Home Precious Metals
Options

~the Official, perpetual, "It's kinda SHTF but the US Dollar hasn't collaped yet" thead~

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job in optimizing your health Pragmaticgoat. Now if we could just figure out what "year" miners will stop tanking. image

Another interesting thought is that even with the most healthy diet you probably aren't optimizing your health if you're not supplementing with certain vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics, etc. Vitamin D3 is getting a lot of press these days but few people understand it and how to get it. Suffice to say unless you're an Eskimo, odds of getting adequate Vit D3 for optimum health and disease prevention from the typical western diet alone is close to 0%. Doctors have been chasing cholesterol for 40 years as the "it thing" for preventing heart disease when in reality it's probably a secondary or tertiary factor. It's oxidized LDL cholesterol that causes big problems. Most doctors (PCP's) are still chasing after the wrong things and prescribing meds for symptoms rather than addressing root causes. But, if one optimizes diet/lifestyle, odds are excellent they'll put things in the right balance.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ate Bohemian food today. Tomorrow I hope the SHTS ( stool)
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>odds of getting adequate Vit D3 for optimum health and disease prevention from the typical western diet alone is close to 0%. >>

Few supplements will have any real positive affect for those on the typical western diet. It is like using a fuel additive after dumping sand in your gas tank.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>odds of getting adequate Vit D3 for optimum health and disease prevention from the typical western diet alone is close to 0%. >>

Few supplements will have any real positive affect for those on the typical western diet. It is like using a fuel additive after dumping sand in your gas tank. >>

Maybe so and maybe not. But Vit D3 from the sun is not a supplement as it was designed to function with nature. It's free and readily available at least 6 months out of the year in most of the USA during mid-day. It will have a positive effect on your body regardless of your diet. The western diet might be lacking in many areas, but it's no reason to throw in the towel on everything else. The medical community has scared the public out of the sun, resulting in many negative consequences. I can think of a number of vitamins and mineral supplements that would do well for those with lousy diets. The lousier the diet, the more you probably need them because you aren't getting an adequate amount otherwise.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D3 from the sun is not a supplement as it was designed to function with nature. It's free and readily available at least 6 months out of the year in most of the USA during mid-day.

300+ days a year over in Baleyville.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>. The medical community has scared the public out of the sun, >>

Yeah. Folks are slathering on Elmers glue to block those harmful rays. Remarkable that the Sun is toxic but the X-rays, Cat scans and MRI's are inert.
  • Options
    Australia G20 Meeting agrees to bail-in the world's top 30 banks

This bank analyst says the biggest banks will survive by bailing-in via depositor money. It's the smaller banks that will have a problem. Interesting 20 min. video.

Financial Stability Board - what's that????

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>. The medical community has scared the public out of the sun, >>

I am a mutant ginger. The sun scares me out of the sun, never needed a doc to tell me that, ha!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    q
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Im glad we agree that eating too much crap makes us fat.

Meanwhile the yield on the German 10yr bond is 0.67%, and in the USA is 2.22%. The US dollar wont collapse with those metrics.

True, I am an uninformed idiot. I hope someone copies that to the "quotable quotes" thread. image

• Options

<< <i>Meanwhile the yield on the German 10yr bond is 0.67%, and in the USA is 2.22%. The US dollar wont collapse with those metrics. >>

Thank you for bringing this thread back, Cohodk.

With a sliding Euro, American products sold in the E zone will either have to rise in price which is inflationary or will remain stagnant in price, putting the squeeze on US profits.

In the inflationary scenario, how are near or sub 1% 10 year Euro note rates sustainable? In a declining SP500 profit scenario, how is 2000 on the index sustainable.

Perhaps they will put the fix in in Davos.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Meanwhile the yield on the German 10yr bond is 0.67%, and in the USA is 2.22%. The US dollar wont collapse with those metrics. >>

Thank you for bringing this thread back, Cohodk.

With a sliding Euro, American products sold in the E zone will either have to rise in price which is inflationary or will remain stagnant in price, putting the squeeze on US profits.

In the inflationary scenario, how are near or sub 1% 10 year Euro note rates sustainable? In a declining SP500 profit scenario, how is 2000 on the index sustainable.

Perhaps they will put the fix in in Davos. >>

Japan has had near zero rates for a decade+. Why cant Europe?

