Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does anyone "LOVE THE VINTAGE FOOTBALL" anymore?

The "Love the Vintage Football" thread has always been my all-time favorite read on the forum and it has become Ancient history on here. Any vintage football lovers left on here anymore?

I'll get things started....I took about a 8 month hiatus from cardboard and I have recently returned to action. Here are my recent pick-ups...

Give BigDaddyBowman an early Christmas present and get this thread going again!

Comments

• Very nice cards. I love the Groza RC
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Great cards.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • I'm still loving the vintage football. I am about to hit 50% on my 1954 Bowman set in all 8's or better. I've had to slow down a bit simply because it is getting harder to find the cards I need. Some of the short prints just never show up. Considering picking up a couple of 7's in order to fill those slots, but so far I've resisted the temptation. My 50, 51, 55, and 56 sets are works in progress. I still don't have enough 52's or 53's to warrant saying that I am 'working' on the sets. My goal is to complete the 50, 51, 55, and 56 sets in PSA 7-8 and the 54 set in PSA 8 by the end of 2014. That will leave me time to work on the 52's and 53's until I retire.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Vintage football is severely undervalued, IMO.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    Just recently bought, broke up, and sold a 1951 Topps Magic Set. All graded PSA 5-8.5 with a few 1 of 1's with no higher were included. Some of the highlights:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Nice cards BDB! Nice Topps magic too, dont see those to often

I dont purchase much football but I splurged on this one-

• TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I still like vintage football and the cards posted look great. I agree there are some good values in vintage football, especially, the big name players. Not sure how much growth potential there is with commons and low end HOFers. Vintage for me includes more recent cards than what are posted. I would include cards up into the early 70's in the vintage category. Though, opinions vary.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Great Thorpe....Simply a cool loooking card!

Sam, you sound like me! Attacking all of the Bowmans sets and not being able to finish any! I m close on the 51 set in SGC 7+ and 48 Bowman in SGC 5+ but i've been close for about a year now and can't seem to advance. The 53 and 50 sets will probably be next challenge.

Awesome Topps Magics..its too bad the set lacks star power....I can only imagine if they would have included some of the rookies in the 52 Bowman set in them.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    fantastic cards. love the 50 bow. Centering is great on them.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are mine from my Steeler HOF set.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

• BigDaddy,

Just wondering why are you collecting the vintage football in SGC and not PSA? I was thinking about starting to collect vintage football cards myself and I think they look better in the SGC holder, but was wondering if there are other reasons behind it.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    sort of a puny offering for the thread, but collecting well-loved vintage is how I roll. For $5 I couldn't resist knocking this off of my wantlist. It's the ultra-rare "completely encased with tape" variation.

and yes, the pube is also encased. image

'52 Bowman Small Bob Waterfield - I just need Robustelli to finish off my Rams set

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I love Vintage Footbal.Have sets on the registry.Just click the link. The cards shown on your thread are awesome.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    That Stautner is one tough card and the Waterfield looks like some kid back in 52 real enjoyed it...which is what the hobby is really about..right? I always crack up when i see that Johnson card....its like he's being arrested!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To answer the question about why I collect in SGC (in no particular order)
    1) Black insert makes the cards..especially the old Bowmans look like framed pieces of art. I also like the fact they state rookie on the flip.

2) I have bought/owned/sold thousands of PSA graded vintage football cards and time after time I am disapointed with the condition for the grade stated on the slab. Too many times a 7 looked like a 5 or 6 to me, or the card appears to be trimmed, or they missed a crease or something else. I have not had these bad experiences with SGC..if anything the card tends to look nicer than the grade in SGC. That is what I care about most, the card looking great, not the grade on the flip...I just use the stated grade as a guide as to what to go after. I trust SGC more, I feel they are more consistent with their grading.

3) It is much more of a challenge to collect in SGC because there is less quantity out there. This makes the thrill of the chase even sweeter...I have to admit more frustrating at times too. Its almost too easy to collect these sets in PSA....I like the challenge I guess.

4) I like SGC registry with the pictures. I wish more collectors were on it though.

5) To go along with #2, the cost of SGC grading is cheaper and more efficient...they provide great customer service. I have NEVER had a submission take longer than stated to return.

