Home U.S. Coin Forum

18th Century Type Set - Advice Needed

IF you assembled a low grade 18th Century Type Set (G4-F12 with readable dates), how hard would it be to sell these low grade coins in the future. A set of 25 will set me back somewhere between $250-300K. These will be held for at least 8 years and may be sold anytime thereafter. Is this a bad idea?

1793 Liberty Cap Half Cent, Head Facing Left 1793
1794 Liberty Cap Half Cent, Large Head Facing Right 1794
1795 Liberty Cap Half Cent, Small Head Facing Right 1795 Lettered Edge
1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent, Chain Reverse 1793 AMERI.
1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent, Wreath Reverse 1793 Vine and Bars Edge
1793 Liberty Cap Large Cent, Beaded Border 1793 Liberty Cap
1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent, Denticled Border 1794 Head of 1793
1796 Draped Bust Large Cent 1796 Reverse of 1794
1792 Bust Half Dime 1792
1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime 1794
1796 Draped Bust Half Dime, Small Eagle Reverse 1796
1796 Draped Bust Dime, Small Eagle 1796
1798 Draped Bust Dime, Heraldic Eagle 1798/7 16 Stars Reverse
1796 Draped Bust Quarter, Small Eagle 1796
1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar 1794
1796 Draped Bust Half Dollar, Small Eagle 1796 15 Stars
1794 Flowing Hair Dollar 1794
1795 Bust Dollar, Small Eagle Reverse 1795 Centered Dr Bust
1798 Bust Dollar, Large Eagle Reverse 1798 Large Eagle
1796 Turban Head $2-1/2, No Stars 1796 No Stars
1796 Turban Head $2-1/2, With Stars 1796 Stars
1795 Turban Head $5, Plain Eagle 1795 Small Eagle
1795 Draped Bust $5, Heraldic Eagle 1795 Large Eagle
1795 Draped Bust $10, Plain Eagle 1795 13 Leaves
1797 Draped Bust $10, Heraldic Eagle 1797 Large Eagle
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• To sell: Very easy. I've been trying to buy many of these and they are scarce and go very close to "retail value" and often WELL ABOVE "retail value".

To buy: Harder image There aren't many opportunities for a lot of them, and they go for relatively strong money.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IF you assembled a low grade 18th Century Type Set (G4-F12 with readable dates), how hard would it be to sell these low grade coins in the future? >>

I would say that if you buy nice, original ones with good color and surfaces, that it would be easy to sell them.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is you will go over budget if you try for a 1794 dollar, half disme, two eagles, etc.

It would be exceptionally hard to find all of these, but you'd have one heck of a collection.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were you, I would reduce the number of coins by trying to obtain one of each type. I would pick the date of that type that was generally easiest to obtain in Fine, since that is the top of the grade range you set.

For example, I wouldn't try to get a 1793, 1794, and 1795 Liberty Cap Half Cent - even though each is a little different. Instead, I'd get one representative Liberty Cap Half Cent and move on to another type/denomination.

You can always come back and fill in the extras if you complete your first goal.

This way, you get a better representative type set, you get to gauge Larsen's long term interest, and you can complete a goal sooner, which will be important for your son.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>IF you assembled a low grade 18th Century Type Set (G4-F12 with readable dates), how hard would it be to sell these low grade coins in the future. A set of 25 will set me back somewhere between $250-300K. These will be held for at least 8 years and may be sold anytime thereafter. Is this a bad idea? >>

IMHO to get that list in any problem free grade will set you back about double your estimate. Even with problem coins your estimate may be low.

