Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln guys, is this 1909 S VDB authentic?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
This coin was found with a metal detector. With the owner's permission, I'm asking for your opinions on this coin (regarding authenticity, not environmental damage). Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Options
    Really tough for my eye to tell. The S needs to have serifs that I believe need to be parallel, not even sure if you'd be able to see them in that condition. Also, I believe that the middle cross in the B is fairly slanted, at least compared to the 1909 vdb. The "S" looks to be in the right place though. I'm willing to bet there is someone here who can be more accurate than I can but I'd say this looks pretty good if the slant and serifs check out.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I say authentic. (I'm not a lincoln guy though! image)
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I was using a metal detector (I really ought to dig it out again one of these days), that's exactly the look that I would get on other 1909-era cents. I vote real -- it seems extremely unlikely that someone would have counterfeited a 1909-S VDB in the 1909 era, or that someone would manage to fake the look now of a 100-year-buried piece.

I assume it was found on the west coast?

Heck of a find!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    True, what are the odds of digging up a counterfeit 1909-S V.D.B.

However, I'm still questioning the vertical nature of the D & B
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shes a good one
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is authentic. Kinda rough but real.
    Lance.pi
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Yep, it's a Lincoln... spend it! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes. the periods on the V.D.B. are in the correct positions.

nice find. What state was it found in, west coast?
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Send it to NCS and get it conserved. Might be able to make it a bit more eye appealing, and authenticated.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than the environmental damage there appears to be very little circulation wear, very nice if genuine.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Metal detector dream find. I would have S#$# myself.
  • Options
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweet find

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The S looks like it's too far to the right. ??
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Looks legit from here!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote real---Well worth a "genuine" slab. Bob
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is authentic, and in remarkable condition for a dug coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe it is authentic, and in remarkable condition for a dug coin >>

It looks like most of the Lincolns I have found - I'm in SoCal. Assuming it was found on the west coast - we don't get a lot of rain in most of the state. And in most places, the soil isn't exactly what you might call "loamy". I have found silver that likely looked as good as the day it was dropped.

What a find, though! I, too, would have had to change my pants had it been me!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the D in V.D.B. correct?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a 09 S lincoln and 08 S Indian while living in Monterey, CA. They had simmilar patina to this.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    I like the "S"..........VDB looks good...........I'd say somebody got lucky...image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    By the picture it looks good but hard to tell. Any chance of posting larger pics?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file