up to a total of 30 pieces. These are: 1935-S, 1936-S, and 1937-S average circulated, 1951-D gem BU full Red, and a 1950-P full red BU with a small planchet clip at 5:00. This "error" is only about a 1% clip, which looks like post-mint damage but isn't- it's a bonafide clip, just teeny-tiny. It doesn't even intrude fully into the rim, but just looks like somebody pinched the coin. Which the mint machinery no doubt did. Not really worth a premium as an error, but call it a fun freebie nonetheless. Add in one of my custom wooden dollars and a small prehistoric fossil shark tooth, and we've got ourselves an inexpensive package full o' fun for some discerning young collector, perhaps.

(This thread is dated December 10 but actually began on December 15. I edited an old obsolete post instead of creating a new one).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    I would buy a ticket!

How should I do it?
    Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • Options
    Paypal it ! imageimage

Pm sent, I want in too
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy- all you gotta do is PayPal gift $5 for each "ticket" (each chance in the drawing) you want.

It's $5 per number. You can pick your numbers. PM me to reserve a number or numbers and I can give you the PayPal address.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK, all our slots are assigned.

I'm gonna give it another day or two and announce the winners.

• Options
    Winners announced, coins shipped.

Donations made.