Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Have some Canadian Nickels & Pennies to Move ... best way?

I have been going through the coins I inherited from my dad, and noticed he had some Canada coins. Nothing special, but curious as to ideas of the best way to get rid of them. For the most part, they all fit the following categories:

Large Cents - random dates between 1888 and 1920
Cents - random dates between 1920 and 1957
Nickels - random dates between 1922 and 1964
1857 Half Penny Token (X.F.)

I don't want to spend a lot of time on them (the US coins will take some time), but want to make sure they end up in good hands!

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Comments

• Options
    Pictures are always the best way to go , that way if a collector here see's something nice you'll make that trade/sale.The BST is always open for business.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot help you except the 1920-1957 dated cents - I collect them from circulation - really, and there are a couple of scarcer 1920's era dates to look for - 1925 is a pretty low mintage coin.

If I saw pictures of all the coins I might be able to make a fair offer on them - I collect Canadian mostly from circulation when I can find the older stuff for my Whitmans.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    If you are in the States, go to the library and pick up a Canadian Coin Guide .. most will have either Charlton or Haxby or nearly all have the Krause books for reference there only. Take a look and jot down those that appear scarce from the prices and weed/keep those out to sell separately. The rest, put as a bulk lot on a Canadian Forum buy/sell page or Ebay. The scarcer ones (early 20's small cents (22-26), the '25 nickle (and '26 far) and anything else that looks good for price and sell them separately, normally on Ebay or another collector. Remember that dealers will give you less than 50% of what a book/guide says. If there is any silver in there, one dollar face value of .800 silver (after 1920) is .6 troy oz of Ag. Multiple that by the daily silver price (about $45 US) and you get $27X face .. a dealer will give you 88-92% of that for melt, depending on how worn the coins are.