Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealer behavior in other people's shop

GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
We have the other thread going about someone tattling about the behavior of the vest pocket dealer. What I want to ask is what is the appropriate behavior for a vest pocket or show dealer when they are in another dealer's shop. For the most part, most MAJOR dealers who come into our shop are quiet, respectful and do not announce themselves as dealers to everyone. They get their deals and things are fine. When I walk into another dealer's store, I behave like any old customer and mind my own business. There was one occurrence where I was called in by another dealer for a consult and I did not say that I worked for the shop down the street until it became necessary and at that point only after getting the permission of the dealer. The biggest problem vest pocket dealers are the small time dealers who really can't make it any way other than leaching. Typically I make sure these wannabees get in and out.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem vest pocket dealers are the small time dealers who really can't make it any way other than leaching

Leaching?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>The biggest problem vest pocket dealers are the small time dealers who really can't make it any way other than leaching

Leaching? >>

Taking business from the dealers that own the shop, etc... By talking to customers and such. It's like the guys who sit outside the hotels when the hotel buyers are in town. They're leaching image
  • Options
    sorry should be poaching like in the other thread
  • Options
    Leach - as in graves leaching corruption.

Leech - as in bloodsucking varmints.

Both seem to fit
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I think you asked and answered your own question. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The biggest problem vest pocket dealers are the small time dealers who really can't make it any way other than leaching

Leaching? >>

Taking business from the dealers that own the shop, etc... By talking to customers and such. It's like the guys who sit outside the hotels when the hotel buyers are in town. They're leaching image >>

Actually they are leeching; sorta like bloodsuckers. Leaching might be dissolving the salt out of a mixture of salt and sand using hot water. Leaching is the selective removal of one or more components from a mixture containing them.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just post a warning on the front door: "Poachers Will Be Shot". And mean it.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Someone stole the plans for my future ex-wife trap! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaching biz in someone else's store is flat out thievery - kind of like shoplifting.

The coin store creates value by paying the rent, advertising, etc., - in other words it costs them money before the business opportunity even walks in the door.

The leach hangs out for free in the store and steals the opportunity.

These leechers should all go hang out around the we buy gold store. That's about the appropriate strata of society for these bottom feeders.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Greeniejr: agreed on poaching vest pocket dealers, the parasites of our hobby

Broadstruck: wonderful visual aid you dug up! criminals used to be so well dressed......now look at them

Llafoe: damn, you must have an ex in every state.....i bet the State Quarter series was particularly tough for you......must have been like an Alimony series

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>Llafoe: damn, you must have an ex in every state.....i bet the State Quarter series was particularly tough for you......must have been like an Alimony series >>

LOL!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Just like our alligator pit until the ASPCA made us drain it.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Tom, your store was so small you would drain all the customers at once image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

And, subsequently, some leech of a lawyer would represent him in a lawsuit, for the owner not informing him of such dangers...

Nice picture
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

And, subsequently, some leech of a lawyer would represent him in a lawsuit, for the owner not informing him of such dangers...

Nice picture >>

Actually, it was the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Alligators that made us shut it down. Too many people were landing on the alligators!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351

<< <i>As a 'vestie', I adhere to certain (self-imposed) rules. They are *never* to be broken. (See Below).

By having done so, I've remained 'in the good graces' of every dealer I do business with. I've been buying and selling coins since 1988, (not counting my hobby years, which go back to the mid 1970's.)

All vest-pocket types should follow these rules, IMO, out of respect for the owner of the shop.

#1. Under NO circumstances may you do any business with the shop's customers. They should be under the impression that you are just another customer.

#2. The retail customers *always* 'have the right of way' over you. Therefore...

#2a. Whenever a customer needs attention from the shop owner/employee, you should excuse yourself and go look at something in the displays, etc. Even if this means you have to sit and wait an hour, DO IT. (Go get lunch or do some other business, elsewhere, if need be.)

#3. If a customer happens to ask your opinion of something related to the shop's business, politely refer them to the owner/employee. You can talk about the weather, sports, etc, but NOT about coins, unless the conversation also involves the owner/employee and it's clear you're welcomed in the conversation, (welcomed by the OWNER.)

#4. If you're sitting at a table/display case, (etc) and a customer moves in behind you to get a look at something in the case, MOVE. Excuse yourself, and explain that you're "not in a hurry" or something along those lines, and let them have the space.

#5. Do NOT show up at the peak time of day! You want/expect to be treated like a real dealer, so you don't take up the shop's prime retail selling time with your wholesale dealing.

