Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

S-79 1795 Reeded Edge Large Cent (good info, not all images)

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2023 2:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Anybody out there have some more images for examination?

Here are the 4 I've found thus far in my short 2.5 years in numismatics.

****THE UPDATED IMAGE UPLOADED TO A MORE RECENT POST BY ME******

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    Please don't over-complicate this. slow down and read the details, a lot can be learned by taking some extra time

i am looking for more images

Since these are all the same variety the rarity is the same: S-79 as the title states

There are 8 known from what pcgs coin facts and possibly my CQR state and I am looking for the other 4 images or possibly more according to speculation

the only responses I am looking for are either images or links to images for the other ones I don't have

a lot of people will be interested in this I am quite sure

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Yes they are rare!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd sure like to see pictures of the edges!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few more for you.

This first is the one that appeared in the Robinson Brown II sale of 1996 (and also the Brown I sale of 1986, Jack Robinson, G Lee Kuntz, and JR Frankenfeld, and others (52 ANA?). I think it is coin #3 of your list at the bottom.

This second coin is the holed brockage, coin #7 or "X". On the small chance I can ever afford an S-79, this is the one I want. The scan is from the 1952 ANA sale by New Netherlands et al.

This third coin is the ANS coin. This should be #2 on the list.

imageimage
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Your post is confusing. Are yours on the list that you provided? Whose list is it, and what does the list represent? How rare are these, ie what R#, how many are known? Breene isn't a very reliable source imho so who else has supplied known numbers for these? In sumation what are you trying to show, I am very interested but I feel like I am coming into the conversation at the end of the thread and must have missed something even though it is the beginning of the thread?
    Thanks, can't wait to read your response, ihave a feeling this will be a fascinating thread but right now i am lost and don't want to assume anything. Just need the facts.image >>

I was lost too! image I thought he owned the 4 pictured and was looking for other images to compare his 4 with those images... maybe we're the two dumb ones on this forum! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>

<< <i>Your post is confusing. Are yours on the list that you provided? Whose list is it, and what does the list represent? How rare are these, ie what R#, how many are known? Breene isn't a very reliable source imho so who else has supplied known numbers for these? In sumation what are you trying to show, I am very interested but I feel like I am coming into the conversation at the end of the thread and must have missed something even though it is the beginning of the thread?
    Thanks, can't wait to read your response, ihave a feeling this will be a fascinating thread but right now i am lost and don't want to assume anything. Just need the facts.image >>

I was lost too! image I thought he owned the 4 pictured and was looking for other images to compare his 4 with those images... maybe we're the two dumb ones on this forum! image >>

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Noyes have a book out with all the 1795s (color images) now? I would guess all the S-79s are in there.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Please don't over-complicate this. slow down and read the details, a lot can be learned by taking some extra time

i am looking for more images

Since these are all the same variety the rarity is the same: S-79 as the title states

There are 8 known from what pcgs coin facts and possibly my CQR state and I am looking for the other 4 images or possibly more according to speculation

the only responses I am looking for are either images or links to images for the other ones I don't have

a lot of people will be interested in this I am quite sure >>

I am further confused by your odd response. Are they your coins that for all pracitcal matters it appeared that you were presenting seemed ot be or not for one? >>

There are 8 known... he's found images for 4 of the 8 and is looking for images of the 4 (or more). He hasn't disclosed if he owns an S-79.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Now, you can all call me 'NotSure' for a reason....in no way am I sure what the 'h-e-double hockey sticks' is going on in this thread.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd sure like to see pictures of the edges! >>

Guessing you have already seen this, but for those that haven't, here is what may be one of the better color pics showing the reeding.

It is the same coin that Aegis3 posted as the 1st picture and comes from the back cover of Superior's Robinson Brown II sale of 1996. Only 5 listed as known then. It brought $88,000, the highest price in the sale.