6) I have found that commons tend to sell for less in SGC in auction -style sales, obviously due to the registry demand of PSA. You can pay less for the commons and focus more funds on the stars. Stars and rookies tend to sell for the same as PSA. At the same time, I have to admit I have overpaid for MANY commons in SGC too ...because in my opinion, the best way to sell SGC..to maximize the profit is not in auctions, but in buy it nows. Less registry collectors means less bidding wars, but there are enough SGC collectors out there like myself who will pay top dollar for the cards in SGC and to reach them, buy it nows are best. Its no doubt that selling PSA cards is easier, but if you are patient....you can get similar dollar in SGC slabs too. So the concern of selling your set or collection for fair market value when the time comes isnt a major issue to me.
    SGC slab has so much more eye appeal in my opinion...
    imageimage
    OK 50-51 Bowman football collectors..I have a question for you. Has anyone else noticed that finding on ebay and also getting grades of 7 or higher by the third party graders is VERY difficult for cards of Cleveland Browns players? I can't tell you how many 50 and 51 Bowman Browns..guys like Mac Speedie, Dub Jones, Dante Lavelli I have struggled with trying to find or get in a 7 or higher. I have found MANY 6's that appear to be 7's...almost like a conspiracy or something? image
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Can't let this thread drop to Page 2...

Here are a few of my vintage cards all presented in 94/100th scale (I included a couple of Browns to prove to BDB that I was reading):

The 1910 T6 is the Premium of the 1910 T51 Murads, is ginormous and is the highest graded.

A couple of Brownies from the '50 Bowman Set for BD along with a Cardinal on a Packers card and a Mayo Cut Plug.

A few cards from my favorite set.

A few more from the '48 Leaf and the late "Jet."
  • Fu"kin Big daddy's the mad notes on fb.

I feel honor because I can view his cards.

Just grabbed a wrinkled Thiesmann...

• Oh ya Scott,... ha ha

You're the best ol chum, great stuff.
  • Game used,.. does it ever end...

Keep that great stuff coming guys. image
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>OK 50-51 Bowman football collectors..I have a question for you. Has anyone else noticed that finding on ebay and also getting grades of 7 or higher by the third party graders is VERY difficult for cards of Cleveland Browns players? I can't tell you how many 50 and 51 Bowman Browns..guys like Mac Speedie, Dub Jones, Dante Lavelli I have struggled with trying to find or get in a 7 or higher. I have found MANY 6's that appear to be 7's...almost like a conspiracy or something? image >>

I agree with you on this.I too am looking for a Dub Jones in a PSA 6 or better for months,NO LUCK.Vitaman Smith was also difficult however I found one in a 6 however the PSA 2 I have looks much better.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome cards guys! Regardless of the fact that I got "Out" and sold my cards I always will love the Vintage Football, this thread almost brought a dam tear to my eye remembering the fun I had with Ryan and all the rest of the guys showing off our new pick ups and talking Football cards, funny thing this last Thanksgiving I almost went with past tradition and bought myself a Football card. Needless to say I didnt for the reasons Ive told you about Ryan but I did check out Ebay and poked around checking them out, some great deals to be had in my opinion and a decent amount of inventory to boot.

Hope you guys keep posting sweet looking cards here to view, I certainly enjoy them!

Edit to add: I think the SGC card holders look much better than PSA slabs, the Green and black give it a more nostalgic Vintage look to it, however I Strongly believe that PSA slabbed cards will always have the edge for better resale value.. but thats just my 2 cents.
  • Classic thread back from the depths! Great to see you living up to your namesake Ryan!

Here is my kickoff to the Mayo set.

And a ticket stub from the game that made Red Grange famous, a preview of an upcoming article in Gridiron Greats about Grange image

I knew if I threw my "vintage football" line into the water, I would catch a Perkdog and a Publius...hook, line and sinker. It makes my heart happy to see Paul and Joe post on this thread! Just like the old days.

Joe, those are some awesome mayo's! I have never owned any. I have bid, but never won. So are you taking on the challenge of building the set? That is quite a challenge! That ticket is COOOOL! It would be great to make some type of framed display with that..maybe a signed card or photo of the Galloping Ghost with it.

Paul if your only contribution is having the Perkies on your sigline...that is fine with me! Glad to see you around these parts again.
  • I already have a complete Bob Waterfield set, but not up to the quality that I want. My previous 1951 Waterfield... well... sucked. I just got this one from 4SC. The price was about $25 less than other 7's I've seen in the past, and it looks ok. I guess I will get a better idea when it shows up in hand. But either way, it is a big improvement for that set.

