Home Precious Metals
Options

~the Official, perpetual, "It's kinda SHTF but the US Dollar hasn't collaped yet" thead~

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure how you arrived at your total cost of $180 with ham costing $2.70 a lb today...In my calculations it would cost less than $60, or about 3 hrs of wages instead of 1 days pay in 1913. >>

My bad. I just looked up Boars Head which is a decent quality brand and it comes in at $6.99 lb. $140 for 20lb would be the correct number. The organic stuff, if available would certainly be $10 or higher.

The $2.99 stuff is not a consideration as the processing makes it nearly unfit for consumption.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    focus not on price inflation but on how you can best deal with it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>focus not on price inflation but on how you can best deal with it. >>

I have no real issue with the inflation per se, but the lying from the fed and the Pinocchio media aping the same no inflation mantra.

That and the willful and wanton destruction of our currency by those in Washington that have zero spending discipline.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>""Ham
    0.251 ................................ 2.693""

1914, Henry Ford raised his hourly employee salaries to $5 a day, with no withholdings or income taxes of any consequence. With that $5 he could purchase 20 pounds of Ham which today would cost $9lb or $180.

Let us consider that ham for a moment. Truly farm raised with absolutely no antibiotics, growth hormones or saline injections at retail. Same goes for the bread and potatoes and every other food that you noted.

Times were not easy 100 years ago, but the food supply was far superior. Pull up some images from Coney Island during that era and you will not see the lumpy, bumpy bodies that result from our modern food production. >>

People are fat because they eat too much, not because of processing. I see plenty of overweight vegetarians and shoppers at Whole Food.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>People are fat because they eat too much, not because of processing. I see plenty of overweight vegetarians and shoppers at Whole Food. >>

Overuse of Antibiotics in food production contributes to obesity. That does not mean that individually we cannot control our weight. I suspect that genetically engineered foods are a factor as well, but do not have the library of date to back up that claim.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>""Ham

1914, Henry Ford raised his hourly employee salaries to $5 a day, with no withholdings or income taxes of any consequence. With that $5 he could purchase 20 pounds of Ham which today would cost $9lb or $180.

Let us consider that ham for a moment. Truly farm raised with absolutely no antibiotics, growth hormones or saline injections at retail. Same goes for the bread and potatoes and every other food that you noted.

Times were not easy 100 years ago, but the food supply was far superior. Pull up some images from Coney Island during that era and you will not see the lumpy, bumpy bodies that result from our modern food production. >>

People are fat because they eat too much, not because of processing. I see plenty of overweight vegetarians and shoppers at Whole Food. >>

Plus they are sitting around watching T.V., playing video games, and spending time on the computer versus the lifestyle from days gone by image
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>focus not on price inflation but on how you can best deal with it. >>

Good advice Derry......I cannot stop inflation.
    I can take actions to mitigate its affects.
    Little benefit gained in continuously complaining about it.
    Often people stop listening to those singing the same sad song over and over and over again.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>Little benefit gained in continuously complaining about it. >>

Very true, but considering the thread title and the 300 posts, were you expecting a discussion about the attributes of Ginger vs Mary Ann?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thursday March 24, 2011 11:07 AM

Roger, willco. Over, and out.

USDX = 75.63

Gold = $1,433.90

Silver = $37.44

12/04/2014:

USDX = 88.62

Gold = $1206.30

Silver = $16.47

The power went out in my neighborhood the other night while we were watching TV...I says to my wife, "Well, I guess the SHTF!" A couple of minutes later, the power came back on. "Guess not!"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Kind of like the 311 pound man that "eats anything that I want". Hasn't yet had a coronary so may as well belly up to the table and enjoy a a couple of cheeseburgers with all the fixins.
  • Options

<< <i>The power went out in my neighborhood the other night while we were watching TV...I says to my wife, "Well, I guess the SHTF!" A couple of minutes later, the power came back on. "Guess not!" >>

Sounds like 2008. Did they make the necessary repairs are just tape things back together?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>""Ham

People are fat because they eat too much, not because of processing. I see plenty of overweight vegetarians and shoppers at Whole Food. >>

People are fat because of the chemicals they are putting in the food. They are literally poisoning the population. GMO is a nightmare we will not even understand how destructive it is to humans until a little later in years. All part of the globalists' eugenics soft kill agenda.
  • Options
    Long-term Study: GMOs Cause Weight Gain:

According to Norwegian scientists, there is a positive link between genetically modified corn and obesity.