Between those pics in the original post and by Aegis3 that may be all the ones that are definitely known. Now see if pics of the edges can be found.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops wrong date. image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Thank you "Aegis3" and "WinLoseWin"

It is obvious I don't own the 4 coins simply because anyone that knows about EAC knows those are 4 Sheldon-79 coins. No hard feelings or ill intentions intended on my part.

"""Anybody out there have some more images for examination?"""" seems clear to me anyway, but i never claim to be sane!

This is meant to be a serious inquiry for an extremely rare and valuable type coin(s) and posting just to post something when you don't know what is going on only confuses matters.

Anyone willing to remove their post that hasn't contributed is more than welcome to do so.

Back on track.

Yes I am quite simply looking to obtain images for all of the 8? known 1795 Reeded Edge Large Cents for my own study and not for further sharing or use or ill intent. I am 33 this year and would like it by the time I am 40 to have a massive database for the coins I have strong interest in.

EAC Member 5880

• Options
    I am astonished at the ANS coin. I had no idea there was such a fine example for the S-79.

Seeing that coin changes the entire ball game for me.
    Well it seems I have 7/8 so far if in fact all the 7 I have are images of S-79s. Will verify that later. But looks to be on track.
    Anyone left out there that can bring this thread to completion?

• Options
    I will post an updated image with all the ones I have imaged thus far with any information regarding catalog reference and edge pictures that are available.

Should be quite entertaining and educational.

• Options

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good post on a very interesting variety. This variety was missing from a number of very significant collections.
    I'm guessing that one of those now shown as 'image removed' was the Sheldon-Dan Holmes VG coin. Anything else I have
    appears to be mentioned elsewhere. Edited to add - oops - looks like you were posting the new pics as I was typing my post!

<< <i>posting just to post something when you don't know what is going on only confuses matters.
    Anyone willing to remove their post that hasn't contributed is more than welcome to do so. >>

Bravo - Of course, if this becomes standard across the forum, some of the member post counts will drop by the thousands.
    Look at them as free 'bumps' to keep your thread on the first page.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    i am officially bumping this thread for those that have not yet had the pleasure

• Options

@Aegis3 said:
    Here are a few more for you.

This first is the one that appeared in the Robinson Brown II sale of 1996 (and also the Brown I sale of 1986, Jack Robinson, G Lee Kuntz, and JR Frankenfeld, and others (52 ANA?). I think it is coin #3 of your list at the bottom.

This second coin is the holed brockage, coin #7 or "X". On the small chance I can ever afford an S-79, this is the one I want. The scan is from the 1952 ANA sale by New Netherlands et al.

This third coin is the ANS coin. This should be #2 on the list.

do you have access to an better image of the brockage coin?

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Well, we all do! Thanks to the NNP, these are apparently all of its auction appearences:

New Netherlands, 1952 ANA

Superior, Ruby I 1974

Kagin's 1974

Links are to the plated; lot descriptions and prices ca be found by looking at the lot numbers.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there were 11 known

• Options
    edited January 23, 2023 6:09AM

@Aegis3 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Well, we all do! Thanks to the NNP, these are apparently all of its auction appearences:

New Netherlands, 1952 ANA

Superior, Ruby I 1974

Kagin's 1974

Links are to the plated; lot descriptions and prices ca be found by looking at the lot numbers.

i had a good feeling you were the right person to ask!

ty SO much for those wonderful links.

not only did i get some nice images, there is fantastic residual information. ;)

:+1:

• Options
    edited January 25, 2023 2:51PM

i kinda did some diggin' around and stumbled on this F A N T A S T I C image of the coin WITH the full edge.

image courtesy of Coin World web page: (i think the original images are from heritage per this listing)

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/1795-reeded-edge-cent-surfaces-after-50-years-in-hiding.html

• Options

@GoBust said:
    I thought there were 11 known

that is the last tally i am aware of but i haven't checked in a while. i'm PRETTY sure i have an image floating around here with either 10 or 11 examples. i'd have to go a diggin' to confirm.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file