Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1981 SBA souvenir sets

$240.00 was the selling price tonight on ebay...image

seems like the same two guys are bidding these up,
but not from just one seller...go figure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-U-S-MINT-SUSAN-B-ANTHONY-P-D-S-SOUVENIR-SET-GREAT-OGP-OMP-LOWEST-MINTAGE-/250900698662?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3a6ad8d626
figglehorn

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!

These things are tough but they aren't that tough and there's no market at all.

There aren't enough for a proper promotion. It's hard to figure.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Linkified

Thats crazy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't give 3 bucks for them!
  • Options
    Might this be related to a recent discussion here regarding the possible recall of the SBA? Or, just two bidders getting carried away?
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options

<< <i>Linkified

Thats crazy. >>

• Options

<< <i>Linkified

Thats crazy. >>

Indeed. image
    Those are the type of sets that can be found in my local B&M dealer's junk boxes for $2-$4.
    I picked up a couple of 1983 "Souvenir" sets (P and D) for $3 each.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Thats crazy. >>

Indeed. image
    Those are the type of sets that can be found in my local B&M dealer's junk boxes for $2-$4. >>

Wholesale on the '81 3 pc set is around $15.

The '79 and '80 are extremely common but the '81 is low mintage.

<< <i>I picked up a couple of 1983 "Souvenir" sets (P and D) for $3 each. >>

This was either a long time ago or sold by someone out of the loop. The '83 sets willeasily bring
    $50 or more on eBay.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...would it be safe to say there are no type-2's amongst them?
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>...would it be safe to say there are no type-2's amongst them? >>

There are no varieties in any souvenir sets at all except about 2% of the '79 3 pc SBA sets contain the near dates. The type 2 mint marks appear only on proofs.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Might this be related to a recent discussion here regarding the possible recall of the SBA? Or, just two bidders getting carried away? >>

Carried Away?

How about bidding insanity??

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Linkified

Thats crazy. >>

Indeed. image
    Those are the type of sets that can be found in my local B&M dealer's junk boxes for $2-$4.
    I picked up a couple of 1983 "Souvenir" sets (P and D) for $3 each. >>

While the 1979 and 1980 SBA Sets are quite common, 1981 is a little bit more difficult in that the coins were NOT released to the public but were only available in US Mint Sets or Souvenir Sets. However, I think that the $240 mark is a wee bit over the top. More then likely, the high bidder and underbidder are assempling a collection of souvenir sets by year for whatever reasons.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dueling OCD?*

It happens with coin collectors.

*Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap! I sold some of these sets a few years ago and they didn't bring diddly squat.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

This was either a long time ago or sold by someone out of the loop. The '83 sets will easily bring $50 or more on eBay. >>

This purchase was made within the last year or so at my local B&M.
    He does a huge bullion business and doesn't bother with modern stuff but he's far from being "out of the loop".
    I search his "junk" boxes every time I'm there and have mined some really good stuff, like some brown box 71 & 72 Ikes for $4 each - this was before silver went crazy but even at the time they were about $8.50 in melt.
    He also had silver proof dimes from the 60s for $1 each at that same time - I cleaned him out on those.
    He still has a small valise filled with wheaties priced 10 for a buck - on rainy days I've gone thru them and picked out some early dates.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got 3 of the 1981 sets. Maybe I should stick one on eBay and see what happens.

• Options
    I don't know, considering the same two bidders bidding beyond $44 makes it look suspicious.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    $425 this is utter insanity...image
    figglehorn
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know, considering the same two bidders bidding beyond $44 makes it look suspicious. >>

Does not seem suspicious to me.
    Two bidders got auction fever and it got out of control.
    Happens every day on eBay.
    I note the seller has a 7 day return policy.
    Odd are he will get those coins back when the winner comes to his senses.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This was either a long time ago or sold by someone out of the loop. The '83 sets will easily bring $50 or more on eBay. >>

He does a huge bullion business and doesn't bother with modern stuff but he's far from being "out of the loop".
    >>

The fact remains though that he left a great deal of money on the table. '83 souvenir sets
    have brought as much as about $125 on eBay and even the corner shop can easily get $25.
    There's a lot of walk in traffic now days seeking clad unlike ten or twelve years ago and '83
    issues are on everyone's list.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

The fact remains though that he left a great deal of money on the table. '83 souvenir sets
    have brought as much as about $125 on eBay and even the corner shop can easily get $25.
    There's a lot of walk in traffic now days seeking clad unlike ten or twelve years ago and '83
    issues are on everyone's list. >>

I knew as soon as I saw the sets in the junk box that it was my lucky day! image
    Yes, he left money on the table, that was never in question.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew there was a reason I don't collect SBA's.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    I still say too much money.

• Options

<< <i>I still say too much money. >>

Way too much IMO. Seriously too much since the very day this thread posted, I bid on and purchased one of these for $48.

Maybe I could sell it to ABONCOM for $100 since he seems to be able to pull in $200 bids on his? image

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file