Results from studies carried out over a ten-year period showed that animals fed a diet of genetically modified corn (which comprises 80-90 percent of the current U.S. crop and is banned in several other nations) got fatter quicker and retained the weight compared to those on a non-GMO diet.

The animals studied included rats, mice, pigs and salmon, who all showed the same results.

Researchers from the nations of Austria, Hungary, Ireland, Turkey and Australia participated in the study, which is still not widely known in the United States despite its important conclusions due to media blackouts.

In a perfect world such a study would launch more investigations on a wider scale with even more controlled variables, but instead, Americans have been kept in the dark and continue to consume GMOs without regard for the many likely side effects.

Some of these were also demonstrated in the study, including inflamed intestines, digestive system damage and significant changes in the animals’ major organs.

“The ones who had fed on GM corn were slightly larger, they ate slightly more, their intestines had a different micro-structure, they were less able to digest proteins, and there were some changes to their immune system,” said professor Ashild Krogdahl, who led the study, conducted at the Norwegian Veterinary College.

The inability to digest protein is often a precursor to major diseases as well.

GMO causes weight gain

obesity linked to food chemicals
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

GMO's might cause weight gain I agree but on the other hand lazy fat slobs can gain weight pretty well without help.

Here is an easy first dieting step for the average american . When you have your morning coffee drink it black instead of dissolving a half a stick of butter in it.

• Options

<< <i>GMO's might cause weight gain I agree but on the other hand lazy fat slobs can gain weight pretty well without help.

Here is an easy first dieting step for the average american . When you have your morning coffee drink it black instead of dissolving a half a stick of butter in it.

image >>

With all due respect, Bronco, there is no "maybe" to it. It has been scientifically proven that the GMO's and chemicals in the food are the main reasons for the major increase in obesity. Like I said, they are poisoning us intentionally. Not to mention toxins like fluoride and chlorine in the public drinking water. Fluoride has been proven in Harvard studies to lower IQ's, as well as cause bone cancer, and chlorine hardens your arteries amongst many other harmful reactions in the body. The ptb are literally forcing this into our food and water supplies.

As for your last comment about the dieting step, you obviously did not read the link I attached above talking about chemicals in food increase obesity. Please read it to further educate yourself on this issue.
  • Options
    Obesity is a result of malnutrition. The body will crave food until the nutritional requirements are satisfied. Difficult to do today when one consumes the garbage noted by StanTheMan.

I have taken a few light hearted jabs for buying organically grown foods and paying premium prices. $15 a pound for nuts is not user friendly and undoubtedly some chemicals slip in due to unintentional mislabeling or fraud, but it sure beats the irradiated, GMO, Monsanto filth that most of us consume.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thursday March 24, 2011 11:07 AM

Roger, willco. Over, and out.

USDX = 75.63

Gold = $1,433.90

Silver = $37.44

12/04/2014:

USDX = 88.62

Gold = $1206.30

Silver = $16.47
    >>

It appears that indeed the dollar is collapsing. The facts are right there in front of our faces. The dollar is collapsing UPWARD!

"Worthless fiat" has never been worth so much.

Tyler
  • Options

<< <i>"Worthless fiat" has never been worth so much. >>

At a glance day keeper cost me $28 today, with tax. Essentially a book with nothing in it. Yeah, the Dollar is a veritable bulwark.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GMO's might cause weight gain I agree but on the other hand lazy fat slobs can gain weight pretty well without help.

image >>

With all due respect, Bronco, there is no "maybe" to it. It has been scientifically proven that the GMO's and chemicals in the food are the main reasons for the major increase in obesity. Like I said, they are poisoning us intentionally. Not to mention toxins like fluoride and chlorine in the public drinking water. Fluoride has been proven in Harvard studies to lower IQ's, as well as cause bone cancer, and chlorine hardens your arteries amongst many other harmful reactions in the body. The ptb are literally forcing this into our food and water supplies.