Yes, there probably would be some pressure on US corporate profits. So what? This is just part of a normal and typical economic cycle. The stock market could easily drop 10-20%. So what? Again this is part of a normal and typical economic cycle. Stocks have dropped 10-20% dozens of times. TSHNHTF either time.

Markets can correct excess either thru price correction or via time. It is possible that 5 years from now the SP500 is still at 2000. This will have corrected any excess and set the stage for another leg higher.

• Options

The irony of the crisis of everyone having too much to eat, and the variety of foods being too rich and tasty for our own good, on a "SHTF-TEOTWAWKI" thread, has not gone unnoticed image

• Options

<< <i>Im glad we agree that eating too much crap makes us fat.

The irony of the crisis of everyone having too much to eat, and the variety of foods being too rich and tasty for our own good, on a "SHTF-TEOTWAWKI" thread, has not gone unnoticed image >>

Indeed. I hope we do not fail to notice the irony of extending the human life span.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check back with us in about 15 years.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

The irony of the crisis of everyone having too much to eat, and the variety of foods being too rich and tasty for our own good, on a "SHTF-TEOTWAWKI" thread, has not gone unnoticed image >>

Indeed. I hope we do not fail to notice the irony of extending the human life span. >>

Oh, don't worry, the globalists are working hard on shortening that life span by getting everyone sick with their eugenics soft kill agenda of poisoning the food, vaccines, and water supply. And when these things do get a person sick, we have eugenics based BO care for the ptb to determine who gets to live or die. How convenient, huh?
  • Options
    Oh, don't worry, the globalists are working hard on shortening that life span by getting everyone sick with their eugenics soft kill agenda of poisoning the food, vaccines, and water supply. And when these things do get a person sick, we have eugenics based BO care for the ptb to determine who gets to live or die. How convenient, huh?

Don't forget the additives that cause paranoid delusions, persecution complex, and conspiracy theory syndrome.

• Options

<< <i>Oh, don't worry, the globalists are working hard on shortening that life span by getting everyone sick with their eugenics soft kill agenda of poisoning the food, vaccines, and water supply. And when these things do get a person sick, we have eugenics based BO care for the ptb to determine who gets to live or die. How convenient, huh?

Don't forget the additives that cause paranoid delusions, persecution complex, and conspiracy theory syndrome. >>

Yeah, the CIA weaponized the term 'conspiracy theory' decades ago to prevent and discredit truth from getting out. Their campaign obviously works on some who never want to know how this world really operates.

<<“Conspiracy theory” is a term that at once strikes fear and anxiety in the hearts of most every public figure, particularly journalists and academics. Since the 1960s the label has become a disciplinary device that has been overwhelmingly effective in defining certain events off limits to inquiry or debate. Especially in the United States raising legitimate questions about dubious official narratives destined to inform public opinion (and thereby public policy) is a major thought crime that must be cauterized from the public psyche at all costs.

Conspiracy theory’s acutely negative connotations may be traced to liberal historian Richard Hofstadter’s well-known fusillades against the “New Right.” Yet it was the Central Intelligence Agency that likely played the greatest role in effectively “weaponizing” the term. In the groundswell of public skepticism toward the Warren Commission’s findings on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, the CIA sent a detailed directive to all of its bureaus. Titled “Countering Criticism of the Warren Commission Report,” the dispatch played a definitive role in making the “conspiracy theory” term a weapon to be wielded against almost any individual or group calling the government’s increasingly clandestine programs and activities into question.>>

Read the document here:

CIA weaponized term conspiracy theory
  • Options
    Conspiractists are geniuses because they can never be proven wrong. Or is that just a symptom of poor self esteem and lack of confidence transformed into arrogance and ego?

Conspiracies work because people like to think they are smart. And since a conspiracy cannot be proven wrong, conspiracists think they are smarter than everyone else. Playing to ones ego is the best way to manipulate.

Now thats irony.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, don't worry, the globalists are working hard on shortening that life span by getting everyone sick with their eugenics soft kill agenda of poisoning the food, vaccines, and water supply. And when these things do get a person sick, we have eugenics based BO care for the ptb to determine who gets to live or die. How convenient, huh?

