Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for Bust Dime enthusiasts?

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
PCGS finally corrected their data base, the Curl Base 2 1829 in AU53 was finally removed, the highest graded example is now also in PCGS plastic and it is a problem free completely original PCGS VF35 Ex: Winston Zacks

What do you think it should sell for if auctioned in heritage platinum night (it isn't there, just hypothetical) because that is the greatest venue for great coins imho?

Comments

• USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That coin is vf35, isn't it?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is a PCGS35........just a typo I guess.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen the coin in hand and think it could be considered a 40...especially compared side by side to other 35-40 bust dimes

<< <i>I have seen the coin in hand and think it could be considered a 40...especially compared side by side to other 35-40 bust dimes >>

From the pictures it looks like it could go xf, might be a good candidate for cac...Is this a new addition to your collection Realone?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winston sold his PRIZE to Realone?!?!! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>Winston sold his PRIZE to Realone?!?!! image >>

I'll second this thought!
    Finest Coins and Relics
    I guess noone answered the OP's original question...my guess would be 5 Figures...where exactly, I'm not sure. Depends upon how many fans would come together on the magical bidding day that decided they really had to own it.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>Winston sold his PRIZE to Realone?!?!! image >>

Several things, from both sides of the table, came into play when deciding to trade this coin to another collector.

That being said, while I also think it is a VF-38, it is clearly the finest known example in existence by several grades.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is my 14 year old son's holy grail of coin collecting! He loves that coin and always is on the lookout for oneimage
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has been cleaned............right?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think it should sell for if auctioned in heritage platinum night (it isn't there, just hypothetical) because that is the greatest venue for great coins imho? >>

Do you really feel this is Platinum Night material image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contemporary counterfeit? image

• << <i>That is my 14 year old son's holy grail of coin collecting! He loves that coin and always is on the lookout for oneimage >>

Believe it or not, when I was 14, this was my favorite coin as well.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>The coin has been cleaned............right? >>

That´s not the best photo of this coin, but to answer your question - NO, this coin has not been cleaned.

And I have ALWAYS been searching for this coin and it was one of the coins I have kept an eye out for.
    There is an excellent article on the curl base 2 by Louis Scuderi in the July 2011 edition of the JRCS journal with lots of pictures and detailed information. The article is not on the site yet but here is the JRCS website JRCS website

<< <i>There is an excellent article on the curl base 2 by Louis Scuderi in the July 2011 edition of the JRCS journal with lots of pictures and detailed information. The article is not on the site yet but here is the JRCS website JRCS website >>

I understand it talks about all of the known examples, including this one as being the finest known...and it seems to be the finest known "problem free example" by 20 points! Only a couple of dozen examples known and more than half of the examples are damaged or have been messed with in some way. Redbook says $25,000 in VF....which is okay if a problem free example actually existed in VF20 or VF25. PCGS says $34,500 in VF30 but there is not a problem free example at this level either. The next highest problem free example is a F-15! If I were a seller of the coin, I would have a reserve of $50,000 to $60,000 on it I think...and I would NOT fork over 15%, or anything close to that, to some auction house....that's just me though. This is certainly a prized coin! I hope the owner can hang onto it for 20 years + or so then demand an easy 6 FIGURES for it! This is also the only known example without the Obverse Die Crack from what I understand. Seems to me, if someone wants to buy this thing they better step up big time!

But what the heck do I know?....I'm just a lowly Mercury Dime Variety collector. image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is an excellent article on the curl base 2 by Louis Scuderi in the July 2011 edition of the JRCS journal with lots of pictures and detailed information. The article is not on the site yet but here is the JRCS website JRCS website >>

the article won't go up on the website. A table of contents to the issue will eventually go up on the site, but articles are only available in the printed journals. So a link to the membership page of the JRCS is in order: Membership Application
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a cleaned example in PCGS plastic on Ebay right now with a BIN at 15K.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

<< <i>

the article won't go up on the website. A table of contents to the issue will eventually go up on the site, but articles are only available in the printed journals. So a link to the membership page of the JRCS is in order: Membership Application >>

Thanks Barndog
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is at least 1 pcgs08..........i had it and sold it.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I believe number 21 was my coin! As for the ex Winston coin with the right conditions could sell for $70,000 easily. Before I decided to sell my set, I was prepared to offer $40.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe number 21 was my coin! As for the ex Winston coin with the right conditions could sell for $70,000 easily. Before I decided to sell my set, I was prepared to offer $40. >>

I don't think Winston would have sold the coin for a measly 40 bucks! imageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

The coin was certainly a VERY tough sell since I am building essentially a VF-35 set of Capped Bust Dimes by Die Marriage.
    I couldn´t believe when I came across this coin...it just blew my clothes off and I couldn´t believe this coin could exist.

This is SUCH a special coin that the new owner, REALONE, hopefully will hold onto it for as long as possible.

When I win the Lotto I will buy this coin back in a heartbeat...if REALONE decides to sell it back to me!!!

Maybe I will just find another, possibly higher grade example later on, but those odds are as scarce, or scarcer than winning the lotto.

Edited: Last sentence removed
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Rich, You are a riot! How are you my old friend? Fred

Realone, I will look to see if I still have a photo I can send you of the 1829 I owned. I believe it was sold at the Heritage summer fun auction you can see if they have a decent picture of it there. All this talk about dimes makes me want to get back in. I still own a few one being the 1829 small over large 10 top pop. The coin is in a PCGS au holder. Thanks for letting me chime in.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rich, You are a riot! How are you my old friend? Fred >>

I'm doing well, Fred! Glad to see you posting again! And I'm glad you appreciate my sense of humor!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file