As for your last comment about the dieting step, you obviously did not read the link I attached above talking about chemicals in food increase obesity. Please read it to further educate yourself on this issue. >>

Are you talking about the results of "elevated fluoride exposure" tests from 2012 that were conducted in China and India? Or the more recent Dunedin Multidisciplinary Study conducted in New Zealand, drawing data from a large study of 1,000 people? Results: "Our analysis showed no significant differences in IQ by fluoride exposure, even before controlling for the other factors that might influence scores."
    GMO's could play a role in obesity, but are not the primary cause. Sugar appears to be the culprit.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

At a glance day keeper cost me $28 today, with tax. Essentially a book with nothing in it. Yeah, the Dollar is a veritable bulwark. >>

Yup...almost 2 oz of silver....just think, a couple of years ago it would have cost you only 1 oz of silverimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

At a glance day keeper cost me $28 today, with tax. Essentially a book with nothing in it. Yeah, the Dollar is a veritable bulwark. >>

How did you get out your wallet, with your arm twisted behind your back to make you make the purchase? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

As for your last comment about the dieting step, you obviously did not read the link I attached above talking about chemicals in food increase obesity. Please read it to further educate yourself on this issue. >>

Are you talking about the results of "elevated fluoride exposure" tests from 2012 that were conducted in China and India? Or the more recent Dunedin Multidisciplinary Study conducted in New Zealand, drawing data from a large study of 1,000 people? Results: "Our analysis showed no significant differences in IQ by fluoride exposure, even before controlling for the other factors that might influence scores."
    GMO's could play a role in obesity, but are not the primary cause. Sugar appears to be the culprit. >>

While not "healthy", actual sugar would be better/safer for people than chemical sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup. Proof of that is when they took out actual sugar and replaced it with HFCS their has been an increase in obesity. Years ago, all products had real sugar and people consumed a good amount of it and were no where near the size they are today. There was no where near the amount of diabetes and obesity we see these days, either. You are another person who obviously doesn't want to read or accept the scientific studies on GMO's and chemicals in food that proves they cause obesity. We are being poisoned.

As for fluoride, all one has to do is type dangers of fluoride into any search engine to see for themselves instead of being misled by people like yourself. Fluoride is a toxin. That is a scientific fact.
  • Options
    No Link Between High Fructose Corn Syrup and Obesity?

The new report, published in the International Journal of Obesity, says there is no evidence to suggest that the U.S. obesity epidemic can be blamed on HFCS consumption.2 The authors reviewed existing HFCS research and concluded that there are no short-term health differences (such as weight gain, appetite, insulin or glucose levels) between the use of HFCS and sugar (sucrose), noting that both are similar in composition and absorbed identically in the GI tract.

This is the most common argument used by the corn industry to support their agenda that HFCS is safe. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50 percent glucose and 50 percent fructose. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is anywhere from 42 to 55 percent fructose depending on which type is used.

While it's true that they are similar in composition – their parts are metabolized very differently in your body. Because high-fructose corn syrup contains free-form monosaccharides of fructose and glucose, it cannot be considered biologically equivalent to sucrose, which has a glycosidic bond that links the fructose and glucose together, and which slows its break down in the body.

Even if this obvious metabolic difference were not present, it is important to point out that glucose is the form of energy your body is designed to run on. Every cell in your body uses glucose for energy, and it's metabolized in every organ of your body; about 20 percent of glucose is metabolized in your liver. Fructose, on the other hand, can only be metabolized by your liver, because your liver is the only organ that has the transporter for it.

Fructose is the Real Culprit

Since all fructose gets shuttled to your liver, and, if you eat a typical Western-style diet, you consume high amounts of it, fructose ends up taxing and damaging your liver in the same way alcohol and other toxins do. And just like alcohol, fructose is metabolized directly into fat – not cellular energy, like glucose.

While in times of complete glycogen depletion (i.e. post work-out or true hunger), fructose can be used to replenish these stores, any excess will mostly be converted to fat. So, eating fructose in excess of the very small amount our body can handle is really like eating fat – it just gets stored in your fat cells, which leads to mitochondrial malfunction, obesity and obesity-related diseases.

So both sugar and HFCS play a role in the obesity epidemic, but it's important to understand that the claim you hear on TV, that "sugar is sugar" no matter what form it's in, is a misstatement that can, quite literally, kill you – albeit slowly.

The more fructose a food contains, and the more total fructose you consume, the worse it is for your health.

It's important to note that both sugar and HFCS are problematic, as they both contain similar amounts of fructose, the true culprit. But the reason why HFCS may, in fact, be even worse than table sugar, despite having similar fructose content, is both due to the aforementioned difference in metabolizing it (sucrose's glycosidic bond) and due to its liquid form. When you consume fructose in liquid form, such as drinking a soda, it places an even more intense burden on your liver. The effect on your liver is not only sped up but also magnified.