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Here's one PSA 7 Cleveland Brown that I picked up over the summer. And also my Vitamin Smith. I'm working on a PSA 7 set, but this Vitamin was available cheap in an 8, so I grabbed it.

Sam

Bob Waterfield has some great looking cards! All the Bowman Rams cards look great actually.

I'm building the 51 Bowman set too and that Vitamin Smith was one of the tougher carrds to hunt down.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Waterfield?

I Love the Waterfield QB poses but the punting pose not so much, the 51 set is gorgeous, 2nd in my opinion to the 52 Set. The only issue with them is the large quantity that have gum/wax stains on the back.

PowderH20 best of luck with your new Waterfield upgrade, I hope you like it just as much in hand.

Ryan, you finish that 48 Bowman set yet?
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Here's the card that completed my 1935 National Chicle Set:

It's a little beat-up, but actually presents pretty nicely for a PSA 1. Now I just need to keep my eyes open for upgrades!
    In honor of my Father who passed away this morning. My Dad was All-City (Cleveland) in 1957. Went on to play at Colgate and played against Ernie Davis. Dad became a teacher and head football coach for almost 30 years. He was my hero as a kid and a major influence and mentor to me as I followed in his footsteps to become a teacher and coach. I "love this Vintage football" player!

• Awesome cards guys.

I've been wanting a Theismann rookie for years. I just grabbed this one.

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss Big Daddy...
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Big Daddy. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad 8 years ago and think of him every day of my life.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • I never respond to a thread without reading every post before mine. But I failed in this instance.

So, with due regret. I'd just like to add my condolences to Big Daddy.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. Im sure your following in your Dads footsteps brought joy to his heart.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Ryan, my sincere condolences for your loss. Im sure your father was a great man.

And what a great looking Football player I bet He was a menace on the field!

<< <i>Here's one PSA 7 Cleveland Brown that I picked up over the summer. And also my Vitamin Smith. I'm working on a PSA 7 set, but this Vitamin was available cheap in an 8, so I grabbed it.

Sam

image >>

GREAT LOOKING CARDS.

<< <i>In honor of my Father who passed away this morning. My Dad was All-City (Cleveland) in 1957. Went on to play at Colgate and played against Ernie Davis. Dad became a teacher and head football coach for almost 30 years. He was my hero as a kid and a major influence and mentor to me as I followed in his footsteps to become a teacher and coach. I "love this Vintage football" player!

image >>

Great Tribute!!!
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I am sorry for your loss image

That is a great photo of your dad!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Sorry for your loss..

Here are some Vintage football love..

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Big Daddy - I just saw your post. I feel you. I lost my father in February. Just a sudden heart attack from right out of nowhere. Only 65 years old. He bought me so many football cards when I was a kid. I still remember my dad bringing me a 1973 rack pack with Roger Staubach on the top and Archie Manning on the bottom. He had gone out of his way to find an Archie card for me (We lived in New Orleans). Sounds like your dad was a pretty great guy too.

OK. We haven't had any football cards posted for three weeks on this thread. That is just unacceptable!!! So, I just added another PSA 8 for my 1954 Bowman set. This puts me just short of 50% with all 8's (one 8.5 and one 9). I imagine it is going to start getting tough pretty soon, but in the meantime I will enjoy what I can get. Here's the latest, a nice Kyle Rote.

imageimage
  • Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice 51's are as good as they get as far as I am concerned.
    Hey guys..thanks for the kind words of condolensce. I havn't been on the boards much since my Dad passed. Christmas Eve wasn't the same without him..and I know today won't be either. I just picked up a few 53 Bowman. I used to always show Dad my new cardboard pick-ups and he would examine the card and then of course go on to tell me that he remembers having it as a kid, and flipping them against the wall. Whomever came closest to the wall without touching it won the cards. I may try this game with my some of my Bowmans today in his honor...NOT! LOL

This is my 2nd SGC 7 Jim Brown rookie I have picked up over the last month...its a sickness... it really is!
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I really like that example of a '58 Brown; it seems to have a much more natural color tint than most.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you would call a 68 vintage, but I picked this up for my Steeler set;

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple for my '56 set.

• AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Alos not vintage cards . . . but a vintage player.

From my recent custom card creations lovefest for Don Shula.

• Got to post football when I get them, here you go (love the cars in the background in this one)-