Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advertising on coins

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
I bought a coin recently on ebay (sellers images) It is part of my counterstamped type set 7070 (I am nearing completion on the set BTW.) I also just completed the purchase of a Stone Mountain counterstamped half (Mississippi variety) I find counterstamped coins to be extremely interesting for a couple reasons: 1. Because I love the history involved, and the research required to learn who and why these coins were stamped. 2. It can be an inexpensive set to put together, essentially we're talking about damaged coin, in circulated grades...so it won't break the bank in most cases (Polhemus counterstamps aside.)

This brought me to my next logical question, how many people continue this practice today? I know of a couple of people who do, but I wanted to know who on the boards participates in counterstamping activities (Daniel Carr 1964 Peace dollars don't count image)

Anyway, an interesting facet of numismatics, if anyone has information regarding this stamp, or the coin (I think it's authentic.) Feel free to comment. I do know that the stamp is a listed mark in Brunk. I really like the original look of the coin, and the HUGE counterstamp! I don't think I've seen a larger counterstamp, besides maybe the Mel Wacks coins.

Have a nice day

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    >>This brought me to my next logical question, how many people continue this practice today?>>

a few come to mind:

Mike Wallace had some Pres Dollars stamped as a promotion for his website www.smalldollars.com

Jim Skalbe, Numismatist Boston (Jim is a dealer who has been handing out cull copper coins with his stamp for years)

Carter Diamond Tools as a promotion in 2001

Bob Mitchell of Toms River, New Jersey stamped some about 20 years ago (Bob, if you're reading this: I still need one)

various EAC 'bangers' from annual Early American Copper meetings since 1969

Tom Deloray confessed to doing a few Ike's with MUSHROOM a few years back (PM me for the full story)

I'm sure that I'm leaving some out (oh yeah, Mel Wacks....)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it quite a bit and find engraved coins to be very interesting, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    another form of advertising on coins: early 20th century 'stickered' Dollars (Morgans and Peace)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were coins used on the USS Carter in the 1880's. They gave the sailors marked Trade Dollars when they anchored in Shanghai and Canton. It was easy to see where the money went. The bordellos were soon raided and all the Carter dollars were taken back by the Navy.

Edited to add - if you have a better story, I'd like to hear it.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>These were coins used on the USS Carter in the 1880's. They gave the sailors marked Trade Dollars when they anchored in Shanghai and Canton. It was easy to see where the money went. The bordellos were soon raided and all the Carter dollars were taken back by the Navy.

Edited to add - if you have a better story, I'd like to hear it. >>

Are you serious or did you make that up?
  • Options
    Greg,

I've got a Mel Wacks, and a Carter Diamond Tools (Thanks to you) as well as the Small Dollars.com stamp (Thanks Mike.) What kinds of coins did Bob counterstamp? If Tom Deloray stamped any Bicentennial Ikes...I really need one of those.

Tom, Speaking of engraved coins, I found a half dime on ebay with my initials on it. It was very well done, and was fitted with a soldered loop and a chain. I bought it and gave it to my wife...she loves it! And she isn't always very fond of coins. She says she gets compliments almost every day. I've searched ebay many times to see if I could find one with her initials on it...no luck. I've thought about doing a 7070 set of engraved coins as well...I think it would be fun! It steps me away from the "Serious" collecting and gives me an opportunity to have some fun.

Well, it's very late...I'm off to bed!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the reverse of the Franklin half dollar where the manufacturer "PASS AND STOW" is visible on the Liberty Bell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    >>What kinds of coins did Bob counterstamp?>>

Various coins (sorry for such a vague answer)

Bob did the stamp from individual punches giving each one a custom appearance........he has told me for years that he will give me one when he finds them (his room must look like mine, lol)

most are stamped:
    BOB MITCHELL
    TOMS RIVER
    N.J.

but a few had:
    BOB MITCHELL
    ETHIOPIA
    1973-75

(he lived there in the mid 1970's)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not collected counterstamped coins, although, of late, my interest has grown. Too bad really, because I saw quite a few at the coin shows when I lived in Seattle.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    The Church continues it with In God We Trust.
  • Options

<< <i>The Church continues it with In God We Trust. >>

Can you elaborate.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 USC § 475 - Imitating obligations or securities; advertisements

Whoever designs, engraves, prints, makes, or executes, or utters, issues, distributes, circulates, or uses any business or professional card, notice, placard, circular, handbill, or advertisement in the likeness or similitude of any obligation or security of the United States issued under or authorized by any Act of Congress or writes, prints, or otherwise impresses upon or attaches to any such instrument, obligation, or security, or any coin of the United States, any business or professional card, notice, or advertisement, or any notice or advertisement whatever, shall be fined under this title. Nothing in this section applies to evidence of postage payment approved by the United States Postal Service.

from the notes:

1951—Act July 16, 1951, prohibited use of notices or advertising prints or labels on United States coins.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too Bad for I'm sure Progressive Insurance would GLADLY jump at the chance to replace the Lincoln Cent with blue and white discs with that creepy woman on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file