High Fructose Corn Syrup increases obesity
  • Options
    Fluoride. Dentists say that drinking it can protect your teeth against cavities. Cities and towns all across the world actually dump it into the water supply, hoping to indiscriminately medicate the population through their tap water faucets.

The official story on fluoride sounds wonderful: Drink the stuff, and you won't get cavities, we're told. It's a nice story. But there's another side to this story -- the side you're never told. And it starts with the astonishing but verifiable fact that nearly all the fluoride dripped into municipal water supplies isn't naturally occurring fluoride at all.

In fact, it's actually a combination of hexafluorosilicic acid and sodium silicofluoride.

These two chemical are considered highly toxic by the EPA. They're actually classified as hazardous waste and when packaged for transportation, they must be labeled as poison and handled by workers wearing industrial safety gear.

So what are hexafluorosilicic acid and sodium silicofluoride, and where do they come from?

That's the part of this story that you probably won't believe. That is, not until you check it out yourself. Because the more you look into the mythology of fluoride, the more bizarre this story becomes.

And this bizarre story begins at phosphate mining companies. Phosphate is an important mineral used in fertilizers. It's mined from natural rock deposits scattered across the world, and the phosphate rock is then refined to produce phosphoric acid. If that name sounds familiar, that's because it's one of the main ingredients in carbonated sodas such as Coke and Pepsi. Phosphoric acid is often compared to battery acid. It's a highly acidic liquid that is believed to be the primary reason why drinking sodas can result in kidney stones and a loss of bone mineral density.

Phosphate rock is also used to create fertilizers. The problem is, phosphate is often contaminated with high levels of fluoride -- as much as 40,000 parts per million, or up to 4% of the raw ore. To remove the fluoride, sulfuric acid is added to a wet slurry of phosphate and water. This causes the fluoride to vaporize, creating highly toxic gaseous compounds such as hydrogen fluoride and silicon tetrafluoride.

These toxic fluoride chemicals used to be released directly from the smokestacks of phosphate mining operations, but the nearby farms suffered devastating losses of cattle and food crops which withered away and died due to... guess what? Fluoride poisoning.

In order to stop this environmental destruction, the phosphate mining industry put in place a way to capture the toxic fluoride chemical vapors so that they wouldn't be released into the air and kill the surrounding livestock and vegetation. This was accomplished by installing "wet scrubbers" that captured the toxic fluoride chemicals, preventing them from being released into the environment and killing the plant and animal life living nearby.

It is from these wet scrubbers that toxic fluoride chemicals are now harvested. They're collected, re-packaged, shipped to your local city, then dumped into the municipal water supply. So instead of these toxic fluoride chemicals being released by the phosphate mining smokestacks, they are instead captured, and then released into the water supply of large cities where the chemicals then contaminate the water of millions of people at a time.

This is called water fluoridation.

When dentists and doctors say they support fluoride in the water supply, what they're really saying is that they support the mass poisoning of the population with a highly toxic hazardous waste product that, if it weren't dripped into the water supply, it would have to be disposed of as highly toxic hazardous waste under strict EPA regulations.

Curiously, it is a violation of federal law to dump hexafluorosilicic acid or sodium silicofluoride into the water. Such an act, in fact, is considered an act of terrorism. Yet it is mysteriously allowed today as long as it is accompanied by a loosely-justified claim that "we're doing this to stop cavities."

Fluoride is a toxic waste product as declared by the EPA
  • Options

<< <i>How did you get out your wallet, with your arm twisted behind your back to make you make the purchase? >>

It was actually brain wave zappers that they used!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HF tries very hard to combine with the calcium in your bones, and it doesn't care what gets in its way. Bad stuff.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a compound called sodium saccharin in my business. It gets delivered in 5 gal pales, six on a pallet. It's labeled as a proprietary compound so you have to read the msds to start to figure out what was in these pales.

After you do any initial research, you will never look at pink packets of SWEET N LOW in the same way again.

This compound became popular as a sugar substitute during WW2 when there were sugar shortages.

Moderate small amounts of sugar are OK for most people but these artificial sweeteners will do a number on you.