Don't forget the additives that cause paranoid delusions, persecution complex, and conspiracy theory syndrome. >>

On that thought, olanzapine, may be a chemical compound and not the best for most, but it clearly, does have some value for certain people...if they take it anyway, good grief.
  • Options

<< <i>Conspiractists are geniuses because they can never be proven wrong. Or is that just a symptom of poor self esteem and lack of confidence transformed into arrogance and ego? >>

All one has to do is look around at this world we are living in, and anyone with common sense can see the problems. Things like cancer are literally exploding off of the charts at record levels. Autism is becoming the norm, not the exception. Iq's are lowering. I could go on and on, but it won't matter to some. They will just sit back and laugh and mock informed individuals because they buy the bull that the ptb places before them on mainstream tv news.
  • Options

<< <i>

Indeed. I hope we do not fail to notice the irony of extending the human life span. >>

Indeed. That ensures more profits to the health care system that has to treat the sickly 50-80 yr olds. Along with that increased lifespan should come a better quality of life (ie less disease). Are we getting that?
    Seems to me that major diseases have been starting earlier than ever. Diabetes used to be something that didn't show up until your 60's. Now it seems to show up with regularity in the 40's and 50's. So is dealing
    with diabetes for 30-40 years in that "increased lifespan" going to be like? This is just one example. The irony of extending the human life doesn't escape me in the least. But what about the conspiracies that say everything
    is just great?

I'm glad we agree that eating too much crap makes us fat.

That's only half the battle. The other half is that eating a non-crap diet can still get you fat and lead to disease. Just avoiding obvious junk food is not the ticket to good health. It's just one ticket punch of many items needed.
  • Options
    Don't forget the additives that cause paranoid delusions, persecution complex, and conspiracy theory syndrome.

Conspiractists are geniuses because they can never be proven wrong. Or is that just a symptom of poor self esteem and lack of confidence transformed into arrogance and ego?

Conspiracies work because people like to think they are smart. And since a conspiracy cannot be proven wrong, conspiracists think they are smarter than everyone else. Playing to ones ego is the best way to manipulate.

Now thats irony.

On that thought, olanzapine, may be a chemical compound and not the best for most, but it clearly, does have some value for certain people...if they take it anyway, good grief.

Here's irony. In the space of 3 short posts, we've observed how a real conspiracy will be ignored because to call it out will be politically incorrect to the extent that you will be deemed paranoid, delusional, suffering from poor self-esteem and a persecution complex, insufferably egotistical, and will need to be medicated, probably against your will.

And yet, we see real conspiracies exposed every day. Right now, the debate in Congress and in the Supreme Court is whether or not ACA was passed in a conspiratorial manner to achieve objectives that were designed in a conspiratorial way behind closed doors by elitists who know more and are much smarter than you, according to them.

But that's okay. Ignore it. Call anyone who questions it an idiot or crazy, or both. What will it take for yo'wse guys?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget the additives that cause paranoid delusions, persecution complex, and conspiracy theory syndrome.

Now thats irony.

Here's irony. In the space of 3 short posts, we've observed how a real conspiracy will be ignored because to call it out will be politically incorrect to the extent that you will be deemed paranoid, delusional, suffering from poor self-esteem and a persecution complex, insufferably egotistical, and will need to be medicated, probably against your will.

And yet, we see real conspiracies exposed every day. Right now, the debate in Congress and in the Supreme Court is whether or not ACA was passed in a conspiratorial manner to achieve objectives that were designed in a conspiratorial way for conspiratorial objectives.

But that's okay. Ignore it. >>

Thanks, brother. image
  • Options
    Revised rant, see above.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>But that's okay. Ignore it. >>

6 plus years of conspiracy is tiring. Perhaps those that ignore it are better off, in an ignorance is bliss sort of way.
  • Options

<< <i>Japan has had near zero rates for a decade+. Why cant Europe? >>

As well, Japan has been in deep recession for 25 years. Is keeping a real return out of the Japanese (and now European) investors hands positive for growth, especially as the negative return expands with price increases?

Since 2008 the US has been focused on artificially low interest rates to spur spending, while stomping on the throats of savers who participate in commerce as well*.

*Yes, yes I know that every octogenarian was supposed to invest in the stock market near the bottom and wait for maestro Yellen to lower the baton, signaling an orderly exit for the masses, but clearly many clutched their zero return passbooks, and frankly avoided a bigger bubble and bust by keeping the assets close to home.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Japan has had near zero rates for a decade+. Why cant Europe? >>

As well, Japan has been in deep recession for 25 years. Is keeping a real return out of the Japanese (and now European) investors hands positive for growth, especially as the negative return expands with price increases?

