Home Precious Metals
Options

~the Official, perpetual, "It's kinda SHTF but the US Dollar hasn't collaped yet" thead~

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since 2008 I've done well in the stock market and real estate. I own Swiss Francs, not as good. I own US dollars. I own PM's bleh.......Some of those that want to "go all in" whether it's cash, PM's , stock market are the real gamblers.

Agreed! And, your Swiss Francs are looking a little better than they were when you posted this. image

PMs still bleh and meh for now, but I'm holding them nonetheless, in fact going to have to do some buying later this year, to keep the metals % from getting too low.

How you all doin' out there?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best pineapple I ever ate was in Moorea (Tahiti). I picked it off the side of the road as it grew wild. Wasnt very big, but sure did taste good.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Tahitian dog urine makes for some really tasty pineapples. The side of the road?

Really tho, I piss on my tomato plants religiously, and everybody raves about how delicious they are.
  • Options

<< <i>Tahitian dog urine makes for some really tasty pineapples. The side of the road?

Really tho, I piss on my tomato plants religiously, and everybody raves about how delicious they are. >>

It was more of a Jeep trail off the dog piss route. image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, now I'm in a quandary. Piss on the tomatoes, or use Miracle Grow?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>400+ posts and 400+ golden pineapples >>

Haha, mahalo bruddah baley.

I need to opine... image

The sweetest pineapples come from here. I'm certain of it. The question is are they grown here. There's the big field in and around the Dole plantation on Kamehameha Hwy 99 and some say it's only for tourist consumption(?) The ones I buy at Safeway come from Maui...super sweet, like candy. The pineapples I've sampled in Japan, China and Hong Kong are mostly grown in the PI...not so sweet and kinda straw-like. The Costa Rican pineapples are fair and are for the Americas. The ones I see in the Parisian markets are dinky and there's hardly anything left once properly cut. Now back to Renville....
  • Options
    Ya know all is well in forum land when the leading SHTF thread topic of discussion is the relative deliciousness of regional pineapples image

• Options
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered pineapple chunks. I don't know what that means other than it's yummy. image
  • Options
    Oh, bruddah bailey, how low will the Dow and S&P have to go before you concede to a SHTF scenario in 'merica?
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang, now I'm in a quandary. Piss on the tomatoes, or use Miracle Grow? >>

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dang, now I'm in a quandary. Piss on the tomatoes, or use Miracle Grow? >>

image >>

The saying is, using horse manure as fertilizer, will give you the best tasting ones.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

The saying is, using horse manure as fertilizer, will give you the best tasting ones.image >>

Chicken is best, followed by cow. Horses don't digest seeds very well so you will be planting lots of weeds.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I watched Bear Gillis boil a mouse in a womans pee and they both ate mouse drank the peeimage

She was the girl in Fast Furious movies. Bear Gillis has a lot of uses for pee.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

@gsa1fan said:
    << Dang, now I'm in a quandary. Piss on the tomatoes, or use Miracle Grow? >>

They're not mutually exclusive. Diversify, do both!

• Options

Silver just don't buy what it used to since the beginning of this thread. Silver ain't worth silver anymore. I should buy dollars and "save" silver. ;)

• Options

From five and a half years ago...

@jmski52 said:
    Roger, willco. Over, and out.

USDX = 75.63

Gold = $1,433.90

Silver = $37.44

• Options

Nov 14, 2016

USDX = 99.84 (+32%)

Gold = $1,227.80 (-14%)

Silver = $17.08 (-54%)

Incidentally, these %'s are from the time that the metals were peaking in 2011.

Quite a feat for the dollar, especially since the debt has expanded so much in 7 1/2 years!

Looking at the silver and gold 15 year charts in isolation, it actually does look as if silver and gold responded to the rapid expansion in the money supplies from the bailouts, stimulii and QE (and overshot the equilibrium points before settling down).

The question remains, how will they perform as the debt problem rolls on?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Just my two cents, but before the end of the year, while there still some economic optimism I think the dollar will do fine. At some point next year, I think the forex traders will start selling dollars as the economy contracts, as the uncertainty of any cohesive foreign or economic plan, becomes more apparent.

That could be good for metals eventually, not right away. In the mean time i think I may go stock up on pineapples

• Options

TTT for everyone's favorite (non) SHTF thread. Any new thoughts on this subject?

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Family is healthy, a new granddaughter should join this world tomorrow or Tuesday.

While the Wings (or Tigers) haven’t made the playoffs in a few years, and I think the auto recovery is long in the tooth, still enjoying life in Wingsville.

Still picking up gold and silver when I like what I see. And stocks. And I must be getting old because I am starting to look at dividend yields much more than I used to.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still on the idea that if the morons answered the treasury debt downgrade with treasury debt purchases then we have a long, long way to go before a dollar crash.

There are too many people with money chasing our debt, and when the foreigners do it they will need dollars to do it.

If there were an impending crash any time soon, we'd start with the yield curve steepening.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    TTT for everyone's favorite (non) SHTF thread. Any new thoughts on this subject?

Ask our friends in Caracas or Istanbul. Or Syria. Or Ethiopia.

I know, I know. It can't happen here. Bet they were saying that in Caracas and Istanbul 5 years ago.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Will it take 5 years for the USA's decline?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Well, made it through another calendar! How are gold, silver, and the dollar index doing?

Happy new year, all!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    Family is healthy, a new granddaughter should join this world tomorrow or Tuesday.

While the Wings (or Tigers) haven’t made the playoffs in a few years, and I think the auto recovery is long in the tooth, still enjoying life in Wingsville.

Still picking up gold and silver when I like what I see. And stocks. And I must be getting old because I am starting to look at dividend yields much more than I used to.