#6. If it gets busy while you're there, GET OUT OF THE WAY or, better yet, leave and come back later. (See above, re lunch, etc.)

#7. When you call the shop for info, keep it VERY brief! Do NOT make idle chat with a shop employee, (on the phone OR in person,) *unless* it's the owner, and s/he clearly wishes to talk to you at length. Do NOT call and ask for 'spot gold' etc! DO call if you have coins you think the shop needs/wants, and make sure to ask when a good time for you to bring the coins by would be.

#8. Occasionally, offer the shop some of the 'hits' you get when you have coins graded, (especially if you're a "slab-cracker".) And don't talk about your ebay sales if you sell on ebay.

#8 Related Hint: Don't bring the coins you bought 'raw' from a particular shop, back to the same shop to sell, once they're slabbed, (I mean the ones that you had graded, and got a much better $grade$ from PCGS, than the seller thought they would grade!) That's almost like insulting the dealer!

#9. Don't expect to get great deals from a shop, if you rarely do business with that shop.

#10. Do NOT excessively "split hairs" over the price of a coin. If you and the dealer are 'too far apart', just move on to the next coin.

#11. Don't try to get a better price than the counter-offer, by pointing out "all those flaws" on a coin. Again, just move on to the next coin.

By working from a position of respect, and recognizing that the shop dealer has expenses you can't even imagine, (that you do NOT have,) you'll find that you'll be welcomed at most coin stores, and you might even wind up one day, years down the road, with a new friend.

It's worked for me for many years now, through the good times when the shops were regularly 'humming' with customers, and through the rough times, when I would often be the only person in the shop for over an hour.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. >>

GREAT POST! image
  • Options

<< <i>As a 'vestie', I adhere to certain (self-imposed) rules. They are *never* to be broken. (See Below).

By having done so, I've remained 'in the good graces' of every dealer I do business with. I've been buying and selling coins since 1988, (not counting my hobby years, which go back to the mid 1970's.)

All vest-pocket types should follow these rules, IMO, out of respect for the owner of the shop.

#1. Under NO circumstances may you do any business with the shop's customers. They should be under the impression that you are just another customer.

#2. The retail customers *always* 'have the right of way' over you. Therefore...

#2a. Whenever a customer needs attention from the shop owner/employee, you should excuse yourself and go look at something in the displays, etc. Even if this means you have to sit and wait an hour, DO IT. (Go get lunch or do some other business, elsewhere, if need be.)

#3. If a customer happens to ask your opinion of something related to the shop's business, politely refer them to the owner/employee. You can talk about the weather, sports, etc, but NOT about coins, unless the conversation also involves the owner/employee and it's clear you're welcomed in the conversation, (welcomed by the OWNER.)

#4. If you're sitting at a table/display case, (etc) and a customer moves in behind you to get a look at something in the case, MOVE. Excuse yourself, and explain that you're "not in a hurry" or something along those lines, and let them have the space.

#5. Do NOT show up at the peak time of day! You want/expect to be treated like a real dealer, so you don't take up the shop's prime retail selling time with your wholesale dealing.

#6. If it gets busy while you're there, GET OUT OF THE WAY or, better yet, leave and come back later. (See above, re lunch, etc.)

#7. When you call the shop for info, keep it VERY brief! Do NOT make idle chat with a shop employee, (on the phone OR in person,) *unless* it's the owner, and s/he clearly wishes to talk to you at length. Do NOT call and ask for 'spot gold' etc! DO call if you have coins you think the shop needs/wants, and make sure to ask when a good time for you to bring the coins by would be.

#8. Occasionally, offer the shop some of the 'hits' you get when you have coins graded, (especially if you're a "slab-cracker".) And don't talk about your ebay sales if you sell on ebay.

#8 Related Hint: Don't bring the coins you bought 'raw' from a particular shop, back to the same shop to sell, once they're slabbed, (I mean the ones that you had graded, and got a much better $grade$ from PCGS, than the seller thought they would grade!) That's almost like insulting the dealer!

#9. Don't expect to get great deals from a shop, if you rarely do business with that shop.

#10. Do NOT excessively "split hairs" over the price of a coin. If you and the dealer are 'too far apart', just move on to the next coin.

#11. Don't try to get a better price than the counter-offer, by pointing out "all those flaws" on a coin. Again, just move on to the next coin.