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>After you do any initial research, you will never look at pink packets of SWEET N LOW in the same way again. >>

Remarkable what folks will consume. Read a label on a loaf of commercial white bread.
  • Options
    People are fatter today because they consume more calories than they burn. PERIOD. Food has never been more available. 40 years ago yoy went to the gas station to buy gas and oil. Now its a 300 calorie fountain soda and an 800 calorie bag of chips.

Obesity has nothing to do with GMOs. This is just more excuses people make for not being responsible for their decision.

Eat less...weigh less. Pretty f..in simple.

• Options
    People are fatter today because they consume more calories than they burn. PERIOD. Food has never been more available. 40 years ago yoy went to the gas station to buy gas and oil. Now its a 300 calorie fountain soda and an 800 calorie bag of chips.

Obesity has nothing to do with GMOs. This is just more excuses people make for not being responsible for their decision.

Eat less...weigh less. Pretty f..in simple.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of being fat, even though it seems counter-intuitive,...simple carbohydrates have a much more detrimental effect on a persons weight and health than animal fat.

• Options

<< <i>People are fatter today because they consume more calories than they burn. PERIOD. Food has never been more available. 40 years ago yoy went to the gas station to buy gas and oil. Now its a 300 calorie fountain soda and an 800 calorie bag of chips.

Eat less...weigh less. Pretty f..in simple. >>

You, sir, are either an uninformed person, or a total idiot. Read any of the SCIENTIFIC studies about GMO's causing weight gain, and the health dangers of GMO's. The stuff is toxic poison.
  • Options

<< <i>

You, sir, are either an uninformed person, or a total idiot. Read any of the SCIENTIFIC studies about GMO's causing weight gain, and the health dangers of GMO's. The stuff is toxic poison. >>

Now why you gotta be that way? image
  • Options
    This thread is useless without a debate on global warming.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You, sir, are either an uninformed person, or a total idiot. Read any of the SCIENTIFIC studies about GMO's causing weight gain, and the health dangers of GMO's. The stuff is toxic poison. >>

Now why you gotta be that way? image >>

What way? There are tons of information out there that proves obesity is linked to the chemicals in the food and the GMO poison. Like I said, either he is uninformed or is a total idiot to ignore the scientific studies that warn about the dangers of GMO's. It's sort of like telling a person to not play in the road or they will get ran over. If they ignore that warning and continue to play in the road, then that person is nothing short of an idiot. And to be clear, I am not trying to be mean towards Cohodk. Often words can be taken wrong on a message board. I admit I could have stated it in a better manner after going back and reading my post. Honestly, I tend to think he is more than likely just uninformed on the GMO issue and is not aware of just how dangerous they are.

<<GMOs, bigger appetites and the fattening of America
    A long-term project in Norway investigating the health effects of genetically modified foods has come to some startling conclusions regarding the role that GMOs play in the worldwide obesity epidemic. Over a period of 90 days, test rats were fed either food containing genetically modified corn or feed which did not contain GM corn. The scientists discovered that the rats fed a GM corn diet had bigger appetites and grew fatter than those on the non-GM diet. It was also found that rats fed a diet of fish raised on GM corn had a similar result -- increased weight gain.

The study also observed changes in the immune system, intestinal structure and digestive and reproductive organs, as well as alterations in the liver, kidneys, pancreas and adrenal glands of animals who were fed a GM diet. The implications are monumental. That the animals were less able to digest protein and had changes in the gut lining not only influences obesity but can also give rise to a slew of health issues such as colitis, diabetes, digestive disorders, inflammatory bowel disease, autoimmune disorders, sexual dysfunction, sterility, asthma and autism, among many others.

According to the Organic Consumers Association, it's estimated that 75 percent of processed foods contain GMOs -- and 80 percent of all food consumed in the U.S. is processed. It's no surprise that the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) weight gain data shows that obesity has spiked dramatically since the early 1990s -- which just happens to be soon after genetically modified crops were introduced into the food supply.>>

GMOs encourage weight gain

Study Reveals Significant Health Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods
  • Options
    Time for another story:
    Many moons ago, a coworker asked about diet soda. He observed that virtually everyone that drank the stuff was overweight. His innocent observational conclusion was that stuff made you gain weight.

