Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's LONG BEACH Show Report (w/lots of pics ADDED!)

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
This will be quick. Thursday I forgot my cell phone and couldn't take pictures, but was extremely busy any way so didn't have time to report. Then several of us went back to my neck of the woods to have dinner with my hubby, had some very tasty high end tequilla, got home late, too tired post. Friday, took lots of neat photos at the show of people, events, coins, etc. saw several forum members, but again went out to dinner after the show, just now got home (10:30 pm), and am again too tired to download photos and post, so I PROMISE to post a more complete report tomorrow WITH PHOTOS!

Some quick highlights include lots of great purchases and consignments - including a beautiful 1877 PCGS MS64 and 1856 Flying Eagle PCGS MS63, Mike/Illini's awesome 1909-S exhibit, Darryl/the Pirate's booth with some very cool Asian antique items, a couple of beautiful high end blue-toned proofs from Rick and me, and lots more!

So please be patient, and I'll have my usual photographic roadtrip report tomorrow!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see what you left coasters have been up to!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not forget the wine report.....image Cheers, RickO
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Waiting with great anticipation
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Setup was on Wednesday and everyone noticed that there were a lot more empty tables especially up front, but that the back of the show had more occupied tables than ever! Some of the dealers who had left the show due to high table fees came back because they had the option to set up at one of the much less expensive tables in the back of the room. It looks like PCGS/Collectors Universe is really trying to do what they can to appease both the dealers and still put on a good show.

So the show opened to the public on Thursday and soon the aisles got very crowded. I actually forgot my cell phone/camera at home (I left it on the charger!) so I wasn't able to take any photos on Thursday but I made up for it on Friday and took photos of several familiar people, exhibits, etc. However, due to the florescent lighting in the show, all my photos have these shadow stripes that I couldn't get rid of so I apologize for that.

Mike/Illini put together a wonderful exhibit on San Francisco Copper Coinage of 1909.

I also stopped by Mike Byer's table to view the amazing Indian cents struck on gold planchet errors but he wasn't there, so I just took a photo of this sign he had on display...

Here's Darryl the Pirate's booth - he does the kids' treasure hunt on Saturday, and he also sells some amazing artifacts and gorgeous pieces from China

And I have to give credit to the supply folks since they do a heck of a job setting up tons of wares which makes it quite convenient to find all the coin supplies we need!

I had several people stop by to sell some very nice coins that I just couldn't resist, some were trading/upgrading, others were "vest pocket" dealers who know I love nice copper. So I purchased and took on consignment some wonderful coins and, of course, quickly took them over to Todd to photograph! Here's an idea of how many newps I've acquired so far, including a beautiful 1877 PCGS MS64 RB and a rare 1856 Flying Eagle PCGS PF63....

Here are photos of some of the folks I've seen at the show, many of whom will be quite familiar!

Our great PCGS folks!

Cute Matt/Renomedphys who joined us for dinner last night and has some of the most beautiful coins Matte Proof Lincolns, not to mention many other gem copper pieces!

Bob/Watersport who I haven't seen in quite a while and is always charming

Jeff who works really hard for the ANA!

Scott who is a consignor expert at Stacks Bowers

Rick Snow who is always busy

And of course, Todd/Blu62Vette!

Rick and I both picked up some pretty toned proofs, which coincidentally was discussed in the last issue of the Fly-In Club's Longacre's Ledger.

And last but not least, we have had some very yummy wine! Thanks to Wei for bringing me a wonderful bottle of 1905 Heitz Cellars wine that we quickly consumed (and I forgot to take a photo of the bottle). But here are a couple other bottles several of us managed to consume over the past few days!

Almost forgot to mention, I met up with Stephanie/Coinsarefun and bought some of her beautiful Conder tokens. Also found some FANTASTIC and AMAZING Conders from Kyle - will post photos soon.....

So, now I have to get back to the show, more later!

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Charmy, great pictures. Thank you for taking the time to shoot them.

A most enjoyable visual experience.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    As usual, excellent report Charmy, I look forward to your end of show comments.

Illini, what a fantastic display !!!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics and comments. What is your take on the state of the LB Show? OK, or slowly sinking into the sunset?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy, that is cool. It's great that even those of us who can't travel get the feeling of almost being there.

Were there any other displays? Nice job on the cents of San Fransicso display Mike!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Excellent photos Charmy. Thank you!
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    Great post! I always like to read your show reports. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool stuff pennylady. wtg image
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Not one blurry picture, great job!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The show has been off-and-on busy. Compared to Baltimore, it is nowhere near as good. There were many open tables in the expensive area, which shows that our hosts have gone a bridge too far on raising table fees. The action is moving more and more to the rear of the room where the table fees are much cheaper.

The show is still a must-do for California and Western dealers, like myself, but it is increasingly not a must-do for Eastern dealers.

I bought a bunch of neat stuff like a few great full strike 1877's and a beautiful 1856 S4 (low leaves - only 15 known) and some beautiful blue-tones Proofs so, I consider it a successful show. If I had to rely on sales here, I would not be so happy.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, watch out taking pictures, there is a big "no pictures" sign up front at the entrance..unless of course just being you they make an exception!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    great reports
    Nice pictures Charmy... and WOW... a 1905 Heitz Cellars???? Awesome.. Heitz has some really nice reds. The Cab and the Pinot are nice reds as well.... very mellow... Cheers, RickO
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The show has been off-and-on busy. Compared to Baltimore, it is nowhere near as good. There were many open tables in the expensive area, which shows that our hosts have gone a bridge too far on raising table fees. The action is moving more and more to the rear of the room where the table fees are much cheaper.

The show is still a must-do for California and Western dealers, like myself, but it is increasingly not a must-do for Eastern dealers.

