Home U.S. Coin Forum

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's CHICAGO ANA Show Report w/lots of Pics!

2»

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am home and I am whipped. Had a great show and now the work starts!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a tough but great show to do as a collector. This show was the biggest I have ever seen in 40 years of prowling the floor. Adding the fact that the show was steadily busy all four days I was there made this show a tough one to complete.

I did get to see the exhibits but frankly even doing this show for 4 days from Wednesday through Saturday, I only got to 90% of all of the tables.

I also spent quite a bit of time at the StacksBowers auctions winning three gold lots as well as 13 California fractional gold lots.

I was so busy, I never got to even leave the convention center or my hotel in four days!

Charmy was also so busy that when I had the rare chance to sit with her and have my picture taken she was 3 and 4 deep with customers or visitors. But she did try, but it was so hectic.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes - all duded up - >>

It's all about the image....

Anyway, I had a reasonable show. Not as good as I had hoped it to be but maybe I had set my expectations too high. I am a little bit worried if the show is going to be here for 3 years in a row though...I am not in favor of it.

Great show report Charmy, and for once, I'm glad I'm not in itimage Lol

Dennis
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, wish I could do what I love, hate my job.
    Wait a minute, I'm unemployeed. Thanks for taking the time
    to post this image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great report. Chicago is a beautiful city and my brother (the principal reason for my visit/see my new nephew - I figured I'd time it for the show, too) simply adores Chicago.

As you found, the blues scene is exceptional.

It was very nice to meet you.

My Whitman blue book looks SO much better with the eight additional Indians you provided!

My favorite display (and the one I voted for) were the coin savings books from the various Chicago banks - such ephemeral material, and some were very artful.
  • what an awesome time!!! I am so glad that I got to meet you all!

Thanks to Matt for the time, knowledge and patience. It will be well invested.

Great report (as always) Charmy!!!

... that's funny, the forum reset my post total because I hadn't posted in so long!!! Oh, well, start from scratch, I guess. LOL
    When you see a man atop a mountain, remember that he wasn't just dropped there.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Just arrived home and later on I'll post my pic's as well.

Had a great time - and although I never have been to
    Chicago before, I look forward to the next show there
    so I can do more sight seeing.

Thanks Charmy, I love my newps I bought from you !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last Day (Saturday):

Here are a few last photos of more folks I ran into at the show...

Larry Shapiro/PQPeace

Wayne Herndon

Garrett and Michelle Burke (Garrett designed the California State quarter) and they have a new book out called "Quarterama: Ideas & Designs of America's State Quarters")

And here I am at the airport having my usual pre-flight beverage (a very tasty "Top Shelf" margarita at Chilies) while I wait for my flight. image

Although we had to wait on the tarmack for 40 minutes waiting for our flight to depart, I didn't mind so much when I heard that American Airlines was actually holding the plane for people who arrived late from connecting flights that were delayed due to poor weather. I know I'd appreciate that extra courtesy since I've had connecting flights delayed and had to sprint over to the next flight before it took off without me.

Yesterday was a long day, but I'm so glad to be home relaxing, before I begin catching up on emails, phone calls, coin orders, sorting and organizing new purchases, expense reports, updating inventory, etc. most of which I will put off until tomorrow!

As I have already mentioned, I believe this was one of the most successful shows I've been participated in, both buying and selling. And it certainly was my most steadily busiest show. I understand gold and silver were the hot commodities at the show, but I can attest that pennies are also quite popular! I sold more pennies at this show than any other show. As usual, raw XF and AU coins were the most popular sellers, and I ran out of most of the better date coins in these grades. But I also bought a ton of new material.

And I think Todd also had a great show. At one point towards the end of the show, Todd said he had taken over 4,000 photos of coins! But now he has to begin making all the edits (putting the images of the front, back and label in one photo). He has about 75 to do just for me!

As I also mentioned, getting to meet and chat with all the forum members who stopped by our table was the best part of the show. You are always so kind and Todd and I both appreciate your taking the time to say hi, do some business with us, as well as allowing me to "exploit" your images on the forum!

Now I have a busy week ahead, and another show this coming weekend, but then we're off to spend a few days relaxing and boating in Lake Havasu - yippeeeeee! After such an exhausting week, here is what I will be thinking about for the next couple weeks....

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice, chronologically presented report, Charmy. The photos really add a lot to your reports also. Thank you for taking the time to assemble and present them. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • ..now don't get me wrong : Larry Shapiro is a very handsome man , a giant in the industry and a hellova nice guy ..............

but do we really need TWO pix of him in your post ? image

<< <i>..now don't get me wrong : Larry Shapiro is a very handsome man , a giant in the industry and a hellova nice guy ..............

but do we really need TWO pix of him in your post ? image >>

Ha! How funny, I forgot I had already posted his pic (I plead tired brain syndrome!) - well, that's ok, Larry certainly deserves a 2-fer!
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Have not been around much but looks like a great time by all. Always love your reports :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭
    Charmy,

It was a pleasure to meet you at the show (and I am again truly sorry for interrupting your interview while I stopped by your table!). I love reading your show reports!
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Those are Fiat 500's not P.T. Cruisers. Nice pics!
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That wasn't me. Must'a been my twin brother! Odd, I do remember attending image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Never give a "senior citizen" image a new toy just before a convention
    and expect him to know how to transfer images from the new iPhone G4
    to a lap top - also new - to Photobucket - to be posted here.

Charmy - these are all the images I was able to download...image

Rick & Charmy at the ANA Dinner at the Shedd Aquarium:

Rick Snow and [ sorry - I didn't get his name beside Rick... my bad...]

Joe Wojteczko- JMW - {Barber Dime Set Collector - Everyman's # 1 Set } [ red shirt ]

The Beluga White Whales at the Shedd

Chicago Skyline at Dusk from the Shedd Aquarium:

My poor image taking skills are too evident... Me, Joe W, and PonyExpress8 [ Glenn Holsonbake ] - at the Shedd Aqaurium:

First Night in Chicago - what do you have for dinner ? PonyExpress8 and I ate here... Jiradellos [ I know its mispelled - sorry ]

CSO Concert in an open air area near the lakefront - PonyExpress8, Blu62Vette, Dennis88 and I attended:

Last but not least - a picture I know Blu62Vette was hoping I'd post... our own Dennis88 - the last night of the show...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, great photos - thanks for adding them to the thread - especially the one with Dennis and his "dapper" hat! And your photo of the pizza should be in a tv commercial cause it's making my mouth water for some gooey pizza right now!
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,
    I don't know how you do it..
    I am either at my table,searching for coins..lot viewing,going to the auctions..planning my bids...calling back customers..
    I have no time to go have fun image

Great job..
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17