Years after the observation, it came out that the chemicals in diet soda did tend to stimulate appetite, for those that drank the stuff regularly. So while calorie count for that particular drink was less, the appetite was being increased, and weight gain was the typical result. The insidious cycle is that as a person gains more weight, the more likely they are to stay on diet soda. Cha-Ching!

• Options

<< <i>You, sir, are either an uninformed person, or a total idiot. Read any of the SCIENTIFIC studies about GMO's causing weight gain, and the health dangers of GMO's. The stuff is toxic poison. >>

The idiot comments are uncalled for and do nothing to advance the conversation. Not realizing the dangers of GMO's is not widely understood among the general public. Unfortunately there is a general trust that the stuff that is purchased at the corner grocer is relatively safe to consume.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GMO's, artificial sweeteners (high fructose corn syrup), diet soda (misc chemicals), bottled or municipal waters (chlorine, flourine, etc.), soaps-toothpastes-body lotions/deodorants/make ups/sunscreens, and processed foods in general provide a constant batch of internal and external chemical concoction to our bodies. It takes a very well-read and dedicated consumer to avoid this stuff and live a healthier lifestyle. Obesity, diabetes, cancers, heart disease, auto-immune diseases, etc. are heavily influenced by our exposure. Sure, we're still longer today (78 for men) but why not make those last 10 yrs healthier....or push it to 85?

For myself, I could just never lose the extra 25-50 lbs of weight I had gained from age 45 to 55. I just assumed "old" people just can't lose the fat. It wasn't until I completely revamped my diet for the first time since I was 8 yrs old that I found it was "easy" to lose weight again. The biggest change was eliminating many junk foods and also a number of so-called "healthy" foods while replacing them with whole grains/fruits/veggies. Things I rarely eat now include bread, wheat flour, boxed pasta, corn, soda, sweets (sugar), fried foods, cow's milk and cheese, fruit juice (OJ, grape juice, etc.), processed vegetable oils, red meat, excess salt. If you're eating right, it's very hard to eat enough food to keep you satisfied...and to gain weight. But, one little McD's burger with small fries will weigh me down for 4 hours like I ate a boat anchor. When I finally did lose those extra 25-50 lbs, I went another 25 lbs further (from 225 to 160...or what I weighed in 9th grade). I know the "secret" now and have been able to keep the excess weight off for 6 years.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MGLICKER, there is no need to pile on anymore. I explained it was not a personal attack on Cohodk. Please re-read my post above.

roadrunner, that's a good and informative post full of great knowledge on the issue. As you said, it's tough to avoid the poisons they are placing in our food chain these days. Thanks for sharing your personal story. image
  • Options

<< <i>Time for another story:
    Many moons ago, a coworker asked about diet soda. He observed that virtually everyone that drank the stuff was overweight. His innocent observational conclusion was that stuff made you gain weight.

Years after the observation, it came out that the chemicals in diet soda did tend to stimulate appetite, for those that drank the stuff regularly. So while calorie count for that particular drink was less, the appetite was being increased, and weight gain was the typical result. The insidious cycle is that as a person gains more weight, the more likely they are to stay on diet soda. Cha-Ching! >>

Yes, the artificial sweeteners like aspartame is the deadly little poison in diet sodas and many candies/gums these days that does increase weight gain, not loss, as they deceive a person in to believing.

artificial sweeteners cause greater weight gain than sugar
  • Options

<< <i>People are fatter today because they consume more calories than they burn. PERIOD. Food has never been more available. 40 years ago yoy went to the gas station to buy gas and oil. Now its a 300 calorie fountain soda and an 800 calorie bag of chips.

"PERIOD" is far from the truth. The type of food, the mixture of those foods, the time of day, how they were prepared, and numerous other inputs all affect how your body processes that food. The glycemic index and the role of insulin clearly shows that 100 calories of X is not treated the same as 100 calories of Y. There are lots of people that think they are eating healthy and remaining fat, or least have a gut. GMO's are just one part of the assault on our bodies. The simplest of concepts is that your body is very inefficient at trying to digest a mixture of protein, fats, and carbo's all at once. The calories may be the same but the end result isn't. Keep the carbo's away from the the proteins the best you can. I do that by having my fruits between or just before meals. Mixing sugar (or even heavier carbos) with fats hastens the deposition of fat on your body. I agree that most of our diets are too heavy on the carbs and protein, and too light on fruits, veggies, and wholesome unsaturated fats. The stuff on nutrition that we were taught as kids was just plain wrong.