By working from a position of respect, and recognizing that the shop dealer has expenses you can't even imagine, (that you do NOT have,) you'll find that you'll be welcomed at most coin stores, and you might even wind up one day, years down the road, with a new friend.

It's worked for me for many years now, through the good times when the shops were regularly 'humming' with customers, and through the rough times, when I would often be the only person in the shop for over an hour.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. >>

imageimageimageimageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent advice... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem vest pocket dealers are the small time dealers who really can't make it any way other than leaching

So what you mean is that vpd's can't make it by leeching off the public directly. In that, I would agree.
    I have found that most vpd's are a very honorable and classy lot for the most part. If I had to line up the best ethical dealers I know in my
    state, the vpd's would fill up most of the spaces at the top of the list.

When I visit my local shop I'm basically treated like a vpd. At times, I've sat back for up to 2 hours before they could attend to me which is fine. Sorry,
    but once I've waited for my seat for 1-2 hrs, I don't give it up for any Joe walking in the store. My time is certainly as valuable as theirs.

I think we need a new thread for how regular B&M shop dealers should behave/approach vpd's at shows where the B&M is merely roaming and the vpd has
    a table. image

Imagine if all non-vdp's were held to those same high standards (1-11). Anyone reading that list would think that vpd's (or knowledgeable and savvy collectors who
    basically function like vpd's) are the scum of the earth and need to be held on a tight leash. They are even lower than the most annoying, obnoxious, and potential
    thief that walks into a shop. Of course the B&M dealers stand on a pedestal. The bashing of vpd's has been very comical reading. Without vpd's roaming the B&M's and
    small, regional, and national coin shows, the coin business would cease to function. At the smaller shows, they probably account for 90% of the dollars spent on the bourse
    floors.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

So what you mean is that vpd's can't make it by leeching off the public directly. In that, I would agree.
    I have found that most vpd's are a very honorable and classy lot for the most part. If I had to line up the best ethical dealers I know in my

When I visit my local shop I'm basically treated like a vpd. At times, I've sat back for up to an hour or two before they could attend to me which is fine.

I think we need a new thread for how regular B&M shop dealers should behave/approach vpd's at shows where the B&M is merely roaming and the vpd has
    a table. image

roadrunner >>

Vest Pocket Dealers have every right to operate. They probably make up a large percentage of the hobby. As mentioned, however, it's just boorish to hijack customers in a dealers own store. I have a hard time thinking that a jeweler or pawn shop would tolerate that kind of behavior.

In the case of the latter, they might just get physically removed from the premises by a security guard. A slap on the head might be a good way to remind them how obnoxious it is to be interfering with customers.
  • Options
    There are MANY great vest pocket dealers out there, big, medium and small that are fantastic. The thing they have in common is that they respect the fact that it is someone else's place of business. There is one VPD who comes in who if I have a customer in looking for something I don't have while they are in the shop, I ask the dealer if he has it and let them make a deal. It is a result of years of mutual respect. I have another one who comes in and will interrupt me whatever I am doing and will offer me modern crap that I don't want at 10% over what I can off them for. He then complains about the numbers. VPDs help our industry function, but having a brief case and a grey sheet does not make you a dealer.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... but having a brief case and a grey sheet does not make you a dealer.

Agreed. You gotta have the mustard-stained Hawaiian shirt to go with the other things. image
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351

When I visit my local shop I'm basically treated like a vpd. At times, I've sat back for up to 2 hours before they could attend to me which is fine. Sorry,
    but once I've waited for my seat for 1-2 hrs, I don't give it up for any Joe walking in the store. My time is certainly as valuable as theirs.

a table. image

Imagine if all non-vdp's were held to those same high standards (1-11). Anyone reading that list would think that vpd's (or knowledgeable and savvy collectors who
    basically function like vpd's) are the scum of the earth and need to be held on a tight leash. They are even lower than the most annoying, obnoxious, and potential
    thief that walks into a shop. Of course the B&M dealers stand on a pedestal. The bashing of vpd's has been very comical reading. Without vpd's roaming the B&M's and
    small, regional, and national coin shows, the coin business would cease to function. At the smaller shows, they probably account for 90% of the dollars spent on the bourse
    floors.

roadrunner >>

I think the point of the post is that most VPDs are aware of good manners and able to be classy whereas many B&M dealers are not.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Leaching? >>

Taking business from the dealers that own the shop, etc... By talking to customers and such. It's like the guys who sit outside the hotels when the hotel buyers are in town. They're leaching image >>

Those who sit around the hotels are taking away business from the real leaches, IMHO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file