Since 2008 the US has been focused on artificially low interest rates to spur spending, while stomping on the throats of savers who participate in commerce as well*.

*Yes, yes I know that every octogenarian was supposed to invest in the stock market near the bottom and wait for maestro Yellen to lower the baton, signaling an orderly exit for the masses, but clearly many clutched their zero return passbooks, and frankly avoided a bigger bubble and bust by keeping the assets close to home. >>

Well if those savers would have just invested a portion in the stock market those savers would have been rewarded. Instead many stood on the side lines bunkered in waiting for the other shoe to drop which it didn't. Still tons of money on the sidelines....................Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Well if those savers would have just invested a portion in the stock market those savers would have been rewarded. >>

It is always easy to see the obvious after the fact. One can examine a boatload of asset classes, houses, metals, Swiss francs, shipping freight.....after the fact and declare what the other guy should have done.

None of that however is an excuse for a sovereign nation, or worse a coalition of them to flip the open and free market on its side.
  • Options
    Cypress style bail-ins coming to a G20 nation near you

USD/YEN currency cross is in danger of breaking down after a 3-1/2 year rally. This has been the primary driver of gold's decline since 2011. A break of 117.23 should do it (0.2% away). If so, gold's big gap down at $1304
    from mid-August should act as a pulling point.

The dollar's euphoric rally on Friday from the 321K jobs report was retraced Mon and Tuesday. In 3 days the dollar is back to where it was 5 weeks ago. It's gapped down tonight and looks in serious trouble of maintaining
    the current 7 month rally. A gap fill from several weeks ago at 87.66 would be a good sign it's time to repair the charts.

FED monetary mania & shale bubble

24 year war cycle coming back into play to recover economies?

• Options
    if those savers would have just invested a portion in the stock market those savers would have been rewarded. Instead many stood on the side lines bunkered in waiting for the other shoe to drop

Some of those savers understand fundamentals and know that successful wealth management requires patience and the ability to do nothing at times. There are no "sidelines" when it comes to money management. You're taking a position whether you want to or not. The only question is what type of position you intend to take.

I know what position I've taken since 1998, and it hasn't changed much since then. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act in 1999 gave me cause to believe that I was correct in taking that position. Your first clues were the dot.com blowup and the real estate bubble. Those should have given anyone reason for serious reflection.

If 2008 and all of the bailouts, QE and changes in accounting standards haven't convinced you that there really is something amiss, nothing really will. Heck, there haven't even been any attempts to fix the systemic problems and all of them have only ballooned in size compared to 2008.

All of the markets are connected, and they're all able to make instantaneous adjustments. I have no doubt that something is spinning out of control as we speak. We just don't get to know what it is until it's pretty much over. It's 10:00PM. Do you know where your money is?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have cash: hedge against deflation.

Have hard assets (real estate, PMs, etc.): hedge against inflation.

Have stocks: ride the hype.

I don't know where it's going, but I hope to minimize the damage.

In the meanwhile: I enjoy my family, friends and the weather here. My country 'tis of thee. I am a happy citizen of Baleyville.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Have cash: hedge against deflation.

Have hard assets (real estate, PMs, etc.): hedge against inflation.

Have stocks: ride the hype.

I don't know where it's going, but I hope to minimize the damage.

In the meanwhile: I enjoy my family, friends and the weather here. My country 'tis of thee. I am a happy citizen of Baleyville. >>

We would make good neighbors. This is my current stance as well

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>if those savers would have just invested a portion in the stock market those savers would have been rewarded. Instead many stood on the side lines bunkered in waiting for the other shoe to drop

Some of those savers understand fundamentals and know that successful wealth management requires patience and the ability to do nothing at times. There are no "sidelines" when it comes to money management. You're taking a position whether you want to or not. The only question is what type of position you intend to take.

I know what position I've taken since 1998, and it hasn't changed much since then. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act in 1999 gave me cause to believe that I was correct in taking that position. Your first clues were the dot.com blowup and the real estate bubble. Those should have given anyone reason for serious reflection.

If 2008 and all of the bailouts, QE and changes in accounting standards haven't convinced you that there really is something amiss, nothing really will. Heck, there haven't even been any attempts to fix the systemic problems and all of them have only ballooned in size compared to 2008.