If you have a 2000 cal/day diet of red meats, heavily processed carbs and saturated fats vs. the guy who gets 2000 cal per day on the right stuff, the health of those 2 bodies will be like night and day. Eat less (of the wrong stuff)....and you will weigh less. People are fatter today because they both consume too many calories, the wrong type of calories, in the wrong combinations, at the wrong time of the day. Eat those calories later in the day vs. earlier in the day, and you will likely remain fatter. I would also add that good food has never been less available to the public. It's a chore to go out and food healthful foods at a good price. What is readily available and in record amounts is stuff I wouldn't exactly call "food."

You have to be a lot more than just responsible when deciding what to eat. You almost need an advanced degree in nutrition and body chemistry. You can read the ingredients on the labels but that's only a small part of it. I've read a couple dozen books on the subject over the past 6 years and it's still a work in progress. Foods are tricky. Advertising is even trickier. You can't even believe the labels that state "heart healthy," "mountain grown," "all natural," "free range," "no preservatives," "grass fed," "organic," "USDA approved," "no trans fats," etc. It's not usually what it appears to be. It's a job to keep a step ahead. Our foods are grown in depleted soils far different than from 50-100 yrs ago. We don't get the same amount of nutrients per identical qty of food. Again, more work to figure out how to cover that shortfall. Sure, you can live to be 78 eating a normal USDA concoction of processed foods. What you have some control over is how many pills you take and what types of chronic disease you have when you reach your 60's, 70's and 80's.

Flouride and Chlorides are simply oxidants. And oxidants in your body create havoc robbing electrons from other cells and structures. If you eat a fairly plentiful diet of processed foods, you can be pretty sure your level of anti-oxidants to combat those toxins is inadequate. That same processed diet heavy in milk, coffee/caffeine, diet soda, sugar, etc. does a number to take calcium from your bones and deposit in your soft tissues and blood vessels. Another example where 1 calorie is not equal to the other calorie. I've known people that once they got heavy, couldn't lose the weight because of what and how they ate, not the number of calories. In essence, they had lowered their metabolisms where the problem was way beyond just calorie counting. They actually needed to eat more calories, better calories, and at the proper times to restoke their metabolism fires.

• Options
    Well, wasn't that informative.

Now, if you have lost faith in the good old USA...read this little diddy from the old grey lady
    Link help appreciated
    Everybody knows we are going to hell in a hand basket but the rest of the world seems to think it must still smell like a rose

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/style/in-los-angeles-a-nimby-battle-pits-millionaires-vs-billionaires.html
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Well, wasn't that informative.

Now, if you have lost faith in the good old USA...read this little diddy from the old grey lady
    Link help appreciated
    Everybody knows we are going to hell in a hand basket but the rest of the world seems to think it must still smell like a rose

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/style/in-los-angeles-a-nimby-battle-pits-millionaires-vs-billionaires.html >>

Linky

Millionaire vs. Billionaire, but possibly with J6P the one losing out the most. Similar situation in our 200 home lake community where additions, renovations, and rebuilds are raising the local sky line and changing the entire character of the area. The primary culprits are the more valuable homes/properties that border the lake. Whatever "lake views" used to exist for those living on the other side of the street are disappearing as these upgraded homes get taller, wider and longer. I can sort of see down the road the homes further from the lake shores becoming empty as the beach properties flourish. Big foreign money came into Los Angeles RE in the later 1980's...and got hammered in the end. Any chance of a do-over? A friend of mine lives about 30 minutes outside Long Beach and typical home prices there are $450-$500K vs the 2006-2007 highs of $600K+.
  • Options
    Thanks for the linky RR,
    I'm still challenged..
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Re big money coming into SoCal RE in the mid 80's.....

IIRC, a big chunk was Japanese Auto money snapping up high end Golf and Office properties. With the change in valuation of the Yen and business climate- the Japanese ended selling many of those back to US syndicators for 50cents.

Now it's SE Asia and Middle East money. Only time will tell.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Re big money coming into SoCal RE in the mid 80's.....

IIRC, a big chunk was Japanese Auto money snapping up high end Golf and Office properties. With the change in valuation of the Yen and business climate- the Japanese ended selling many of those back to US syndicators for 50cents.

