Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pet peeve

I feel like slapping someone every time I see an ebay listing where the seller says something like, "Coin is in very good condition but needs cleaning. I attempted to clean it which caused the glare in the scan." Sheesh! image

That black residue that resists all their attempts at "cleaning" is from the coin having been submerged in sea water for a long period of time. Most likely, it was part of about 16 million Pesos dumped into the sea near Corregidor before the invading Japanese forces in 1942. Well over 10 million have since been salvaged, and the black residue is the strongest evidence that a coin was part of those that were salvaged. No coin should be "cleaned", but as none of these are in any reasonable collectable grade, I suppose cleaning doesn't hurt. Any value lies mainly in the fact that they are 80% silver. Even so, it disgusts me that some nitwit would recommend cleaning, even after years of numismatic effort to inform such morons that doing so will more likely destroy any potential collectable value!image

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the history on the filthy coins is as fascinating as the coins themselves. Strip away the history, and well, you might as well strip away the value.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21