Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof Seated Quarter Error

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
Not my auction - I like it, not for the money but I do like it.

Proof Seated Quarter

So what are your thoughts? If you collect errors, does this have appeal to you? If you dont collect errors, does the error negatively impact this coin?

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certain there is a niche market for this coin and I am just as certain that I do not occupy space in that niche market.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm certain there is a niche market for this coin and I am just as certain that I do not occupy space in that niche market. >>

I've been camped out in that niche market for decades, and I find the coin extraordinarily appealing. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the coin even if you let me move the decimal point one space.

I actually feel like I've seen it before, possibly in David Lawrence's inventory years ago, possibly in another holder, and that it didn't have the cameo designation. Coins like clipped proof Seated quarters tent to lodge themselves in my memory, and I doubt there are a lot of these to confuse.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, wow.
  • Crappy pictures for a $4k coin being sold online.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience with submitting coins with minor clips is that the TPGs won't call them "Mint Errors". Instead, the coins are body-bagged or "genuined" for "Planchet Flaw". I'd be curious to hear an official explanation as to where the line is drawn between "Mint Error" and "Cr*p".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My experience with submitting coins with minor clips is that the TPGs won't call them "Mint Errors". Instead, the coins are body-bagged or "genuined" for "Planchet Flaw". I'd be curious to hear an official explanation as to where the line is drawn between "Mint Error" and "Cr*p". >>

I think the PCGS planchet flaw designation with true clips and strike thrus happens when the coin is not submitted through the mint error grading tier.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda cool, but not $3900 cool.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I would look at this coin as more of an eyesore than a positive trait and pay less to acquire it. But that's just me.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see it being worth more than type coin money if the error were significant. This small of a clip is almost a nuisance. Would rather own the same coin for less money
    w/o the "error." I don't see a wow factor, esp. on a $1.5K to $4K coin. The coin seems to have a film in the obv center either from secondary toning starting or possibly a
    thumbing???

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say I've seen this 1889 before clip same location, but it was toned and in NGC plastic.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mornin' guys -

It's another case of what I call a "White Elephant" error.

The coin is worth more as a high grade proof than it is
    as a rim clip.

There's alot of that out there........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file