All of the markets are connected, and they're all able to make instantaneous adjustments. I have no doubt that something is spinning out of control as we speak. We just don't get to know what it is until it's pretty much over. It's 10:00PM. Do you know where your money is? >>

Sidelines= sitting, waiting, watching, in cash and yes it's a position. It's a choice.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well if those savers would have just invested a portion in the stock market those savers would have been rewarded. >>

It is always easy to see the obvious after the fact. One can examine a boatload of asset classes, houses, metals, Swiss francs, shipping freight.....after the fact and declare what the other guy should have done.

None of that however is an excuse for a sovereign nation, or worse a coalition of them to flip the open and free market on its side. >>

You brought it up. I just stated the obvious for those playing at home. Nothing to do with Monday morning quarterbacking.

Since 2008 I've done well in the stock market and real estate. I own Swiss Francs, not as good. I own US dollars. I own PM's bleh.......Some of those that want to "go all in"whether it's cash, PM's , stock market are the real gamblers.

MJ
  • Options
    Household net worth down 0.2%/$140.9 BILL in 3rd quarter?

How can that happen when the stock market and jobs were all booming in the 3rd quarter? Stock market ended September higher than June. All time high on Sept. 19th.

Same question for the value of directly and indirectly held corporate equities falling by $700 billion. ?????

That FED's financial account of the US report shows significant debt increases across the board except for states and local govt's.

Domestic nonfinancial debt outstanding totaled $40.9 trillion and grew at an annualized pace of 4.4%.
    Household debt rose at an annual rate of 2.7% in the third quarter.
    Nonfinancial business debt rose at a rate of 5.2% in the third quarter.
    State and local government debt declined at an annualized rate of 2.8% in the third quarter after rising 1.2% in the second quarter.
    Federal government debt rose at a pace of 7.2% in the third quarter, up from a 2.5% rate in the second quarter.
  • Options
    Stock market ended September higher than June.

Actually the Wilshire 5000 which comprises 5000 companies and is much more representative of the stock market than just the DOW 30 or SP500 was 20,863 on June 30 and 20,760 on Sept 30.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the Bishop Museum 125th Anniversary Then & Now...

"In another example of then versus now, 100 pounds of pineapple cost just $1.50 in 1917, or a penny and a half a pound. In 1954, you could buy a pound of the fruit for 9 cents, and today, $1.59 a pound."

...cuz I thought it was interesting.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be in the same tribe as dpoole.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the long haul my confidence is in my home for shelter. Stocks for security. Gold /silver, platinum/and other metals, for liquidity, and Food for the _____ i hope doesn't hit the fan image Then , my health so that I can keep doing what I really enjoy. Working.

I do have a very nice working relationship with my banker and the I.R.S. They remind me of why I work.
  • Options

<< <i>From the Bishop Museum 125th Anniversary Then & Now...

"In another example of then versus now, 100 pounds of pineapple cost just $1.50 in 1917, or a penny and a half a pound. In 1954, you could buy a pound of the fruit for 9 cents, and today, $1.59 a pound."

...cuz I thought it was interesting. >>

And the 1917 pineapple was pesticide free so the product was more valuable than the fruit harvested today.
  • Options

<< <i>

And the 1917 pineapple was pesticide free so the product was more valuable than the fruit harvested today. >>

It was probably 1/2 the size and riddled with insect holes.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

And the 1917 pineapple was pesticide free so the product was more valuable than the fruit harvested today. >>

It was probably 1/2 the size and riddled with insect holes. >>

And would be rotten by now.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>It was probably 1/2 the size and riddled with insect holes. >>

Probably sweet and ripe and certainly more healthful for the consumer.
  • Options
    Some folks is bound and determined to be miserable now, and pine for life a century ago. (see what i did there? image )

• Options

<< <i>Some folks is bound and determined to be miserable now, and pine for life a century ago. (see what i did there? image ) >>

Only time moves forward. It is our decisions individually and collectively as to whether we progress or regress. Out ability to mechanically harvest and quickly transport food is a positive. Poisoning our food with pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers, especially as most of us depend on others to grow it, is particularly disturbing.

• Options
    Double post.

This never happened in 1934.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It was probably 1/2 the size and riddled with insect holes. >>

No insects. It's paradise doncha-know. image
This discussion has been closed.