Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grades in....(lots of images)

Got a submission back a couple of weeks ago but have only just got around to imaging and cataloguing them. Hope you find them interesting.

MS65BN
MS63 (this is the cupro nickel coin of 1908)
MS64. I sent 5 of these in hoping for a MS66 but got 5 MS65's.
MS66
MS67RD. $2 coin but too pretty not to get graded.
MS64. It's just starting to show up the signs of a dip which I didn't notice when I bought it.
MS65. Tonnes of die polish, lovely coin and probably my favourite of this lot.
PL66
PL65
PL66
PL66
PR64 - lots of colour that doesn't show up in the image.
MS64
MS65 - nice copper nickel toning
MS64 - undergraded in my opinion.
PR64BN - over graded in my opinion.
Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I like the toning on the maundys. Sometimes they tone pretty ugly.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the last one is overgraded, but you dazzled them with your submission and they gave you a freebie.
    MS67RD for the bronze $2 penny? Put it on ebay, and see what it's worth now.

Excellent grades, congrats.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Maundy Set. I really like the look of the 1951 1d, brown but with a touch of red. Nice images also.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn you have a good eye. I like the BWA pieces!
  • Options
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Great photos, too.
  • Options
    beautiful coins - you have a really good eye!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Great coins, congrats!! The Maundys are wonderful and your Kiwi coins are exceptional!!
  • Options
    I love the images image but I have a question.

Why are most of them, but not all, in edge view slabs?

Did you ask for them?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the images image but I have a question.

Why are most of them, but not all, in edge view slabs?

Did you ask for them? >>

No, they came that way. The very small and very large coins seem to come in the old style holders, everything in between is coming in the edgeview holders. Been that was for my last few submissions.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you send them to PCGS Paris, or PCGS CA.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>No, they came that way. The very small and very large coins seem to come in the old style holders, everything in between is coming in the edge view holders. Been that was for my last few submissions. >>

What if I absolutely can't stand the edge view slabs due to how they screw up the picture I take? Does anyone know if I can specifically request my coins not come in edge view holders?
  • Options

<< <i>Did you send them to PCGS Paris, or PCGS CA. >>

California. I had no idea you could send them direct to Paris? I was under the impression anything sent to California could be graded in Paris and you wouldn't even know.
  • Options

<< <i>Great coins, congrats!! The Maundys are wonderful and your Kiwi coins are exceptional!! >>

Thanks. I'm just starting to get into NZ coins and enjoying looking for them. They are exceptionally undervalued for such low mintages and the copper nickel pre-decimals can be incredibly attractive.
  • Options
    I agree, the Pre-decimals are the best. I used to have a full set (bar the 1935 Waitangi crown) but sold them years ago. I have just started a set of 1/2 pennys after I picked this beauty up (MS65 RD)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 'Roo, nice holey Africans, nice Maundies... hey, wow, they're all nice.

I guess I like the Maundy 2d and 3d and the proof shilling the most.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree, the Pre-decimals are the best. I used to have a full set (bar the 1935 Waitangi crown) but sold them years ago. I have just started a set of 1/2 pennys after I picked this beauty up (MS65 RD) >>

That's a nice one. I've not seen many full red NZ coins that I actually like yet.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I really like the BWA coins. Nice submission.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you send them to PCGS Paris, or PCGS CA. >>

California. I had no idea you could send them direct to Paris? I was under the impression anything sent to California could be graded in Paris and you wouldn't even know. >>

Oh trust me, that when the graders fly to Paris about once a month, they have such a big number of coins to grade that the last thing they'd do is bring homework with them. In fact, they have already hired a permanent European grader, and they're looking to educate more in ANA's Colorado grading and advanced grading courses in order to minimize the presence and trips of US graders. You can only submit to Paris through an authorized dealer in Europe.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. I'm just starting to get into NZ coins and enjoying looking for them. They are exceptionally undervalued for such low mintages and the copper nickel pre-decimals can be incredibly attractive. >>

Agreed. I'm in the process of selling off my duplicates right now and am getting many multiples of what I paid 5 years ago. Not many investment vehicles available right now where you can get 50% annual ROI.

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I love the 1951 penny, and you did a marvelous job imaging all of them. image