Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Answer The Questions and Receive a Few Coins. " Blackhawk Wins Persistance Pays Off"

Hello Folks:
    This is the First Time I have Done this so here Goes.
      The First Person to Answer the Questions I have will get a Assortment of Coins that I have just Laying Around. If you Do Not know Me All I collect is Mercury Dimes so the Questions are all Merc Related.
        1- The Designer was Who ?
          2- Two Design Modifacations were made in what Years after the Series went into Production ? Different Years for the Modifacations.
            3- Beginning in what Year was Part of the Original Design Missing ? From this year on through the End of the Series this is Present.
              4- This is Extra Credit. What Caused the Missing Part of the Design Mentioned in Question #3?
                The First Person to Answer the First Three Questions will Get the Coins. If He/She does Not get the Extra Credit question then the First to Answer After will Receive a ANACS MS64 1945 Micro S Merc.
                  Have FUN and Thank You.
                    Ken
                      PS: Please Answer Here.

Comments

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
                        The Mercury Dime
                        In 1916, sculptor Adolph A. Weinman produced a new design for the dime. Called the Liberty Head type at the time, the motif features Miss Liberty facing left, wearing a Phrygian cap with wings, LIBERTY encircling her head, and with IN GOD WE TRUST and the date below. The wings on the cap gave rise to the popular term "Mercury dime" for the winged messenger. However, Mercury was a male in mythology and had wings on his feet. Nevertheless, the name has stuck, and Mercury dimes are what collectors know them as today.
                        The reverse depicts a fasces or bundle of sticks with a blade at the top, against a branch in the background, and with UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DIME around the border. E PLURIBUS UNUM appears at the lower right.

The design was continued without change through 1945. Coinage was accomplished at the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints. Proofs were made at the Philadelphia Mint from 1936 through 1942.

This is all the info I can find on the Merc.......nothing mentions changes until the Roosie came out, when the obverse was changed(of course) and the fasces were removed because of feelings towards the fascists in Europe during WW2
                        imageimage

• hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
                        I have been searching too, and found the same info.

-Jarrett Roberts
                      • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                        Hi Guy's: Maybe It Was Not Considered a Design Change but a Modifaction. I will Go to the Original Post and Chage the Wording to Modifacation.
                          If No One Can Give Me Answers on these I will Give Some Hints Later. Also I will Show Examples at the End.
                            Ken
                          1. hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
                            There are also a number of rare or interesting varieties of Mercury dimes, including the following:

1. 1942 "2 over 1" Die Variety

In 1942, a few dies used in the prior year to strike 1941 dimes were re-punched with the date 1942. However, the number "1" in the date is still visible on coins struck from these dies and the number "4" in the date is doubled. This so-called 1942 "2 over 1" die dime variety is in great demand by collectors and has a relatively high numismatic value.

2. 1945-S Dime Variety

There are two sizes of "S" mint marks on the 1945-S Mercury dimes. There is a normal size mint mark and a smaller size mint mark that collectors refer to as a "micro S". The smaller mint mark is less common and has a greater numismatic value than the normal size mint mark.

This isn't it is it?

-Jarrett Roberts

2. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                            Jarrett:
                              No Those are Not them but You are on the Way To Giving Collectors a Lesson on Merc Dimes.
                                Keep Trying. If No One Comes up with Something I Will Give a Clue Tomorrow.
                                  Ken
                                1. BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
                                  1) Adolph A Weinman
                                  2) 1917,1918
                                  3) 1918
                                  4) Cut mark at upper front of wing, Relief revised, Working Die Hubbing
                                  "Have a nice day!"
                                  OK Blackhawk:
                                    You have 2 out of the 3 Correct.
                                      The #3 Question is a Little more Obscure and Tougher to Answer.
                                        I will Give this a Few more Hours and then Post a Clue.
                                          Ken
                                        1. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                          As Promised Here are the Dimes for You to Compare. The Differences are in the Wing Area Mostly on the Right Side Leading Edges and the Changes in Detail of the Feathers through the Middle.
                                            Hope the Picture is Big enough for You to See.
                                              Ken
                                              Is it the hair in front of her forehead thats missing? Due to die polishing? I'm stumped.
                                              "Have a nice day!"
                                              Blackhawk:
                                                The Far Right row of Feathers (The Big Ones) on the 16 Dime Look at the Bottom 3 and see how they Protrude Straight Back. Now Look at the 17 and 18 Dimes and See how they Come back and Sweep slightly Upward. That Upward Sweep is what was Changed in 1917. Minor But quite Visiable if You are Looking for it. In 1917 You Can Find Both the Style of 1916 and 1917.
                                                  Now Compare the 1917 and 1918 Dimes. What you want to look at is the Second Row of Feathers in from the Right Hand Side. See on the 17 how the Feathers have the Up Sweep and Not real Good Definition between them. Look at the 18 and the Same Feathers Come Straight Back and with Much Better Definition. From 1918 on that is how the Feathers will look on a Merc if the Strike is Strong.
                                                    These are VERY minor Changes but the Mint Deemed them Necessary. Sure Hope You Can See them now. I will see if I can Find a Better Example in My Stuff.
                                                      Ken
                                                      I see what you're talking about Ken. Once pointed out it's not hard to see, but I looked long and hard before your enlightenment and couldn't spot the difference in the feathers.

