Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HUGE 2011 Bowman Chrome hit!!!....but.....

So I hit the 1/5 Matt Moore red refractor auto...yippeeee!! But...but....grrr....the card has a crease! AAAHHHHHHHH!!! image

So, anyone know how Topps is these days about replacing damaged cards? This exact card recently sold on Ebay for 1600 bucks...I cant believe I got a great hit and the FREAKING CARD IS CREASED!!!

Comments

• Options
    Very nice hit, I wish I could help you but i cant.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Great hit!

I have heard both good and bad stories about Topps replacements, so it is basically a crap shoot. I do wish you the best of luck, though.

Edited to say that they supposedly do replacements by replacing with something of "equal value," though how they arrive at that value is a mystery. I would make a point of pointing out to the customer service representative that the same exact card sold for $1600, and continuing to press that point until they understand.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    The press is always open to hearing stories of how a company screws a customer, customer complains to press, company way over compensates for the customer....

Just sayin'
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I would call Topps, and don't just speak with a normal customer service rep, demand a supervisor or manager to get proper compensation. If you just go through a normal customer service rep your replacement card is likely to be something worth way less.

I am assuming Topps requires you to ship them the damaged card before they replace it right?
  • Options
    Make sure to keep your wrappers, box upc and sale receipt. You will need to have those with the damaged card for replacement. All of the instructions can be found on the Topps website.

I can't really help with what the outcome will be. My only experience was sending in a Dez Bryant Finest #/25 non auto red refractor and getting a Dez Bryant Finest Auto/Dual Relic #/99 as a replacement, fairly even street value.
  • Options
    That's a great pull Barry.

I bet the crease wouldn't have too much effect on the auction value. Set collector's aren't the high bidders on them.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I would also insist on some compensation (i.e. another card in addition).

Even if they sent you another Moore Red, its value will have dropped 25% because you won't be able to list it for a couple of weeks.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys
    Maybe I will post it up for sale on ebay with an accurate description and see what kind of offers I get. In the meantime, I will give Topps a call on Monday and see what they do in such a situation especially when a high value dollar card has been pulled.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Barry, if you don't have an account over on freedomcardboard, I'd set one up and post over there. A great many folks over there are hardcore prospectors and would likely have some great advice for you.

edit: I see you do have an account there. Post up a thread.

edit #2: I see you already posted a thread. Think maybe I'll do just a bit more research before giving advice. image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd list it on ebay, properly describe the crease, and sleep well at night. The people dumb enough to spend $1600 on something like that, aren't smart enough to care what the condition is.
  • Options

<< <i>Barry, if you don't have an account over on freedomcardboard, I'd set one up and post over there. A great many folks over there are hardcore prospectors and would likely have some great advice for you.

edit: I see you do have an account there. Post up a thread.

edit #2: I see you already posted a thread. Think maybe I'll do just a bit more research before giving advice. image >>

LOL thanks Geordie

Actually, HOFMichael sent me a message and gave me a name of a FCB member who works for Topps and advised I PM him. So I did. I'll wait to see if he can help me out.
  • Options
    Well, I sent the card to Beckett for grading because I dont want anyone coming back to say that the card condition is not as described. I just got the results....a WHOPPING 3.5 grade LOL It's ok though, I still expect to get a nice return on it.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I sent the card to Beckett for grading because I dont want anyone coming back to say that the card condition is not as described. I just got the results....a WHOPPING 3.5 grade LOL It's ok though, I still expect to get a nice return on it. >>

Out of all the options to take, this is the one that gets the WTF from me. WTF why get this graded?
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I wouldn't have bothered grading it. I would take my chances sending it back. Just saying......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, I sent the card to Beckett for grading because I dont want anyone coming back to say that the card condition is not as described. I just got the results....a WHOPPING 3.5 grade LOL It's ok though, I still expect to get a nice return on it. >>

Out of all the options to take, this is the one that gets the WTF from me. WTF why get this graded? >>

Why? Because its a 1/5 of a big rookie. I got the grade so I am protected from the Aholes that would do a SNAD claim no matter how well I described it. There was one that sold for 1600.00. Even if I get 1/3 of that, I did it to protect my sale.
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't have bothered grading it. I would take my chances sending it back. Just saying...... >>

I posted on 4 different message boards with opinions and experiences with Topps replacements. Topps does not have a good history of replacements and there is no way they would give me what it was worth even in this condition. It's better to grade then try to get the cash than to have garbage replacements.