If it's done, it'd be easy as hell to sell.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may take you 8 years to complete such a set....some of these coins are quite scarce, and you better be prepared to keep your hand in the air (or have a darn high snipe bid) when these coins do come up.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not 1795 for the FH $ and half $ ?
    If it's a type set, it'll make it a little easier.....since you'll still be needing to get the small eagle half,
    the crux of any type set.
    1794 Liberty Cap Half Cent, Large Head Facing Right 1794
    1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent, Chain Reverse 1793 AMERI.
    1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent, Denticled Border 1794 Head of 1793
    1796 Draped Bust Large Cent 1796 Reverse of 1794
    1792 Bust Half Dime 1792
    1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime 1794
    1796 Draped Bust Half Dime, Small Eagle Reverse 1796
    1798 Draped Bust Dime, Heraldic Eagle 1798/7 16 Stars Reverse
    1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar 1794
    1796 Draped Bust Half Dollar, Small Eagle 1796 15 Stars
    1794 Flowing Hair Dollar 1794 *
    1798 Bust Dollar, Large Eagle Reverse 1798 Large Eagle
    1796 Turban Head $2-1/2, With Stars 1796 Stars
    1795 Turban Head $5, Plain Eagle 1795 Small Eagle
    1795 Draped Bust $5, Heraldic Eagle 1795 Large Eagle
    1797 Draped Bust $10, Heraldic Eagle 1797 Large Eagle

I've whittled it down to 16 coins and that 1794 Dollar is likely a show stopper.

From this I'd let Larsen pick his five favorite and go after them. Then next 5, and so on.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Problem with most of these coins are that over the years, coins with issues have found their way into problem free holders. I have seen far too many examples of this. Just because it is slabbed, does not mean its problem free.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Mark,

I count 15? In F12, the least expensive date at guide is $185K.

Liberty Cap Half Cent
    Flowing Hair Large Cent
    Draped Bust Large Cent
    Bust Half Dime
    Flowing Hair Half Dime
    Draped Bust Half Dime
    Draped Bust Dime
    Draped Bust Quarter
    Flowing Hair Half Dollar
    Draped Bust Half Dollar
    Flowing Hair Dollar
    Bust Dollar
    Draped Bust $2-1/2
    Draped Bust $5
    Draped Bust $10
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry,

For some of these, the guide really has no bearing. You will pay OVER guide for any non-problem example.
    Early half-cents are like that and I expect a lot of the others to be like that as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you attempting a first year of issue type set? That is what it appears.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Larry,

For some of these, the guide really has no bearing. You will pay OVER guide for any non-problem example.
    Early half-cents are like that and I expect a lot of the others to be like that as well. >>

Ron,

Thanks... and we're (I'm) picky. I just need a goal; something we can work toward. He likes all the 18th century coins, but he really LOVES half-cents! That's one of the scenario's we're looking at... half-cents. The problem is, assembling a consistent looking set of copper (am I preaching to the choir)? A lot of copper is soooo blotchy... like a black mold! Brown looks better in the earlier dates. I really thought he'd like the colonial currency, but after he saw one in person, he nix'd it and never gave it a second thought. He has his 7070, his counterstamped half-cent/large-cent collection, a complete raw Lincoln set, etc., but they don't pique his interest like 18th century coins.

<< <i>Mark,

I count 15? In F12, the least expensive date at guide is $185K.

Liberty Cap Half Cent
    Flowing Hair Large Cent
    Draped Bust Large Cent
    Bust Half Dime
    Flowing Hair Half Dime
    Draped Bust Half Dime
    Draped Bust Dime
    Draped Bust Quarter
    Flowing Hair Half Dollar
    Draped Bust Half Dollar
    Flowing Hair Dollar
    Bust Dollar
    Draped Bust $2-1/2
    Draped Bust $5
    Draped Bust $10 >>

You are correct. This list has 15.

As for getting all the coins in F12, that's not what I meant - although that's the way it sounded in my previous post. I was just using that as a guide for what date/type/denomination to go after as part of your first goal.

You may be able to find nice examples in G4 that would work just fine.

That said, even in G4, doing this right would be a massive challenge. Just staying patient while keeping your son interested will be difficult. But if you're not patient and careful, you could end up with crappy coins that seem cheap when you buy them but that no one wants.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that if you buy nice, original ones with good color and surfaces, that it would be easy to sell them.

Agreed. Especially because low grade coins are the easiest to counterfeit, but it's really hard to duplicate "good color and surfaces". And 8 years is a long time to give a counterfeiter to perfect his art.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file