Home Sports Talk
Options

The Lakers make the call & get Chris Paul!

They're after Howard now, if they get the big man, it's church for the Heat's hope of titles......
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    there was talk a year ago about the trail blazers trading for roy..i would have liked that..i can no longer root for chris paul..booooooo
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    David Stern has killed this trade.

It wont be allowed to happen.

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    this is a circus...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    What a mess.....Stern runs the show.
  • Options
    Hornets one of the teams pegged for contraction by the NBA. Since the NBA owns the Hornets, they want Paul to walk after this 66 game season making it easier to close up shop in Hornetville
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Hornets one of the teams pegged for contraction by the NBA. Since the NBA owns the Hornets, they want Paul to walk after this 66 game season making it easier to close up shop in Hornetville >>

This is the whole problem with the NBA "owning" that team. Unless appoint a management team and then go "hands off", any move they make or don't make sets them up for criticism. The Lakers getting Paul for essentially just Odom (they were ready to part ways with Gasol anyway) just REEKS of the NBA propping up the Lakers, but NOT trading Paul and letting him walk DOES feed into the contraction theory.

Seriously though: are you telling me the best deal out there for Paul was Odom & Gasol??? Really??
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Seriously though: are you telling me the best deal out there for Paul was Odom & Gasol??? Really??>>>

Are you kidding? Gasol is a top 3-5 big man in the NBA....how was New Orleans going to do any better than Scola, Martin, Odom, and a No. 1 pick? That is what makes the rejection of this deal so appalling. The Hornets did WAY better than anyone could have imagined, given that they have ZERO leverage.

It is certainly better than a Rondo, Jeff Green and 2 No. 1 picks package that the Celtics were offering.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i><<<Seriously though: are you telling me the best deal out there for Paul was Odom & Gasol??? Really??>>>

Are you kidding? Gasol is a top 3-5 big man in the NBA....how was New Orleans going to do any better than Scola, Martin, Odom, and a No. 1 pick? That is what makes the rejection of this deal so appalling. The Hornets did WAY better than anyone could have imagined, given that they have ZERO leverage.

It is certainly better than a Rondo, Jeff Green and 2 No. 1 picks package that the Celtics were offering. >>

I guess I'm referring to the deal more from the Laker's perspective. I don't think teams were objecting to Paul getting traded as much as they were objecting to the lakers getting him for a song. Gasol isn't really a top 5 big man at this point IMO, and Odom's contract is up after this year unless the team picks up his option. The Lakers had clearly soured on Gasol after last year's playoffs, and he seemed to have lost his teammates.

In case you're still scoffing at my repudiation of your "top 3-5" comment: Howard, Nowitzki, Randolph, Griffin, Love, Stoudamire, Duncan just off the top of my head.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I agree with the earlier poster that said the NBA is trying to run this into the ground. This is the ONLY time that the Hornets can get anything for Chris Paul. After the season they get nada. Potentially, the Hornets are picking up three guys that could give them 50 points a game and at least one solid rebounder. This is how you rebuild a franchise. The Grizzlies traded Pau Gasol to the Lakers a few years ago in a similar deal. Guess who went deep in the playoffs last year, deeper than the Lakers. Yup, Memphis. Why? Partially because they traded Pau Gasol. Way to go Stern!!! I used to LOVE the NBA. Now, I casually watch it. Pretty soon it will be that I don't watch it at all. You're a loser Stern.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I just read Gilbert's email to Stern. I don't know enough about the mechanisms of the salary cap to know if this deal was truly as lopsided as Gilbert suggested. I do think that from a basketball perspective the trade seemed fair enough, but the salary issue is another beast entirely.

Gilbert's suggestion that the teams not involved in the trade should be allowed to vote on it seems reasonable, since they are, collectively, the owners of the Hornets franchise.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the deal goes through and the Laker's get Chris Paul, do not be surprised if the Lakers then make a bid for Dwight Howard. To do so the Lakers would let anyone on the team go except Kobe and Paul. Having Kobe, Paul and Howard play together as Kobe keeps playing into his mid to late 30's would be a way to insure the Laker franchise keeps on rolling to additional championship trophies.
  • Options
    <<<but the salary issue is another beast entirely>>>

I just read his email, and it seems a bit disengenuous. It sounds as if he is simply just using the annual salary of Gasol as the annual $20m in savings, and not calculating the added salary of the extension that Paul would likely sign with the Lakers. Perhaps there are some luxury tax savings, but I don't think Gilbert's dollars add up correctly.

As for a Laker teams with Paul, Kobe, Howard, and a bunch of stiffs....I wouldn't be handing them any hardware just yet. OKC would seem to be a very good matchup for those guys, since Perk can handle Howard 1-on-1.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Publicity stunt! Kind of ironic how training camps opened today and now this is one of the big stories in sports huh?! The NBA needs as much attention as they can get right now. And having a controversy seems to be the way you get people interested in you in this day and age!
  • Options
    No kidding...first the Paul trade, and now apparently the Magic may be filing tampering charges against the Nets for talking with Howard.

Funny, where were the tampering charges when Riley was positioning the Heat over the last couple of years to get LeBron and Bosh??
  • Options
    Gilbert had 8 years to try and put a team around Lebron, and plenty of time to try and resign him. He couldn't get it done. Cuban got it done at the last moment and got a title, one and done. Stern is an idiot. If Cuban and Gilbert don't like it, then they should sell their teams and find something else to do. Their temporary manufactured speed bump won't alter the Lakers anyway. The Lakers will get something, someday, with somebody, and whatever players, either by trade deadline, or try and sign CP3 as a free agent. Funny, Gilbert, Cuban and Stern think they are trying to help the small market, and all they did was keep the Hornets from getting like 5 players and a draft pick. And Paul walks anyway. Plus, the Lakers will still find a way at some point in time. Nice work guys!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    The Hornets might be better off if they keep Paul and let him walk then pick up all those bloated salaries.
    IMO Gasol and Odom are on the downside of their careers, you won't win anything with them. If you are going to blow up the Hornets you need cap room and young talent.
  • Options

<< <i>The Hornets might be better off if they keep Paul and let him walk then pick up all those bloated salaries.
    IMO Gasol and Odom are on the downside of their careers, you won't win anything with them. If you are going to blow up the Hornets you need cap room and young talent. >>

What the hell do you know, Ron??? Hahahaha.....just kidding. Good point. Well, now today I am ticked. Lamar traded to Mavs for draft picks. Which means they are going to make a try for howard. If they get howard for bynum and gasol, then we lost Lamar for no reason. We still could have had at least one big in Lamar to be alongside Howard. Now if Lakers get Howard, he has no help for this season at least. If Lakers don't get Howard, then Lakers have same team as last season minus Lamar, killing the depth for no reason!!! Argh!!! Instead of flushing my toilet, I think I'll just mail it to Stearn.......
  • Options
    well good luck clips
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2