Bill
                                                      "Have a nice day!"
                                                      OK Guys and Gals:
                                                        From the Way I worded the #3 Question all You Have to Do is Give Me the First Two Answers and a Correct Guess on the Thrid Question. This Person Will Get the Coins !!!
                                                          Whoever Gives Me the Reason for Question #3 Gets the Slabbed Merc.
                                                            GUESS AWAY and Remember Your Post Must Have All 3 Correct Answers.image
                                                              One of the Coins will be a 1864 2 Cent Piece with about 90 Degree Rotation on the Reverse.
                                                                Ken
                                                                My guess for the reason is that the mint went to working die hubbing and all the dimes produced after the change came from one master hub.
                                                                "Have a nice day!"
                                                              2. BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
                                                                In 1928, the "9" in 19-- is closed. It remains so for the rest of the series.
                                                                "Have a nice day!"
                                                              3. man, im a young child myself, can I get em if noone guesses em right? =D next post will by my pathetic attempt, but seriously im a kid and dont have the money for any graded coins, let alone high grade mercs (one of my fav series, read in my few favorites thread) hehe
                                                              4. 1. Adolph A. Weinman
                                                                ugh the others im lost :-/ ill keep lookin tho
                                                              5. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                                                Blackhawk:
                                                                  You are on the Right Track. The Date You Gave is Wrong But the Change has Something to do with the Master Hub.
                                                                    It Cannot Be the Date as they are Punched in Each Year.
                                                                      Ken
                                                                      The hair detail over the ear changed after 1916?
                                                                      "Have a nice day!"
                                                                      Blackhawk:
                                                                        You Are Going to Know this Series Inside Out Before You are Done with this !!!
                                                                          OK. Big Clue Here. What I am Looking for Happened to the Reverse of the Coin. Its Hard to Spot if You Are Not Looking for It or if You Do Not Know What is Missing.
                                                                            Keep Trying the Coins will Be Worth Your Time I Believe.image
                                                                              Ken
                                                                              In 1916 the fields & devices were heavily textured? The relief was changed in 1917?
                                                                              "Have a nice day!"
                                                                              Blackhawk:
                                                                                You WIN the Assortment of Coins But Not the Slabbed One. Your Persitance has Amazed Me and Obviously You Have Been Researching the Mercury Series. My hope is that You Might Start Collecting them as they are a Beautiful Coin.
                                                                                  Attached is a Picture of the Reverse of a 1920 and 1937 Merc Dime. Notice Directly to the Right of the Middle Band where the Branches come under the Faces. On the 1920 there is Much More Detail and the Branches are Connected to the Faces. On the 1937 Dime the Branches are Lacking Detail and Are Not Connected. Beginning in 1926 the Detail of the Branches was Missing due to Some Damage to the Master Hub.
                                                                                    The Answer to Question #3 is 1926 and the Answer to the Extra Credit Question is "Damage to the Master Hub"
                                                                                      I will Give You One More Chance at the Slabbed Dime. Here's the Question. Is there any Such thing as a Rotated Reverse in the Mercury Series. If so Why ? If not Why ?
                                                                                        Think About this and Get Back to Me Tomorrow with Your Answer and Address so I may send Your Coins to You. Thanks for Playing.
                                                                                          Ken
                                                                                            image
                                                                                            Yes, there is a possibility of a rotated reverse on Mercury dimes. This happens when the bottom die moves or is moved in it's mounting device (Collet) on the press.
                                                                                            "Have a nice day!"
                                                                                            Blackhawk:
                                                                                              I Tricked You Again !! For Most Coins You are Correct but in the Mercury Dimes the Bottom Die is the Obverse with the Reverse being the Hammer Die. So this Actually Makes a Rotated Reverse Impossible. What Rotates on the Merc's is the Obverse. You Will Get the Slabbed Dime.
                                                                                                All of these Obscure Facts Can Be found in The Complete Guide To Mercury Dimes authored by David Lange which is a Must Have Book for Mercury Dime Collectors.
                                                                                                  Thanks for Playing. PM Me with Your Address and I Will Ship the Stuff to You.
                                                                                                    Thanks Much: Ken
                                                                                                    Ken,

Wow...Thanks alot for the coins. I received them today.

It was a great giveaway.

Bill
                                                                                                    -Blackhawk
                                                                                                    "Have a nice day!"
                                                                                                    Bill:
                                                                                                      You Are Welcome. Glad You Enjoyed the Give Away and the Coins You received.
                                                                                                        Will do it Again at a Later Date.
                                                                                                          Take Care: Ken