I bought a bunch of neat stuff like a few great full strike 1877's and a beautiful 1856 S4 (low leaves - only 15 known) and some beautiful blue-tones Proofs so, I consider it a successful show. If I had to rely on sales here, I would not be so happy. >>

Great info, Rick. I'm a Western dealer, but added Baltimore to my tour this year instead of Long Beach. Your comments echo the private comments of many dealers. I'd really like to see this show turned back on an upward trajectory so I can add it to my list.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So today has been a bit better. I sold a 1856 S-3 in a PR-63 PCGS holder for $20K, and bought some more 1877's!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So today has been a bit better. I sold a 1856 S-3 in a PR-63 PCGS holder for $20K, and bought some more 1877's! >>

Check your mail box. You got a check from me as well. image
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    We want more pictures! How about including at least one of you?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you again today Charmy... cool report and thanks for taking pics of that display that I set up! The pics came out much better than I would have done and you saved me a post!!!! image
    Well, it seemed like this show came and went pretty fast! Even though Thursday and Friday were quite busy, Saturday was surprisingly slow. In the past Saturdays seemed to have more public, especially more kids. But today looked more sparse than usual. However, my table is in the middle/back of the room, but our area seemed more full and crowded with public than the rest of the room for most of the show probably due to the new lower cost tables. So I agree with Rick, our hosts need to do something about the high price of tables in order to keep this Long Beach show going. It is still a great show for us west coasters, and I always seem to have a pretty decent show no matter what time of year. And as I mentioned, I did quite a bit of buying at this show but I also did a lot of selling. I can't speak to gold and silver, dollars, halves, dimes and nickels, or paper money, but I think quality copper will always be in demand, especially Indian and Lincoln cents as they seem to be a staple that collectors continue to be drawn to.

I was a little surprised not to see as many usual forumites as usual - so I'm not sure if they didn't come to the show or just didn't make it to our tables. Please know that I for one certainly enjoy seeing all you who do take the time to come by and say hi. Any way, here are some photos I took today at the show (and per Mozin's request, I'm included as well!).

Four beautiful new Conder tokens I got from Kyle Knapp

Me and my little "team" who like to help me out at the Long Beach shows (Rich, Roger and Ron)

The bourse on Saturday

Logan of VAMS & More and his beautiful daughters!

Logan and me

Dennis88

My favorite Italian friend Frank who also loves a good glass of wine!

Darryl the Pirate in his "uniform" and his sidekick!

Darryl was helping out the kiddos after the treasure hunt

RobKool at the Long Beach Coin Club kids' table

So that's about it for this show report. I really enjoy this show and will continue to support it as long as we both are around! My next show report will most likely be from the ANA Summer Seminar next month - stay tuned!

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Very nice !
    I was so busy,I had no time to take any pics...
    Thanks for the hug Charmy image
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis88 ya young buck, you got your own table?
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Charmy. Hey !!! thats Robkool at the LB coin club table !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Charmy for the Thread and the pictures.

Always enjoy your reports !!

See you at the ANA in Chicago !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice post.

Wonder why the condor site in your links has been disabled?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dennis88 ya young buck, you got your own table? >>

I'm usually with Glenn/PonyExpress8 but he didn't come down for this show so I just walked it.

Dennis

<< <i>Nice post.

Wonder why the condor site in your links has been disabled? >>

I changed the link to the Conder Token Club site which is an even better resource.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SUPER KOOL POST CHARMY !!! Thanks for sharing the pics. Is that me sitting next to the club banner ??? LOL !!! image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pictures Charmy... and WOW... a 1905 Heitz Cellars???? Awesome.. Heitz has some really nice reds. The Cab and the Pinot are nice reds as well.... very mellow... Cheers, RickO >>

It was a 2005 vintage. A 1905 would've been really something.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job ! It's one of the most wonderful hobbies in the world thanks to you people who work "behind the tables".
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the great report and pix, Charmy. It helps me feel like I was there.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the nicely photographed and details coin show report, Charmy!

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and pics as usual, Charmy. They really portray your genuine love for the hobby, and for life in general.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Thanks Wei.... I agree.. a 1905 would have demanded the media be present for the opening... Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice pictures Charmy... and WOW... a 1905 Heitz Cellars???? Awesome.. Heitz has some really nice reds. The Cab and the Pinot are nice reds as well.... very mellow... Cheers, RickO >>

It was a 2005 vintage. A 1905 would've been really something. >>

Oops, I was in "Indian cent year" mode! Thanks for the correction!
  • I agree does seem to be turning into a west coast only show

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and thanks for sharing those great pics.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the report and loved all the pics.

Thanks for taking the time and effort once again Charmy.

Mike
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for those of you who think my display looked neat I'd like to first say thanks! But even more than that you should note that I got 3rd place for my display at this show. So if you thought mine was cool, there are others there as well that are just as deserving of a look if not more so. First place went to a Barber Dime variety display w/ repunched dates and repunched mintmarks that was very nicely done. Second place was some currency display and that is off-topic for this forum anyways image There are also collector displays of foreign coins and robkool set up a display there which I think came in 2nd place in that category!

Checking out these displays is one of the coolest parts of the Long Beach show I think and it's unfortunate that so many people don't even realize they are back there tucked away in the back of the convention center. It's also cool that every show there are different displays. Next time you're at Long Beach, make sure to check them out.
    Mike, I agree with you about show exhibits - they are sort of (and sadly) a show's best kept secret. When you view each of these exhibits, you can definitely see that a lot of research, time, and effort was put into creating these very educational exhibits. It would be great if the show promoters would advertise or at least make announcements about the exhibits and their location within the show. But I can honestly say that it is the public who is missing out if they don't take a minute or two to view these very cool exhibits.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file