Home Sports Talk

Is there such thing as a "big game pitcher" ?

Curt Schilling and Dave Stewart come to mind as guys who had incredible success when it counted the most, but both
of them were pretty good pitchers anyway. Jim Catfish Hunter had great playoff stats, but his regular season stats were
good too.

However, part of me thinks Curt Schilling was "exceptional" in the playoffs, better then he was in the regular season.
Perhaps we can throw Dave Stewart into that mix as well ?

Just wondering what you guys think. Did these guys "elevate" their game ?

Comments

• I would like to think so, but a lot of these pitchers have such a small number of postseason games that it is impossible to make a fair judgment. Schilling certainly has a superb postseason record, but again, we are talking about a relatively small sample. I'm sure Saberman has some opinion on this.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • John Smoltz
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Bob Gibson and Cliff Lee? I agree with Schilling too. Schilling seemed to concentrate better in playoffs to the point of not making mistakes.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>How about Bob Gibson and Cliff Lee? I agree with Schilling too. Schilling seemed to concentrate better in playoffs to the point of not making mistakes. >>

I think it tends to be more of a case of other players shrinking under pressure. The ones who can stay consistently good, even under the bright lights, get the label of "clutch' or "a big game player"
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't Koufax's ERA in like 10 WS starts something like 1.00 ?
    I always thought David Cone was tough too. David Wells?
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Koufax's ERA in like 10 WS starts something like 1.00 ? >>

8 appearances, 7 starts, 0.95 ERA.

Still had just a 4-3 record (!)

Tabe
    Smoltz was 15-4 in the playoffs but just 2-2 in the World Series. He averaged just over 6 innings per start in the World Series (51 IP in 8 starts), compiling a 2.47 ERA.

Tabe
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about Bob Gibson and Cliff Lee? I agree with Schilling too. Schilling seemed to concentrate better in playoffs to the point of not making mistakes. >>

Personally I think Cliff Lee is a good pitcher although overrated by the East Coast writers. Last year in the postseason and before the first game of the World Series it seemed like every writer had a giant man-crush on him and were calling wins hours before he took the mound. That was before he got lit up like Times Square in game 1 and went 0-2 in the series.

How about Matt Cain? Three starts in the postseason last year with a 0.00 ERA and no unearned runs.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Personally I think Cliff Lee is a good pitcher although overrated by the East Coast writers. Last year in the postseason and before the first game of the World Series it seemed like every writer had a giant man-crush on him and were calling wins hours before he took the mound. That was before he got lit up like Times Square in game 1 and went 0-2 in the series. >>

I'm thinking the guy is allowed 1 stinker every 10 postseason starts. Even with that 1 start, he's got a career 2.13 in the postseason. He can pitch for me anytime.

Tabe
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I know you guys have discussed only starters, but Mariano Rivera has to be put in the mix.

94 games
    139.2 innings
    8-1 record
    42 saves
    0.71 ERA

EDITED TO ADD: The above are his post-season numbers
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    @WTCG you know i'm a Giants fan but Cain had just one series under his belt

Mariano Rivera!!!
    thank you Dboneesq

the "Bulldog" would rank in my top 5

<< <i>I know you guys have discussed only starters, but Mariano Rivera has to be put in the mix.

94 games
    139.2 innings
    8-1 record
    42 saves
    0.71 ERA

EDITED TO ADD: The above are his post-season numbers >>

I don't agree. Pitching an inning, maybe 2, just doesn't count.

Tabe
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    maybe, but he did what he was supposed to do almost 100% of the time when it counted.

you need a horse to get the opportunity for a save, though so good point.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When discussing a list of big game pitchers, taking 15 posts to finally see the name Jack Morris is 14 posts too far.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After last night, you have to add Chris Carpenter to this list. He has done it before, but none bigger than last night. He was dominant.

Shane

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    4-0 in the postseason with a 1.67 ERA

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wasn't Koufax's ERA in like 10 WS starts something like 1.00 ? >>

8 appearances, 7 starts, 0.95 ERA.

Still had just a 4-3 record (!) >>

Sounds like Matt Cain.