Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

possible fake Chinese coins on ebay

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
If any forum member bought Chinese coins from this ebay seller. Please make sure to send them to grade to make sure the coins are genuine. I believe lots of them are fake.

link

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Wow, some expensive stuff in the list.
  • Options
    Yes, some of the buyer might be dealer. Ebay cancelled all his Chinese coin listings now. I really hope some of those high price coin buyer send the coin to grade.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me? VF auto dollar for $7,800. Wow.

how to lose money fast
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Looks like there may be some shill bidding going on too.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I believe he sold a lot more high price coins. In the next couple weeks I expect some Negative feedback show up.
  • Options
    I collect Chinese Coins, and most of these coins - Have a strange appeal to them, literally every single one of them.

He has gotten some positive feedback - but for some of the more common stuff.
    I tried buying both the auto dollar and the 1912 Republic Dollar, as the seller said they are fully returnable if they are fake.

Curious to know if anyone from this forum has any experience with this particular seller.
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    These all have the same "look" to them. Most of these are in grades that are counterfeited the most (middle grades). They never counterfeit gem proofs or gem bu's. It easy to hid their mistakes with VF-XF grades. Personally, I wouldn't touch these.

3mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I looked at only 3 coins. They appear original...cleaned for sure. What are the pick up points you are using to
    make a counterfiet call?
    Chinese pricing is going thru the roof....buying on Ebay is risky.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options

<< <i>I looked at only 3 coins. They appear original...cleaned for sure. What are the pick up points you are using to
    make a counterfiet call?
    Chinese pricing is going thru the roof....buying on Ebay is risky. >>

Nothing specific, but after more than 50 years of collecting, they just don't feel right. BTW, I was at Heritage CICF when the Chinese sold and the most expensive belonged to a friend of mine (including the Auto Dollar). Just because I wouldn't buy these, it doesn't keep anyone else from buying them. It was just a FWIW.

3mark
  • Options
    I agree with 3Mark - all of the coins do not feel right, but then again that's also just my opinion.

BTW your friend who sold the Auto Dollar also had a nice 1914 MS-67 (the nicest one I have ever seen)

• Options

<< <i>I agree with 3Mark - all of the coins do not feel right, but then again that's also just my opinion.

BTW your friend who sold the Auto Dollar also had a nice 1914 MS-67 (the nicest one I have ever seen) >>

You are correct and when he bought the 1914, there was a MS-66 that had the same look for less money, but he was slab snob and bought the 67 for moreimage

3mark
  • Options
    An interesting auction lot , i had a wee peek at his Toolhaus resume , not been hassled over coins but there were some nuetrals and a dash of red here and there.Mostly damaged stamps or not following through on promises.Down deep in the recesses of those nuetrals there is an interesting one refering to forgeries.If memory serves these were all old chinese stamps.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I was also at the CICF auction watching the Chinese sell (as well as South American)...lol.....we need id tags....

I am sending in a 15 lot Chinese order to PCGS tomorrow....

It will be inetersting to see if he picks up some negative feedback in the future. I am uncertain how many Ebay buyer's send in items to PCGS...

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    Interesting aside, a number of years ago, Ron Guth at CICF, was passing around 20 Chinese dollars and asking how many were real. Since I knew Ron well, I was given the 20 and pronounced 19 were fake and a junk dollar was real. As it turned out, all 20 were fakes (most were poorly cast). I think they are getting betterimage

3mark
  • Options
    About 8 years ago I was asked by a detective working for the UN in East Timor to look at some British silver and gold coins that were being sold -- all BU/AU. They were all fakes, but extremely well done. The main giveaway was that the Chinese counterfeiters were muling portraits with years in which those kings didn't reign. There are probably more 100x modern fake Chinese rarities than real surviving exmples by now.
    Askari

• Options
    Finally netgative feedback showed for that seller as expected.

Text
  • Options
    Has anyone figured out why people who can make virtually exact copies keep tipping their hands by putting wrong dates on them?????
    Roy

• Options
    Hi Roy! Long time no see. image

I suppose it's a cultural thing. They supply the engravers - who have no idea what any of the words mean and are clueless about the history - with samples to work from. It may even be intentional, so that they don't get caught ending up with their own products by accident.
    Askari

• Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036
    In all fairness though , those and previous negs are not for fake/counterfeit coins , misrepresented conditions is the complaint.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone figured out why people who can make virtually exact copies keep tipping their hands by putting wrong dates on them????? >>

5 years ago they made cheap copies in China, made of nickel, and selling for a $ 1 on eBay.
    nowadays they make exact copies of silver & gold , often using original dies & equipment to produce these ""coins ""
    there are pics on the internet of these mint houses,
    extreme caution is needed if you want to buy expensive coins from China.
    ofcause these coins are now also sold outside China,
    buyer beware.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    One of the buyer jst emailed me telling me that this seller's coins are fake. Don't ake any chance on this seller's Cinese coins If you bought any Chinese coin from him. Here is the email that one of the buyer email me:

Thanks for your kind alert, and get the result from the grading company!
    Both of them are faked coins, and just file the complaint in order to
    cancel the transaction with him!
    But without any reply from him , so I just file in pay-pal and request for
    the refund!
  • Options

<< <i>I was also at the CICF auction watching the Chinese sell (as well as South American)...lol.....we need id tags....

I am sending in a 15 lot Chinese order to PCGS tomorrow....I am uncertain how many Ebay buyer's send in items to PCGS...

image >>

i hear that PCGS will only insure the authenticity of Chinese coins to $1,000. That creates lots of business for their competitors.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently NGC didn't call this one a fake - neg feedback:

<< <i>CHINA-Chihli. Dollar. Yr.34. SILVER COIN. *XF. RARE. (#270733170635)
    the coin was not in XF condition. NGC refused to slab due to surface damage! >>

• Options
    The buyer told me this coin is fake and one other coin he bought from this seller.

Text
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    and this one is also fake , must be , because I paid a buck for this one image
    bought another 50 different types , all for a buck a piece.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    One ounce gold coins for $68. Nice.

Ebay

Edit: Coin is real, seller just doesn't have it to sell. Here's the real coin:

Ebay
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    One ounce gold coins for $68. Nice.

It looks like the auctions have already been pulled.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.