Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just picked up a 1951 Cameo Proof Quarter that is the "Tumor" variety.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have read about this variety in Rick Tomaska's 1991 book on Cameo Proof and SMS coins. I have never seen one of these coins until I found this one.

The quarter is very nice. It has no hairlines or marks. It has two sided frost on the devices and nicely mirrored fields. The "Tumor" consists of two die polishing marks located above Washington's eye brow and on his temple. These two areas are also fully frosted up.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with this variety? Is it more valuable than its non tumored cameo brothers?

To me it is similar to the 1967 SMS Cameo Dot Head Half with die polishing mark on Kennedy's temple.

The 1951 quarter was contained in a Capital Holder of 1950-1964 proof quarters (it has been switched out into my best 1951 proof set as an upgrade coin). All of the 15 quarters in the set are hairline and mark free. They all have nicely mirrored fields and frost on the devices. The 1951, 1953, 1959, 1962 and 1963 are lock Cameos. The others may not have enough two sided frost to get a Cameo designation, but they do have a Cameo look. The 1952 is not a Superbird. The 1950 has deep mirrored fields, very nice obverse contrast and weak reverse contrast. The 1953 has deep mirrored fields and two sided thick frost.

Whoever put this set together was very picky and meticulus. I was lucky to find it at a local B&M shop. I bought it primarily for the 1951 and 1953 quarters, though I like all of the coins in the set. Under optimal lighting the quarters in the set just pop out at you.

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it look like this? (Linked from CoinFacts)

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new quarter looks exactly like the one in the coinfacts photo.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    post larger pics! Not seeing it
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
    You mean larger like THIS?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with this variety? Is it more valuable than its non tumored cameo brothers?

to my way of thinking it is an insignificant variety that may possibly be hyped to a specific market segment to drive up its price. any value in the coin is mainly a factor of the overall grade and it may be one of those varieties which tends only to exist closely resembling the picture linked by Modcrewman(perhaps the die(s) were retired shortly thereafter).
    Keets has good insight.

I searched prior threads on the forums for this variety and there is not a single thread on the topic (other than this one). The only place I have found any information on this coin is the Tomaska Book (though Coinfacts obviously covers it). I have only seen one such coin, the one I picked up. My interest in the coin stems not from the "Tumor" on Washington's head, but the fact that it is a high grade black and white Cameo proof. The presence of the "Tumor" is merely an extra point of conversation.

Funny though how the Dot Head 1967 SMS Half has been given more publicity.
    Actually, Coin Facts doesn't address the die either, I just went and looked at the TrueView's and sure enough there was one there.
  • 1951 - 1952 quarters are interesting in another aspect. Besides the normal looking quarters of the era, there were in addition a variant for 1951-1952 (alongside the normal 1951-1952). All 1951 proofs seem to be the variant. Pickup points in IN GOD WE TRUST are a dimple in the crossbar of of N (usually polished off on proofs); A small bite out of R to accomate the cross bar of T; center vertex of W is higher and IGWT shows doubling (again apt to be polished off on proofs).
    ProofArtworkonCircs.

The new pick up of mine has the three pickup points in IGWT that you mention (dimple on the cross bar of the N; bite out of the R to accomodate the cross bar of the T; and center vertex of the W being higher). No doubling of IGWT is present.

I also looked at two other 1951 proof quarters and they also have the same three pickup points. No doubling of IGWT is present.
  • The doubling, if visible, is most apt to show up on the underside of G in IGWT. It could be on the underside of other letters in IGWT.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You mean larger like [L=THIS?] >>

Nope, larger like this ;-)
    Images this large are best viewed on very large screens, 50-60" so you can see the whole image.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

ProofArtworkonCircs:

I went back and looked again at all three quarters I looked at previously. When I look at IGWT at a severe angle (tilting the coin from vertical towards horizontal so that I am looking at IGWT from the bottom of the coin), I can just barely make out what appears to be minor doubling at the base of the G in God and the base of the U and of the S in Trust. At first I thought it was machine doubling, but then I noticed a split serif at the bottom corner of the lower terminus of the S. If you look at the coins straight on the doubling is not apparent.

Thanks for the information and your sharp eye.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a True View of my only cameo tumor variety. I have never paid a premium for one - in fact I usually argue that the price should be lower due to all the die polish! Sometimes the dealers buy it, sometimes they don't.

PCGS Pr 66 cameo - can anyone tell me if this is the one shown on Coin Facts?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ProofArtworkonCircs:

I went back and looked again at all three quarters I looked at previously. When I look at IGWT at a severe angle (tilting the coin from vertical towards horizontal so that I am looking at IGWT from the bottom of the coin), I can just barely make out what appears to be minor doubling at the base of the G in God and the base of the U and of the S in Trust. At first I thought it was machine doubling, but then I noticed a split serif at the bottom corner of the lower terminus of the S. If you look at the coins straight on the doubling is not apparent.

Thanks for the information and your sharp eye. >>

Look at the bottom of the 9.

Motto

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a True View of my only cameo tumor variety. I have never paid a premium for one - in fact I usually argue that the price should be lower due to all the die polish! Sometimes the dealers buy it, sometimes they don't.

PCGS Pr 66 cameo - can anyone tell me if this is the one shown on Coin Facts?

image >>

It is in fact the one on the Coin Facts page.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. As much as I like die varieties, I would prefer a 1951 cameo proof without this anomaly. Proofs, to me, are supposed to be perfect examples of the coin, and that perfection is compromised by all the distracting die polishing or touch-up. I feel the same way about the 1941 "No AW" Walking Lib 50c. I'd rather have one struck from non-trashed dies.
  • The tumor variety is one of the best cameo dies, if not the best for the date. That's why you find so many of them out there.
  • <<ProofArtworkonCircs:

Thanks for the information and your sharp eye. >>

You are quite welcome to the information, but the sharp eye belongs to the late great Bill Edwards who first noticed this variety in 1968 on a 1952 quarter. I think his descriptions were published in Collectors' Clearinghouse, Coin World. He was going to write a second piece on how and why it occured, but I am not aware that he ever did. After wondering for years on what happened, inspiration struck me one day and I think I have the answer. There is a some what similiar case involving the 1971-1973 Kennedy halves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file