What about the Pistons? :*

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:
    What about the Pistons? :*

Not since the “Bad Boys” era. :/

• Options
    edited December 30, 2018 3:39PM

Happy New Year! Does the dollar index really mean anything???

I must be getting old because I am starting to look at dividend yields much more than I used to.

Wings, what dividend-paying stocks are good in a rising rate environment?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Well, made it through another calendar! How are gold, silver, and the dollar index doing?

Happy new year, all!

Ya' got the wrong idea.

The guillotine makers would be the only companies making money if the SHTF.

Therefore you can be certain that the store shelves will remain full even if you can't afford to buy much or we're all on food stamps.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2020 10:20AM

This article documents a number of metrics that continue to improve for humans:

X

6 cool charts to argue about!

(maybe everything gonna be ok?)

• Options

Ah, the globalist arguments for what, decline of the US...

From the article:

The recent rise of populism that has swept across Western countries, with Trump, Brexit, and the election of populists in Hungary and Italy, among various other factors, is thus of great concern if we care about global welfare. Globalization is the only way forward to ensure that economic prosperity is shared among all countries and not only a select few advanced economies.
    While some people glorify the past, one of the big facts of economic history is that until quite recently a significant part of the world population has lived under quite miserable conditions—and this has been true throughout most of human history

So Baley, the question is whether or not you believe that the fruits of your hard work should be re-distributed across the globe (and across the US) - at your expense, without any reward accruing to you. For instance, are you willing to donate your intellectual properties to the Chinese, gratis (or have it stolen by them) - for the benefit of those few billion Asians who have only recently crossed into middle class status and now compete with US citizens for jobs across borders (and here)? After all, it would be for the common good. Put your money where your mouth is, if that's what you believe. Make it happen!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Cancer knows no borders.

• Options

Lets see, 300 million customers or 8 billion? Decisions. Decisions.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Lets see, 300 million customers or 8 billion? Decisions. Decisions.

Dammit man, another trick question..ha

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Ah, the globalist arguments for what, decline of the US...

From the article:

The recent rise of populism that has swept across Western countries, with Trump, Brexit, and the election of populists in Hungary and Italy, among various other factors, is thus of great concern if we care about global welfare. Globalization is the only way forward to ensure that economic prosperity is shared among all countries and not only a select few advanced economies.
    While some people glorify the past, one of the big facts of economic history is that until quite recently a significant part of the world population has lived under quite miserable conditions—and this has been true throughout most of human history

So Baley, the question is whether or not you believe that the fruits of your hard work should be re-distributed across the globe (and across the US) - at your expense, without any reward accruing to you. For instance, are you willing to donate your intellectual properties to the Chinese, gratis (or have it stolen by them) - for the benefit of those few billion Asians who have only recently crossed into middle class status and now compete with US citizens for jobs across borders (and here)? After all, it would be for the common good. Put your money where your mouth is, if that's what you believe. Make it happen!

My discoveries and developments, and those of the teams I've been a part of and even led, are in fact now used worldwide.. extending and improving Quality of lives of hundreds of thousands of people.

Millions of dollars have gone into my superior's and investor's pockets on patents, and one can't even put a value on hours and days with their loved ones. I got a salary, benefits, and a few shares.

Happy to do it. If anyone you know had lymphoma, leukemia, breast, colon, gastric, or pancreatic cancer, or rheumatoid arthritis.. you're welcome.

• Options

Happy to do it. If anyone you know had lymphoma, leukemia, breast, colon, gastric, or pancreatic cancer, or rheumatoid arthritis.. you're welcome.

Did you provide a cure?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Rituxan and Herceptin have provided many patients with complete responses, yes. Others have experienced statistically increased progression-free survival time.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Rituxan and Herceptin have provided many patients with complete responses, yes. Others have experienced statistically increased progression-free survival time.

So, can I blame you for all the unpronounceable drug names?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 1:35AM

Clinical trials?

• Options

We all still good?

• Options

Hope you aren't tied in too closely with Deutschebank!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Hope you aren't tied in too closely with Deutschebank!

Any different than being tied to silver over the last decade?

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 6:19AM

Yes, in fact it is different.

Silver isn't going to contribute to a systemic banking collapse.

It's also different depending on your cost basis, and the fact that silver isn't going to zero, and that there are no counterparties or derivatives on the physical silver when it is bought or sold.

Too many people understand banking finance, money creation and fiat currencies now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Yes, in fact it is different.

Tell that to your buying power. Both have nearly the same performance since mid 2011.

Nice insurance. Lol

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 10:24AM

Tell that to your buying power. Both have nearly the same performance since mid 2011.
    Nice insurance. Lol

Hence, the average in, average out over time approach or alternatively the portfolio rebalancing/asset reallocation model.

No biggie.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Nice insurance. Lol

Hence, the average in, average out over time approach or alternatively the portfolio rebalancing/asset reallocation model.

No biggie.

That's usually how we rationalize our losers.

• Options

FIFY:

That's usually how cohodk rationalizes his losers.

Some of us haven't deviated from the above plan, and some of us are still buying at these decent price levels.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    FIFY:

That's usually how cohodk rationalizes his losers.

Some of us haven't deviated from the above plan, and some of us are still buying at these decent price levels.

So I guess you are saying the guy who owns DB at $5 is still content. After all he doesnt have a loss, right?

• Options
    edited May 30, 2019 9:58AM

So I guess you are saying the guy who owns DB at $5 is still content. After all he doesnt have a loss, right?

Not exactly. Do you know that someone? :)

That piece of paper is still exactly that - a piece of paper. The metals that I hold are actually as real today as they were when I first took delivery. They haven't changed at all, as far as I can tell.

And no, he doesn't have a loss yet.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

And no, he doesn't have a loss yet.

All I can comment is LOL. You are a salesman's best friend

This discussion has been closed.