Now it's SE Asia and Middle East money. Only time will tell. >>

I remember in the late 80's a lot of Japanese money flowing into places like Winter Park CO . I was a ski bum at the time and I used to get a kick out of seeing Japanese people walking around in cowboy boots and ten gallon hats . They were buying up local watering holes and motels too. I think they were all gone by 94 or so.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, wasn't that informative.

Link help appreciated

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/style/in-los-angeles-a-nimby-battle-pits-millionaires-vs-billionaires.html >>

Streeter, One of the things I have learned overtime, is one of the main unalienable rights for men, one that they will doggedly fight for, even in the face of all pragmatic thought or reason, is the right to pi$$ and moan, even when the end of the world is at least a couple of months off image
  • Options
    Lots of Russian oligarch money was driving up NYC real estate prices. That may be quickly diminishing.
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

"PERIOD" is far from the truth. The type of food, the mixture of those foods, the time of day, how they were prepared, and numerous other inputs all affect how your body processes that food. The glycemic index and the role of insulin clearly shows that 100 calories of X is not treated the same as 100 calories of Y. There are lots of people that think they are eating healthy and remaining fat, or least have a gut. GMO's are just one part of the assault on our bodies. The simplest of concepts is that your body is very inefficient at trying to digest a mixture of protein, fats, and carbo's all at once. The calories may be the same but the end result isn't. Keep the carbo's away from the the proteins the best you can. I do that by having my fruits between or just before meals. Mixing sugar (or even heavier carbos) with fats hastens the deposition of fat on your body. I agree that most of our diets are too heavy on the carbs and protein, and too light on fruits, veggies, and wholesome unsaturated fats. The stuff on nutrition that we were taught as kids was just plain wrong.

If you have a 2000 cal/day diet of red meats, heavily processed carbs and saturated fats vs. the guy who gets 2000 cal per day on the right stuff, the health of those 2 bodies will be like night and day. Eat less (of the wrong stuff)....and you will weigh less. People are fatter today because they both consume too many calories, the wrong type of calories, in the wrong combinations, at the wrong time of the day. Eat those calories later in the day vs. earlier in the day, and you will likely remain fatter. I would also add that good food has never been less available to the public. It's a chore to go out and food healthful foods at a good price. What is readily available and in record amounts is stuff I wouldn't exactly call "food."

You have to be a lot more than just responsible when deciding what to eat. You almost need an advanced degree in nutrition and body chemistry. You can read the ingredients on the labels but that's only a small part of it. I've read a couple dozen books on the subject over the past 6 years and it's still a work in progress. Foods are tricky. Advertising is even trickier. You can't even believe the labels that state "heart healthy," "mountain grown," "all natural," "free range," "no preservatives," "grass fed," "organic," "USDA approved," "no trans fats," etc. It's not usually what it appears to be. It's a job to keep a step ahead. Our foods are grown in depleted soils far different than from 50-100 yrs ago. We don't get the same amount of nutrients per identical qty of food. Again, more work to figure out how to cover that shortfall. Sure, you can live to be 78 eating a normal USDA concoction of processed foods. What you have some control over is how many pills you take and what types of chronic disease you have when you reach your 60's, 70's and 80's.

Flouride and Chlorides are simply oxidants. And oxidants in your body create havoc robbing electrons from other cells and structures. If you eat a fairly plentiful diet of processed foods, you can be pretty sure you level of anti-oxidants to combat those toxins is inadequate. That same processed diet heavy in milk, coffee/caffeine, diet soda, sugar, etc. does a number to take calcium from your bones and deposit in your soft tissues and blood vessels. Another example where 1 calorie is not equal to the other calorie. I've known people that once they got heavy, they couldn't lost the weight because of what and how they ate, not the number of calories. In essence, they had lowered their metabolisms where the problem was way beyond just calorie counting. They actually needed to eat more calories, better calories, and at the proper times. >>

+1 RR great info and I agree from my personal transformation of what your saying. From 245lbs to 165lbs after I woke up and started paying attention to what I was doing to this body. No blood pressure pills, no cholesterol meds, no depression meds, all gone for two years now. Much better investment than anything else I can think of. image
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 RR great info and I agree from my personal transformation of what your saying. From 245lbs to 165lbs after I woke up and started paying attention to what I was doing to this body. No blood pressure pills, no cholesterol meds, no depression meds, all gone for two years now. Much better investment than anything else I can think of.image

Wow! Congrats, PG and RR. image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
This discussion has been closed.